Search for tag "Esslemont"
|1874. 19 May
||Birth of John Ebenezer Esslemont, Hand of the Cause of God, in Aberdeen, Scotland.
||Aberdeen; Scotland; United Kingdom
||Esslemont; Hands of the Cause; Hands of the Cause, Births and deaths; Births and deaths
|1919. 25 Dec
||Shoghi Effendi presented a precious gift to his friend Dr Esslemont, "a drop of the coagulate and sacred blood of Bahá'u'lláh". [PG126]
||Esslemont; Shoghi Effendi, Life of; gifts
|1921. 1 Dec - 7 Dec
||Dr Esslemont made a trip from Bournemouth to London to visit Shoghi Effendi and offer support. He invited him back to Bournemouth where he stayed from the evening of the 2nd of December until the morning of the seventh. [PG199]
- Shoghi Effendi wrote to a Bahá'í student in London describing his reaction to the news of the Master's passing. It would appear he had reconciled himself to the situation. [PG100; PP40-41]
- See PG201 for the observations of others.
- On the 7th of December he received a cable from the Greatest Holy Leaf urging him to return to the Holy Land. He left for London immediately. [PG100]
||Dr Esslemont; Shoghi Effendi; Z****
|1923 Early Sep
||J. E. Esslemont's Bahá'u'lláh and the New Era is published in Britain by George Allen and Unwin. [DJEE28; RG77]
- Shoghi Effendi views this as a landmark in British Bahá'í history. [UD97]
- Over the years he encourages its translation into dozens of languages. [RG77]
- See DJEE37-8 for the importance of this work.
||Esslemont; Bahaullah and the New Era (book); Introductory; Publications; Translation
|1924 21 Nov
||Dr John E. Esslemont arrives in Haifa to help Shoghi Effendi with his work. [DJEE31; SBR233]
||Esslemont; Shoghi Effendi, Life of
|1925 22 Nov
||John Esslemont, Hand of the Cause of God, Disciple of ‘Abdu’l-Bahá, passes away in Haifa. [BW3p84-85, BBD81, SETPE1p108-110]
- For letters of Shoghi Effendi announcing his death and giving details of his life and funeral see BA97–8 and UD40–3.
- For an obituary see BW1:133–6 and BW8:929–35.
- He is buried next to the grave of Vakílu’d-Dawlih, the chief builder of the House of Worship at ‘Ishqábád. [DJEE37]
- Shoghi Effendi elevates him to the station of Hand of the Cause of God on his death. The announcement is made on November 30th. [BA7-98; BWT3:333; DJEE40; PP92; UD403, MoCxxii
- See also Moojan Momen, Dr John E. Esslemont (BPT UK 1975) and BW8p929-935 for "John Ebenezer Esslemont: His Life and Service" by Jesse E. Revell.
||Esslemont; Hands of the Cause; Hands of the Cause, Births and deaths; Births and deaths; Disciples of Abdul-Baha; Vakilud-Dawlih; In Memoriam; Hands of the Cause, Appointments; Hands appointed posthumously by Shoghi Effendi; Cemeteries and graves
||With the passing of Dr Esslemont Shoghi Effendi is left without qualified secretarial help. This situation remained in place until the formation of the International Bahá'í Council in 1951. [PP92-95, SETPE1p112]
- On November 30th Shoghi Effendi appoints him a Hand of the Cause of God.
