Search for tag "Italy"
|1900. c. 1900
||A Bahá'í group is established in Italy. [BBRSM:106]
|1900 26 Nov
||Agnes Alexander accepts the Faith in Rome after hearing the message from Mrs Dixon. She stays in Rome for three months studying prophecies then travels to Paris for further study with May Bolles for another three and one half months. She leaves Paris in the Spring of 1901 for London, New England, Oakland, Ca and finally Honolulu. [BFA1p159]
||Rome; Italy; Paris; France; Oakland; California; London; England; Honolulu
||Agnes Alexander; Mrs Dixon
|1911 22 Aug - 3 Sep
||`Abdu'l-Bahá stops briefly at Thonon-les-Bains on Lake Leman. [AB140; GPB280; SBR219]
- While there He encountered Zillu's-Sultán, the eldest son of the Sháh of the time, Násirid-Dín Sháh. It was he who had ratified the execution of the King of Martyrs and the Beloved of Martyrs and at least 100 others. The whole family was in exile in Geneva at the time. 'Abdu'l-Bahá was very courteous to this man who had been such an enemy of the Cause. [DJT172] .
- The Master sent for Juliet Thompson who had been waiting in London for His permission to join Him.
- During His stay he had a visit from Annie Boylan, a member of the New York community that was experiencing disharmony. Unaware of Bahá'í election procedures, a group that was unhappy with the disunity and ineffectiveness of the Council had organized a vote to be rid of several of its Council members. 'Abdu'l-Bahá had written to the community a short time before recommending that the Council be expanded from 9 to 27 members so that all factions could be represented. He also recommended that women be included on the Council and that the name be changed to "the Spiritual Assembly of the Bahá'ís of New York". This apparently addressed the problem of disunity because the New York community went on to contribute significantly to the progress of the Faith on a national level. [DJT181, BFA2p338]
- Horace Holley, who lived at Quattro Torri, Siena, Italy at the time, along with his wife Bertha Herbert and baby daughter Hertha, visited 'Abdu'l-Bahá on the 29th and 30th of August. Please see his Religion for Mankind p 232-237 for a pen portrait of 'Abdu'l-Bahá.
- He met with Elizabeth Stewart and Lilian Kappes who were on their way to Tehran. [find reference]
- It would appear that He returned to Marseilles and travelled to London by sea. [SCU22-23]
|Thonon-les-Bains; Lake Leman; Siena; Italy
||First Western tour by `Abdu'l-Baha'; New York Council; Zillu's-Sultan; Juliet Thompson; Annie Boylan; Boilin' Annie; Horace Holley; Bertha Holley; Hertha Holley; Elizabeth Stewart; Lilian Kappes
||Contracts are placed in Italy for the rose Baveno granite columns for the Shrine of the Báb. [BBD210; DH140]
- The first shipment of stone reaches Haifa on 23 November 1948.
- For details of securing the contract and cutting the stone see SE68–83.
||Shrine of the Bab
|1954 12 Apr
||Shoghi Effendi accepts the bid made by the firm of Enrico Pandolfini of Pietrasanta in Tuscany, Italy for the supply of the obelisk will mark the place of the first Mashriqu'l-Adhkar of the Holy Land. After the delivery of the materials circumstances did not allow for the obelisk to be erected. The Universal House of Justice completed the project in August, 1971.
||BWC; Pietrasanta; Tuscany; Italy
||Enrico Pandolfini; Mashriqu'l-Adhkar; obelisk
||The National Spiritual Assembly of Italy is formed. [BW13:283]
- For picture see BW13:278.
|1968 23 – 25 Aug
||The first Oceanic Conference takes place in Palermo, Sicily, to commemorate the arrival of Bahá’u’lláh in the Holy Land. [BW15:73, 178; VV3]
- It is attended by some 2,300 Bahá’ís from 67 countries. [BW15:73]
- For details of the conference, maps and pictures see BW15:72–80.
||Oceanic Conference; Conference
|1974 4 Feb
||The death of Charles Mason Remey, Hand of the Cause of God (1951-60) and subsequently a Covenant-breaker. in Florence, Italy. (b.15 May 1874) [Wikipedia]
- Shoghi Effendi had appointed him among the first contingent on the 24th of December, 1951. [MoCxxiii]
- He was declared a Covenant-breaker by the Hands of the Cause on the 26th of July, 1960.
||Mason Remey; Appointment Hand - First Contingent; Covenant-Breaker
||The Italian Association for Bahá'í Studies is established in Rome. [BINS232:5]
- It lapses in 1991 but is re-established in 1992.
|2002 4 Dec
||University of Bari in Italy establishes a course on ethics and economics titled Ethics and Economy: Towards a New World Order. The University has appointed Giuseppe Robiati, a member of the Bahá'í community of Italy as the coordinator of the course. [BWNS182]
||University of Bari; Giuseppe Robiati; Ethics and Economy: Towards a New World Order"
|2009 7 – 8 Feb
||Regional Conferences held in Frankfurt, Germany and Padua, Italy. [Padua, Frankfurt]
||Frankfurt; Germany; Padua; Italy
from the main catalogue
- Italy: History of the Bahá'í Faith, by Julio Savi (1992). [about]