Search for tag "Election"
|1923 12 Mar
||Shoghi Effendi writes to Bahá'ís in America, Great Britain, Germany, France, Switzerland, Italy, Japan and Australasia about Bahá'í administration, outlining the process for annual elections of assemblies and calling for the establishment of local and national funds. [BA34-43; PP330]
- See ER223-4 for the response of the British Bahá'ís.
||Shoghi Effendi; Baha'i administration; annual elections; local and national funds
|1927 29 Apr
||The British delegates, at their first National Convention, elects ten members as there is an equal number of votes for ninth and tenth places. [ER253; UD70–1]
- One of the members is a Rev. Biggs. [ER253; UD71]
- Shoghi Effendi writes on 13 May recommending that next year the number of members be strictly confined to nine. In an earlier letter written on his behalf he explained that all of the delegates were to choose nine members of the National Assembly from all of those eligible. Prior to that time the understanding was that, for example, the London delegates would vote for a proportional number of persons from the London area, the Manchester delegates would choose a number of members based on their proportion of the total Bahá'í population. [ER253; UD70, SETEP1p140]
||NSA; election; Rev. Biggs
|1960 12 Jul
||Horace Hotchkiss Holley, Hand of the Cause of God, passes away in Haifa. (b. 7 April, 1887 in Torrington, CT) [MC226-227, BW13:849]
- Shoghi Effendi had appointed him among the first contingent on the 24th of December, 1951. [MoCxxiii]
- For his obituary see BW13:849–858.
- For cable from the Hands of the Cause see MC217–18.
- See also SBR214-247, LoF253-264 and Holley, Horace Hotchkiss
by R. Jackson Armstrong-Ingram.
His publications Bahaism: The Modern Social Religion,
Religion for Mankind,
Bahai, The Spirit of the Age,
Baha'i Scriptures; Selections from the Utterances of Bahaʼuʼllah and Abdul Baha,
Divinations and Creation,
The World Economy of Baháʼuʼlláh,
The Inner Garden; A Book of Verse .
|Haifa; Torrington; CT
||Horace Holley; Hand of the Cause of God; In Memoriam; Appointment Hand - First Contingent; Bahaism: The Modern Social Religion; Religion for Mankind; World Unity; Bahai; The Spirit of the Age; Baha'i Scriptures; Selections from the Utterances of Bahaʼuʼllah and Abdul Baha; Read-aloud Plays; Divinations and Creation; The World Economy of Baháʼuʼlláh; The Inner Garden; A Book of Verse
|1963 21 Apr
||The Universal House of Justice is elected for the first time. [BW14:427; MC424]
- The election is held at 9:30 in the morning at the home of ‘Abdu’l-Bahá, 7 Haparsim Street, Haifa. [BW14:427; MC425]
- Ballots are received from all 56 national spiritual assemblies. [BW14:427]
- 288 members of 51 national spiritual assemblies are present at the election. [BW14:427]
- For a list of the electors see MC406–13.
- For details of the election see BW14:425–9 and MC20–1.
||The Universal House of Justice is elected for a second time by delegates from 81 National Spiritual Assemblies. [BW15:557]
- Dr David Ruhe is elected to replace Dr Hakím, who resigned for reasons of ill health. The members were: Amoz Gibson, 'Ali Nakhjavani, Hushmand Fatheazam, Ian Semple, Charles Wolcott, David Hofman, H. Borrah Kavelin, Hugh Chance and David Ruhe. [VV3]
- For a description of the second international convention and pictures see BW14:564–8.
||International Convention; Election; David Ruhe; UHJ
||The Universal House of Justice is elected for the third time. The conference was attended by 472 National Spiritual Assembly members of the possible 1,017 from the 113 National and Regional Assemblies. Members of 14 Assemblies were prevented from attending for circumstances beyond their control but at least one person attended from the remaining 99 Assemblies. [VV14, SDSC296]
||The Universal House of Justice is elected for the fourth time at the International Convention held in Haifa. [BW17:293]
- For details of the International Convention and pictures see BW17:293–300.
||Election; UHJ; International Convention
|1993 29 Apr - 2 May
||The Seventh Bahá'í International Convention at the World Centre. Those elected to the Universal House of Justice were: Mr. Ali Nakhjavani, Mr. Glenford Mitchell, Mr. Adib Taherzadeh, Mr. Ian Semple, Mr. Peter Khan, Mr. Houshman Fatheazam, Mr. Hooper Dunbar, Mr. Farzam Arbab and Mr. Douglas Martin. [BINS295] [BW93-4p51-58]
- Hugh Chance and David Ruhe announce their retirement. Mr. Chance served since 1963 and Dr. Ruhe since 1968. [BINS295] [BS93-4p57]
- For a report of the Convention see BW93–4:51–8.
- For pictures see BW93–4:52, 53, 54, 57.
||Election of the Universal House of Justice; Mr. Ali Nakhjavani; Mr. Glenford Mitchell; Mr. Adib Taherzadeh; Mr. Ian Semple; Mr. Peter Khan; Mr. Houshman Fatheazam; Mr. Hooper Dunbar; Mr. Farzam Arbab; Mr. Douglas Martin; Hugh Chance; David Ruhe
|2017 18 Jan
||The announcement of the publication of Days of Remembrance: Selections from the Writings of Baha'u'llah for Baha'i Holy Days by the Bahá'í World Centre. It is also made available in electonic format from Bahá’í Reference Library at Days of Remembrance: Selections from the Writings of Baha'u'llah for Baha'i Holy Days. [BWNS1148]
||Days of Remembrance: Selections from the Writings of Baha'u'llah for Baha'i Holy Days; Days of Remembrance
from the main catalogue
- Aspects of the Bahá'í Teachings, Conditions for Membership, and Voting Rights: Seven various questions, by Universal House of Justice (1991). On Baha'i status and community membership, spiritual primacy, Most Great Spirit, studying the Covenant, revelation of the Bab, civil elections, and definition of a pioneer. Includes short compilation "Conditions for Membership in the Baha'i Community." [about]
- Elections, Bahá'í: Defining a "Minority" for the Purpose of Resolving a Tie for Ninth Place, by Universal House of Justice (1999). [about]