Search for tag "Maine"
|1894 In the year
||Green Acre is founded by Sarah J. Farmer in the aftermath of the World Parliament of Religions. [BBRSM:104; BFA2:142–7; BW5:29; GPB261; SBBH1:125]
Two Bahá'ís are arrested and bastinadoed in Níshápúr. One dies seven days later, the other two years later. [BW18:384]
Hájí Yárí, a Bahá'í of Jewish background, is arrested and imprisoned in Hamadán. [BW18:384]
A Bahá'í in Dastjirdán, Khurásán, Áqá `Abdu'l-Vahháb Mukhtárí, is beaten and expelled from the village. [BW18:384]
Bahá'ís in Fárán, Khurásán, are beaten and Bahá'í homes are looted. [BW18:384]
|Green Acre; Eliot; Maine; USA; Níshápúr; Hamadán; Dastjirdán; Khurásán; Fárán; Khurásán
||Sarah J. Farmer; Haji Yari; Áqa `Abdu'l-Vahhab Mukhtari; World Parliament of Religions; persecution
||Green Acre Bahá'í School (Wikipedia)|
||Sarah Farmer puts Green Acre at the disposal of the Bahá'ís after her pilgrimage to `Akká in 1900. [BFA2:144–5; GPB261]
- After 1900 Green Acre effectively became the site of the first Bahá'í summer school in the world, although it was not officially so until 1929. [BBRSM:104; BW5:29–30; SBBH1:125]
|1951 30 Jul
||Louis Gregory, Hand of the Cause of God, passes away in Eliot, Maine, near Green Acre. [BW12:666; TMW310, LOF98]
- Soon after his passing he is designated by Shoghi Effendi the first Hand of the Cause of his race. (On 5 August, 1951) [BBD91; BW12:666, MoCxxii]
- See TG114, 117-8 for a description of his passing .
- For his obituary see BW12:666–70.
- For biographical information on Hand of the Cause Louis Gregory see Gayle Morrison, To Move the World: Louis G. Gregory and the Advancement of Racial Unity in America (Wilmette, IL, USA Bahá’í Publishing Trust, 1982, 1999 printing).
- For short biographical information see Bahá'í Encyclopedia]
||Louis Gregory; Hand of the Cause; In Memoriam; Hand appointed posthumously by Shoghi Effendi
|1951 20 Dec
||Roy C. Wilhelm, (b.17 September, 1875) passes away in Lovel, Maine. [BW12:662]
- On his passing Shoghi Effendi designates him a Hand of the Cause of God. (23 December, 1951) [MoCxxii, BW12:662]
- For his obituary see BW12:662–4.
- Find a grave
||Roy C. Wilhelm; Hand of the Cause; In Memoriam; Hand appointed posthumously by Shoghi Effendi
|1956 20 May
||Louisa Mathew Gregory, whose wedding to Hand of the Cause of God Louis Gregory in 1912 was the first interracial western Bahá’í marriage, passes away in Eliot, Maine. [BW13:878]
- For her obituary see BW13:376–8.
||Louisa Mathew Gregory; Louis Gregory; Hand of the Cause
|2002 21 Sep
||The dedication , at the Green Acre Bahá'í School in Eliot Maine, the oldest permanent Bahá'í school in the world, of a new classroom and lecture hall designated as The Harriet and Curtis Kelsey Center, with an attendant Manny Reimer Hall. [BWNS175]
||Green Acre; Eliot; Maine
||Green Acre; Baha'i School; The Harriet and Curtis Kelsey Center; Manny Reimer Hall; oldest permanent Baha'i school in the world