Search for tag "King of Martyrs"
||Birth of Hájí Siyyid Muhammad-Hasan, Sultánu'sh-Shuhadá' (`King of Martyrs'), in Isfahán.
||Haji Siyyid Muhammad-Hasan; Sultanu'sh-Shuhada'; King of Martyrs
|1868. c. Jul
||Principal Bahá'ís in Baghdád are arrested by the Turkish authorities and exiled to Mosul and other places. RB2:333 indicates this took place towards the end of Bahá'u'lláh's stay in Adrianople.[BBR265; BKG247; CH129–30; RB2:333]
- About 70 people are exiled. [GPB178; RB2:334] Estimate given by Hájí Mirzá Haydar-;Alí is 80. (DOH12]
- See BKG184 for an illustration of Mosul.
- See BKG183 for a description of the city.
- See RB2:334 for the hardships suffered by the exiles.
- They remained in Mosul for some 20 years until Bahá'u'lláh advised the community to disband (1885-1886). Their hardship was lessened by generous contributions from the King of Martyrs and the Beloved of Martyrs. A charity fund was established, the first fund of that kind in any Bahá'í community. [RB2:334–6]
||King of Martyrs; Beloved of Martyrs; charity fund
|1879. 12 Mar
||The arrest of Hájí Siyyid Muhammad-Hasan, the `King of Martyrs', and Hájí Siyyid Muhammad-Husayn, the `Beloved of Martyrs'. [BBD 130]
||Haji Siyyid Muhammad-Hasan; the `King of Martyrs'; Haji Siyyid Muhammad-Husayn; the `Beloved of Martyrs'
|1879. 17 Mar
||The martyrdom of Hájí Siyyid Muhammad-Hasan, the `King of Martyrs', and Hájí Siyyid Muhammad-Husayn, the `Beloved of Martyrs'. [BW18:383]
- Their martyrdom is instigated by Mír Muhammad-Husayn, the Imám-Jum`ih, stigmatized by Bahá'u'lláh as the `she-serpent', who owes the brothers a large sum of money. [GPB200–1, ARG172, SDH104]
- Shaykh Muhammad-Báqir, the `Wolf', pronounces the death sentence on the two brothers and the Zillu's-Sultán ratifies the decision. [GPB201]
- The brothers are put in chains, decapitated and dragged to the Maydán-i-Sháh for public viewing. [GPB201]
- For Western accounts of their martyrdom see BBR274–6.
- See SDH112 for the story of the pilgrimage of their families to the Holy Land.
- See BW11:594 for a picture of the memorial to the King and the Beloved of Martyrs.
||Haji Siyyid Muhammad-Hasan; the `King of Martyrs'; Haji Siyyid Muhammad-Husayn; the `Beloved of Martyrs'; Mir Muhammad-?usayn; Shaykh Muhammad-Baqir; the `Wolf'; Zillu's-Sultan
||The tombs of the King of Martyrs and the Beloved of Martyrs in Isfahán are demolished by a mob. [BBR437]
- For Western responses see BBR437-9.
||King of Martyrs; the Beloved of Martyrs; Iranian persecution