Search for tag "Monument Gardens"
|1932 15 Jul
||The Greatest Holy Leaf, Bahíyyih Khánum, ‘outstanding heroine of the Bahá’í Dispensation’ passes away in Haifa about one hour after midnight. [BW5:169; GPB108]
- Her passing marks the end of the Heroic Age of the Faith. [BBD102; WOB98]
- She is comparable in rank to Sarah, Ásíyih, the Virgin Mary, Fátimih and Táhirih. [GPB347]
- Shoghi Effendi is in Switzerland and immediately goes to Italy to commission a memorial for her grave. [DH156]
- For Tablets of Bahá’u’lláh and ‘Abdu’l-Bahá revealed in her honour see BW5:171–3.
- For Shoghi Effendi’s tribute to her see BW5:174–9.
- For Marjory Morten’s obituary of her see BW5:181–5.
- The design of the monument for the resting place of the Greatest Holy Leaf is a symbol of the Bahá’í administrative order. [CB298]
- See also Bahíyyih Khánum and Gail, Khánum, The Greatest Holy Leaf; BBD42; CB121–2, 305; DH156–61; GBF65–8; PP144–8.
||Bahiyyih Khanum (Greatest Holy Leaf); Heroic Age; Marjory Morten; In Memoriam; Monument Gardens
|1938 30 Apr
||Munírih Khánum, the Holy Mother, wife of ‘Abdu’l-Bahá, passes away. [BBD166; BW8:260; CB358; DH161]
- Note: UD119 records this was 28 April.
- Shoghi Effendi inters her body just west of the Shrine of Bahíyyih Khánum and erects a simple monument over her grave. [DH161]
- For excerpts from her autobiography see BW8:259–63.
- For tributes to her see BW8:263–7.
||Munirih Khanum; Holy Mother; In Memoriam; Shrine of Baha'u'llah; Monument Gardens
||Shoghi Effendi orders from Italy twin monuments similar in style to that of the Greatest Holy Leaf and seeks permission from the British authorities to reinter the remains of Navváb and the Purest Branch on Mount Carmel near those of Bahíyyih Khánum and the Holy Mother. [DH162; PP259]
||BWC; Mount Carmel
||Navvab (Asiyih Khanum); Mirza Mihdi (Purest Branch); Mount Carmel; Bahiyyih Khanum (Greatest Holy Leaf); Monument Gardens; World Centre; Marble
|1939 3 Dec
||Shoghi Effendi obtains permission from the British authorities in Palestine to reinter the bodies of Navváb and the Purest Branch on Mount Carmel. [DH162; PP260]
- For the report of the Haifa District Commissioner see BBR460–1.
|Mount Carmel; BWC; Monument Gardens
||Navvab (Asiyih Khanum); Mirza Mihdi (Purest Branch); Mount Carmel; Monument Gardens; BWC
|1939 5 Dec
||Shoghi Effendi disinters the remains of Navváb and the Purest Branch. [DH162; PP260]
- He goes at daybreak to ‘Akká cemetery and removes the remains of Navváb to a new coffin. [DH162; PP260]
- He then goes to the Nabí Sálib cemetery and transfers the remains of the Purest Branch to a second new coffin. [DH162; PP260]
- He transports them to Mount Carmel, near the grave of the Greatest Holy Leaf. [DH162; PP260]
- For his cable announcing this to the Bahá’í world see BW8:245 and DH162 and PP261.
|Akka; Mount Carmel
||Navvab (Asiyih Khanum); Mirza Mihdi (Purest Branch); Monument Gardens
|1939 24 Dec
||Shoghi Effendi reinters the remains of Navváb and the Purest Branch. [DH162; GBF116; GPB347–8]
- Two vaults are cut into the solid rock in the garden area near the monument of the Greatest Holy Leaf. [DH162]
- For Shoghi Effendi’s cable announcing this see DH162 and PP262.
- For Shoghi Effendi’s letters and cables concerning this see BW8:245–53.
- For a description of the reinterment see BW8:253–8.
- For the prayer of visitation to the resting place of Navváb see BW8:251 and DH166.
|Mount Carmel; BWC
||Navvab (Asiyih Khanum); Mirza Mihdi (Purest Branch); Bahiyyih Khanum (Greatest Holy Leaf); Tablets of Visitation; Monument Gardens; World Centre
|1940 9 Feb
||The monuments of Navváb and the Purest Branch are dedicated at a ceremony in Haifa. [ZK293]
- For details of the ceremony, see ZK293–6.
- Marble for the Monument Gardens came from Chiampo, Italy as did marble for the Archives Building, the Resting Place of Shoghi Effendi, the Seat of the Universal House of Justice, the Terraces Project, and the Houses of Worship in India and Samoa. [BWNS1223]
|Mount Carmel; BWC; Chiampo; Italy
||Navvab (Asiyih Khanum); Mirza Mihdi (Purest Branch); Monument Gardens; Marble
|1970 23 Jun
||The centenary of the death of Mírzá Mihdí is commemorated with a day of prayer by Bahá’ís around the world and in the Holy Land with a pilgrimage to the barracks in ‘Akká, Bahjí and to his monument. [BW15:162–3]
||Akka; Bahji; Haifa
||Mirza Mihdi (Purest Branch); Centenaries; Monument gardens
from the main catalogue
- Bahá'í Shrines, by John Walbridge, in Encyclopaedia Iranica, Volume 3 (1989). [about]