|1926 28 Jan
||Martha Root sends a note and a copy of Bahá’u’lláh and the New Era to Queen Marie of Romania. [GBF42; GPB390; MR242]
||Martha Root; Queen Marie of Romania; Esslemont
||The first Chinese translation of Bahá’u’lláh and the New Era is published. [PH36]
- The translation is made by Dr Tsao Yun-siang, President of the Xinhua University in Beijing. [PH36]
||Bahaullah and the New Era (book); Esslemont; First translations; Translation; Publications
||On initiative of Martha Root, Mr. György Steiner, an Esperantist in the city of Győr translates J.E. Esslemont’s Bahá’u’lláh and The New Era into Hungarian between 1931-33. This was the first major work published in Hungarian about the Bahá’í Faith. The Preface of the book was written by Mr. Rusztem Vámbéry, son of Arminius Vámbéry. [www.bahai.hu] [BW5p377, 609]
||Gyorgy Steiner; Esperanto; Rusztem Vambery; Arminius Vambery; Bahaullah and the New Era (book); Esslemont; First translations; Translation; Publications
|1942 25 Jun
||The passing of 'Abdu'l-Jalíl Bey Sa'ad who was, for many years, the president of the National Spiritual Assembly and a judge in the Civil Courts in Egypt. Through his sustained effort the Declaration of Trust was recognized as valid and legalized in 1934.
- He made an important contribution in translating into Arabic. Among his accomplishments were The Dawn-Breakers, Bahá'u'lláh and the New Era, Laws of Personal Status and Rules of Procedure.
- In 1941 he employed the Declaration of Trust as an instrument to induce the Ministry of Civil Defence to grant permission to build the Hazíratu'l-Quds in Cairo. While supervising this project in the intense heat he fell ill and died suddenly after an operation.
- Shoghi Effendi appointed him to the rank of Hand of the Cause of God on the day of his passing. [MoC597-599]
||Hands of the Cause; Hands of the Cause, Births and deaths; Births and deaths; In Memoriam; Hands appointed posthumously by Shoghi Effendi; Hands of the Cause, Activities; Abdul Jalil Bey Saad; Declaration of Trust and By-Laws; Haziratul-Quds; Dawn-Breakers (book); Esslemont; Arabic language; Translation
from the main catalogue
See all tags, sorted numerically or alphabetically.
- Bahá'í-Christian Dialogue: Some Key Issues Considered, by Francis Beckwith, in Christian Research Journal (1989). An antagonistic and polemical overview of the Baha'i Faith by a Christian. [about]
- Bahá'í-Christian Dialogue: Some Key Issues Considered, by Francis Beckwith: A Bahá'í Response, by David Friedman (1998). Lengthy theological apologia. [about]
- Baha'u'llah and the New Era, by John E. Esslemont (1980). The classic introductory text on the Baha'i Faith focusing on Baha'i teachings and the lives of the Bab, Baha'u'llah, and Abdu'l-Baha. [about]
- Bahá'u'lláh and the New Era Regarding the Explanation of Daniel 12:12: Beckwith's Allegations, by Universal House of Justice (1990). Responses to allegations Francis Beckwith makes in his booklet "Baha'i" about changes to this book. [about]
- Daniel's Prophecies, by Universal House of Justice, in Lights of Irfan, Volume 8 (2007). [about]
- Dates in Baha'u'llah and the New Era: A response to Francis Beckwith, by National Spiritual Assembly of the Bahá'ís of the United States (1992). Response to certain allegations Beckwith makes in his booklet Baha'i. [about]
- Esslemont, John Ebenezer, by Moojan Momen (1995). Short biography of a famous Baha'i author and Hand of the Cause of God. [about]
- J. E. Esslemont, in Bahá'í World, Vol. 1 (1925-1926) (1926). Esslemont's is the only biography or in memoriam in this first volume of Baha'i World. [about]
- Picture Gallery of Early British Bahá'ís (1998). Published in honor of the UK Baha'i Centenary, 1998/99. [about]
- Prophecy of Daniel; Modifications of Baha'u'llah and the New Era, by Universal House of Justice (1996). Two topics: the fulfilment of the Biblical prophecy of Daniel concerning 1,335 days, and modifications made to Baha'u'llah and the New Era. [about]
- Truth Triumphs: A Bahá'í Response to Misrepresentations of the Bahá'í Teachings and Bahá'í History, by Peter Terry (1999). Rebuttal of Francis Beckwith's thesis "Baha'i, A Christian response to Baha'ism, the religion which aims toward one world government and one common faith." [about]