Search for tag "George Townshend"
|1876. 14 Jun
||Birth of George Townshend, Hand of the Cause of God, in Dublin.
||George Townshend; Hand of the Cause of God
||George Townshend becomes a Bahá'í, sending a letter of acceptance of the Faith to `Abdu'l-Bahá. [GT49]
||George Townshend; Hand of the Cause
||Shoghi Effendi retranslates the Hidden Words.|
- He is assisted by George Townshend and Ethel Rosenberg, the ‘English friends’ mentioned on the title page. [ER246–7, 253–6; GT109, SETPE1p126]
||Shoghi Effendi; Hidden Words; George Townshend; Ethel Rosenberg
||This was to be the start of an 18 year relationship of collaboration between Shoghi Effendi and George Townshend in the translation of the Writings. As well as Hidden Words, he worked on Kitáb-i-Íqán, The Dawn-Breakers, Prayers and Meditations by Bahá'u'lláh, Epistle to the Son of the Wolf, God Passes By and by suggesting titles and writing introductions for The Dawn-Breakers and God Passes By. [SETPE1p127]
||Shoghi Effendi; George Townshend
||Shoghi Effendi’s translation of Nabíl’s Narrative entitled The Dawn-Breakers is published. [GBF91; PP215]
- The work took him two years of research. [PP217]
- He sent Effie Baker to Iran to take photographs for the book. [PP217]
- For George Townshend’s assistance to the project see GT59, 60, 64–9.
- For Shoghi Effendi’s purpose in translating and editing the book see WOB123.
- See also BBD64; GBF913 PP215–18.
||Shoghi Effendi; The Dawn-Breakers; Effie Baker; George Townshend
|1936 3–16 Jul
||The World Congress of Faiths is held in London under the auspices of the World Fellowship of Faiths. [GPB342; GT123]
- Shoghi Effendi is asked in a personal letter from the chairman of the Congress, Sir Francis Younghusband, to contribute a paper, a task Shoghi Effendi delegates to George Townshend. [GT123; UD104]
- George Townshend reads the paper ‘Bahá’u’lláh’s Ground Plan of World Fellowship’, which has been approved by Shoghi Effendi. [BW7:635; GT132–3]
- For text of the paper see BW6:614–19.
- For the conference programme see BW7:634–45.
||World Congress of Faiths; World Fellowship of Faiths; Sir Francis Younghusband; George Townshend
|1940 30 Jun
||George Townshend preaches a sermon in St Patrick’s Cathedral, Dublin, proclaiming the Bahá’í Faith to the congregation. [GT171]
|1947 20 Jun
||George Townshend sends a letter of resignation from the Church of Ireland to the Bishop of Killaloe, naming 30 September for its coming into effect. [GT195]
|1947 30 Sep
||George Townshend, at the age of 71 years, resigns his position with the Church of Ireland. [GT195]
- He is the first ordained priest of a Christian Protestant church to renounce his Orders and to become a fully accredited member of the Bahá’í community. [GT183]
- For the story of his resignation and transition to a lay life see GT199–200, 202.
||The pamphlet written by by George Townshend to all Christians under the title “The Old Churches and the New World Faith” was sent out to 10,000 so-called “responsible people” in the British Isles on the occasion of his resignation from the church.[UD470]
||George Townshend; The Old Churches and the New World Faith
|1951 24 Dec
||Shoghi Effendi appoints 12 Hands of the Cause of God, the first contingent of Hands to be appointed. BBRSM127; BW12:38–40, 374–5; BW13:333–4; MBW20]
- They are Sutherland Maxwell, Mason Remey, Amelia Collins (she had been appointed in 1946, but her appointment had not been made public), Valíyu’lláh Varqá, Tarázu’lláh Samandarí, ‘Alí-Akbar Furútan, Horace Holley, Dorothy Baker, Leroy Ioas, George Townshend, Herman Grossmann and Ugo Giachery [GBF110–11; MBW20; PP253–4]
||Hand of the Cause; Sutherland Maxwell; Mason Remey; Amelia Collins; Valiyu’llah Varqa; Tarazu’llah Samandari; Ali Akbar Furutan; Horace Holley; Dorothy Baker; Leroy Ioas; George Townshend; Herman Grossmann; Ugo Giachery; Appointment Hand - First Contingent
|1957 25 Mar
||Hand of the Cause of God George Townshend passes away in Dublin, Ireland. (b.14 June, 1896) [BBD226, BW02-03p169]
- For his obituary see BW13:841–846.
- See also David Hofman's biography, George Townshend.
- Shoghi Effendi had appointed him among the first contingent on the 24th of December, 1951. [MoCxxiii] /ul>
||Hand of the Cause; George Townshend; In Memoriam; Appointment Hand - First Contingent
|1957 27 Mar
||Agnes Alexander is appointed a Hand of the Cause of God on the passing of Hand of the Cause of God George Townshend. [GBF112; MBW174; PP255]
||Agnes Alexander; Hand of the Cause; George Townshend
from the main catalogue
- Picture Gallery of Early British Bahá'ís (1998). Published in honor of the UK Baha'i Centenary, 1998/99. [about]
- Prayer "Make me a hollow reed," Source of, by Universal House of Justice (1999). The prayer "Oh, God, make me a hollow reed..." is neither by Abdu'l-Baha nor George Townshend, and its author is unknown. [about]
- When the Saints Come Marching In: The Art of Bahá'í Biography, by Sidney Edward Morrison and Frank Lewis, in dialogue magazine, 1:1 (1986). Comments on hagiography, including reviews of nine popular Baha'i biographies. Includes response "In Praise of Saints" by Frank Lewis (from dialogue 1:3). [about]