||The birth of Mírzá Mihdí, `the Purest Branch', the son of Bahá'u'lláh and Navváb. [BBD155]
||Mirza Mihdi (Purest Branch); Births and deaths; Bahaullah, Family of
|1860. c. 1860
||Mírzá Mihdí, the son of Bahá'u'lláh, is taken from Tihrán to join his family in Baghdád. He is about 12 years old. [RB3:205]
- He travels with the second wife of Bahá'u'lláh, Mahd-i-‘Ulyá. [MMNF]
|Tihran; Iran; Baghdad; Iraq
||Mirza Mihdi (Purest Branch); Mahd-i-Ulya (Fatimih Khanum)
|1870. 22 Jun
||Mírzá Mihdí, the Purest Branch, falls through the skylight in the roof of the prison in `Akká onto a crate lying on the floor below. [BKG311–12; GBP188; RB3:205]
- It was a normal practice for prisoners to go onto the roof in the summer evenings for fresh air. [RB3:205]
- He was chanting the verses of Bahá'u'lláh's Qasídiy-i-Varqá'íyyih. [RB3:206]
- He is so badly injured that his clothes have to be torn from him. [RB206]
- Bahá'u'lláh comes to him at His bedside and asks His son whether he wishes to live; the Purest Branch begs Bahá'u'lláh to accept his life as a ransom for the opening of the gates of the prison to pilgrims. Bahá'u'lláh accepts this sacrifice. [BKG311–12; GPB188; RB3:208]
||Mirza Mihdi (Purest Branch); Qasidiyyih-Varqaiyyih (Ode of the Dove)
|1870. 23 Jun
||Mírzá Mihdí dies from his injuries 22 hours after his fall. [BKG311–12; GPB188; RB3:208]
- See BKG313, GPB188 and RB3:210 for the prayer of Bahá'u'lláh for His son.
- He is interred in the cemetery next to the shrine of Nabí Sálih in `Akká. [GBP188; RB3:209]
- Also see BBD155, BKG311–14, RB3:204–20.
||Mirza Mihdi (Purest Branch); Cemeteries and graves
||Shoghi Effendi orders from Italy twin monuments similar in style to that of the Greatest Holy Leaf and seeks permission from the British authorities to reinter the remains of Navváb and the Purest Branch on Mount Carmel near those of Bahíyyih Khánum and the Holy Mother. [DH162; PP259]
||BWC; Mount Carmel
||Navvab (Asiyih Khanum); Mirza Mihdi (Purest Branch); Mount Carmel; Bahiyyih Khanum (Greatest Holy Leaf); Monument Gardens; World Centre; Marble
|1939 3 Dec
||Shoghi Effendi obtains permission from the British authorities in Palestine to reinter the bodies of Navváb and the Purest Branch on Mount Carmel. [DH162; PP260]
- For the report of the Haifa District Commissioner see BBR460–1.
|Mount Carmel; BWC; Monument Gardens
||Navvab (Asiyih Khanum); Mirza Mihdi (Purest Branch); Mount Carmel; Monument Gardens; BWC
|1939 5 Dec
||Shoghi Effendi disinters the remains of Navváb and the Purest Branch. [DH162; PP260]
- He goes at daybreak to ‘Akká cemetery and removes the remains of Navváb to a new coffin. [DH162; PP260]
- He then goes to the Nabí Sálib cemetery and transfers the remains of the Purest Branch to a second new coffin. [DH162; PP260]
- He transports them to Mount Carmel, near the grave of the Greatest Holy Leaf. [DH162; PP260]
- For his cable announcing this to the Bahá’í world see BW8:245 and DH162 and PP261.
|Akka; Mount Carmel
||Navvab (Asiyih Khanum); Mirza Mihdi (Purest Branch); Monument Gardens
|1939 24 Dec
||Shoghi Effendi reinters the remains of Navváb and the Purest Branch. [DH162; GBF116; GPB347–8]
- Two vaults are cut into the solid rock in the garden area near the monument of the Greatest Holy Leaf. [DH162]
- For Shoghi Effendi’s cable announcing this see DH162 and PP262.
- For Shoghi Effendi’s letters and cables concerning this see BW8:245–53.
- For a description of the reinterment see BW8:253–8.
- For the prayer of visitation to the resting place of Navváb see BW8:251 and DH166.
|Mount Carmel; BWC
||Navvab (Asiyih Khanum); Mirza Mihdi (Purest Branch); Bahiyyih Khanum (Greatest Holy Leaf); Tablets of Visitation; Monument Gardens; World Centre
|1940 9 Feb
||The monuments of Navváb and the Purest Branch are dedicated at a ceremony in Haifa. [ZK293]
- For details of the ceremony, see ZK293–6.
- Marble for the Monument Gardens came from Chiampo, Italy as did marble for the Archives Building, the Resting Place of Shoghi Effendi, the Seat of the Universal House of Justice, the Terraces Project, and the Houses of Worship in India and Samoa. [BWNS1223]
|Mount Carmel; BWC; Chiampo; Italy
||Navvab (Asiyih Khanum); Mirza Mihdi (Purest Branch); Monument Gardens; Marble
|1970 23 Jun
||The centenary of the death of Mírzá Mihdí is commemorated with a day of prayer by Bahá’ís around the world and in the Holy Land with a pilgrimage to the barracks in ‘Akká, Bahjí and to his monument. [BW15:162–3]
||Akka; Bahji; Haifa
||Mirza Mihdi (Purest Branch); Centenaries; Monument gardens