Search for tag "Esslemont"
|1874. 19 May
||Birth of John Ebenezer Esslemont, Hand of the Cause of God, in Aberdeen, Scotland.
||Aberdeen; Scotland; United Kingdom
||Esslemont; Hands of the Cause
|1923 Early Sep
||J. E. Esslemont's Bahá'u'lláh and the New Era is published in Britain by George Allen and Unwin. [DJEE28; RG77]
- Shoghi Effendi views this as a landmark in British Bahá'í history. [UD97]
- Over the years he encourages its translation into dozens of languages. [RG77]
- See DJEE37-8 for the importance of this work.
||Esslemont; Bahaullah and the New Era; Introductory
|1924 21 Nov
||Dr John E. Esslemont arrives in Haifa to help Shoghi Effendi with his work. [DJEE31; SBR233]
||Esslemont; Shoghi Effendi, Life of
|1925 22 Nov
||John Esslemont, Hand of the Cause of God, Disciple of ‘Abdu’l-Bahá, passes away in Haifa. [BW3p84-85, BBD81, SETPE1p108-110]
- For letters of Shoghi Effendi announcing his death and giving details of his life and funeral see BA97–8 and UD40–3.
- For an obituary see BW1:133–6 and BW8:929–35.
- He is buried next to the grave of Vakílu’d-Dawlih, the chief builder of the House of Worship at ‘Ishqábád. [DJEE37]
- Shoghi Effendi elevates him to the station of Hand of the Cause of God on his death. The announcement is made on November 30th. [BA7-98; BWT3:333; DJEE40; PP92; UD403, MoCxxii
- See also Moojan Momen, Dr John E. Esslemont (BPT UK 1975) and BW8p929-935 for "John Ebenezer Esslemont: His Life and Service" by Jesse E. Revell.
||Esslemont; Hands of the Cause; Disciples of Abdul-Baha; Vakilud-Dawlih; Mashriqul-Adhkar (House of Worship); In Memoriam; Hands of the Cause, Appointments
|1926 28 Jan
||Martha Root sends a note and a copy of Bahá’u’lláh and the New Era to Queen Marie of Romania. [GBF42; GPB390; MR242]
||Martha Root; Queen Marie of Romania; Esslemont
||The first Chinese translation of Bahá’u’lláh and the New Era is published. [PH36]
- The translation is made by Dr Tsao Yun-siang, President of the Xinhua University in Beijing. [PH36]
||Tsao Yun-siang; Bahaullah and the New Era (book); Esslemont; First translations
||On initiative of Martha Root, Mr. György Steiner, an Esperantist in the city of Győr translates J.E. Esslemont’s Bahá’u’lláh and The New Era into Hungarian between 1931-33. This was the first major work published in Hungarian about the Bahá’í Faith. The Preface of the book was written by Mr. Rusztem Vámbéry, son of Arminius Vámbéry. [www.bahai.hu] [BW5p377]
||Gyorgy Steiner; Rusztem Vambery; Arminius Vambery; Esslemont
|1942 25 Jun
||The passing of 'Abdu'l-Jalíl Bey Sa'ad who was, for many years, the president of the National Spiritual Assembly and a judge in the Civil Courts in Egypt. Through his sustained effort the Declaration of Trust was recognized as valid and legalized in 1934.
- He made an important contribution in translating into Arabic. Among his accomplishments were The Dawn-Breakers, Bahá'u'lláh and the New Era, Laws of Personal Status and Rules of Procedure.
- In 1941 he employed the Declaration of Trust as an instrument to induce the Ministry of Civil Defence to grant permission to build the Hazíratu'l-Quds in Cairo. While supervising this project in the intense heat he fell ill and died suddenly after an operation.
- Shoghi Effendi appointed him to the rank of Hand of the Cause of God on the day of his passing. [MoC597-599]
||In Memoriam; Hands of the Cause; Abdul Jalil Bey Saad; Declaration of Trust; Haziratul-Quds; Dawn-Breakers; Esslemont; Arabic language; Translation
from the main catalogue
- Bahá'í-Christian Dialogue: Some Key Issues Considered, by Francis Beckwith, in Christian Research Journal (1989). An antagonistic and polemical overview of the Baha'i Faith by a Christian. [about]
- Bahá'í-Christian Dialogue: Some Key Issues Considered, by Francis Beckwith: A Bahá'í Response, by David Friedman (1998). Lengthy theological apologia. [about]
- Bahá'u'lláh and the New Era Regarding the Explanation of Daniel 12:12: Beckwith's Allegations, by Universal House of Justice (1990). Responses to allegations Francis Beckwith makes in his booklet "Baha'i" about changes to this book. [about]
- Daniel's Prophecies, by Universal House of Justice, in Lights of Irfan, Volume 8 (2007). [about]
- Dates in Baha'u'llah and the New Era: A response to Francis Beckwith, by National Spiritual Assembly of the Bahá'ís of the United States (1992). Response to certain allegations Beckwith makes in his booklet Baha'i. [about]
- Esslemont, John Ebenezer, by Moojan Momen (1995). Short biography of a famous Baha'i author and Hand of the Cause of God. [about]
- Picture Gallery of Early British Bahá'ís (1998). Published in honor of the UK Baha'i Centenary, 1998/99. [about]
- Prophecy of Daniel; Modifications of Baha'u'llah and the New Era, by Universal House of Justice (1996). Two topics: the fulfilment of the Biblical prophecy of Daniel concerning 1,335 days, and modifications made to Baha'u'llah and the New Era. [about]
- Truth Triumphs: A Bahá'í Response to Misrepresentations of the Bahá'í Teachings and Bahá'í History, by Peter Terry (1999). Rebuttal of Francis Beckwith's thesis "Baha'i, A Christian response to Baha'ism, the religion which aims toward one world government and one common faith." [about]