||Hyde and Clara Dunn arrive in Samoa enroute to Australia, the first Bahá'ís to visit the islands.
||Hyde Dunn; Clara Dunn; Islands; First Bahais by country or area
|1954 14 Jan
||Lilian E. Wyss arrives in Apia from Australia and is named a Knight of Bahá’u’lláh for the Samoa Islands. [BW13:455]
||Knights of Bahaullah; Islands
||The first indigenous Samoan to become a Bahá’í, Sa’ialala Tamasese, enrols.
- He is a member of one of the three royal families of Samoa. [BINS, No. 100, 1 MARCH 1979, p. 1]
||First Bahais by country or area; Bahai royalty
||The first Samoan woman to become a Bahá’í, Mrs Lotoa Refiti (later Lotoa Rock), enrols. [Koala News, No. 22, February 1956]
||Lotoa Refiti (later Lotoa Rock)
|1968 19 Feb
||His Highness Malietoa Tanumafili II of Western Samoa, the first reigning monarch to become a Bahá’í, writes to the Universal House of Justice confirming his acceptance of the Faith. [BW15:180–3]
||Malietoa Tanumafili II of Western Samoa; Bahai royalty; Firsts, Other
|1969 29 Dec - 1970 2 Jan
||The First Pacific Area Bahá’í Youth Conference takes place in Apia, Western Samoa. [BW15:329–30]
- For picture see BW15:330.
|Apia; Samoa; Oceania
||Conferences, Bahai; Conferences, Youth; Youth
||The National Spiritual Assembly of Samoa is formed with its seat in Apia. [BW15:274]
- For picture see BW15:146.
||The land for the Samoan House of Worship is purchased on a site overlooking Apia. [BW18:104]
||Mashriqul-Adhkar, Apia; Land purchases
|1976 12 Sep
||His Highness Malietoa Tanumafili II of Western Samoa visits the resting place of Shoghi Effendi. [BW17:69; VV22]
||Samoa; London; United Kingdom
||Malietoa Tanumafili II of Western Samoa; Shoghi Effendi, Resting place of
||The first National Bahá’í Children’s Conference of Samoa takes place. [BW17:211]
||Conferences, Bahai; Conferences, Children; First conferences
|1979 27 Jan
||In Samoa, His Highness Malietoa Tanumafili II and Hand of the Cause of God Amatu’l-Bahá Rúhíyyih Khánum lay the cornerstone of the first Bahá’í House of Worship of the Pacific Islands. [BW17:188, 371; VV36]
- For the text of the address delivered by His Highness Malietoa Tanumafili II see BW17:372.
- For excerpts from the address of Hand of the Cause of God Amatu’l-Bahá Rúhíyyih Khánum see BW17:373.
- For pictures see BW17:374.
|Apia; Samoa; Pacific Islands
||Malietoa Tanumafili II of Western Samoa; Amatul-Baha Ruhiyyih Khanum; Mashriqul-Adhkar (House of Worship); Mashriqul-Adhkar, Apia; Foundation stones and groundbreaking; Islands
||Building work begins on the Samoan House of Worship. [BW18:104]
|1984 30 Aug - 2 Sep
||An International Teaching Conference is held to coincide with the dedication of the House of Worship at Apia, Western Samoa. [BW19:548–54; VV64]
- For a report of the conference see BW19:548–54.
- For the message of the Universal House of Justice see BW19:555–6.
- For pictures see BW19:475, 547–57 and VV64.
||Mashriqul-Adhkar, Apia; Conferences, Bahai; Conferences, Teaching; Conferences, International; Teaching
|1984 1 Sep
||The House of Worship in Apia, Western Samoa, the Mother Temple of the Pacific, is dedicated in the presence of Hand of the Cause of God Amatu’l-Bahá Rúhíyyih Khánum, Hand of the Cause Dr Ugo Giachery, His Highness Malietoa Tanumafili II and more than a thousand Bahá’ís from 45 countries. [BW19:100–1; VV64]
- For a report of the dedication see BW19:552–3.
- For the text of the address of His Highness Malietoa Tanumafili II see BW19:556.
- For pictures see BW19:553 and VV64.
- Marble for the House of Worship was cut and chiseled by Margraf, a firm from Chiampo, Italy formerly known as Industria Marmi Vincentini. [BWNS1223]
Location: Apia, Samoa (9km south of the city)
Foundation Stone: Laid by Malietoa Tanumafili II and Amatu’l-Bahá Rúhíyyih Khánum on 27 January 1979. She placed a small casket of Dust from the Shrine of Bahá’u’lláh in a niche in a stone.
Site Dedication:1 September 1984
Architect Husayn Amanat
Seating: 500 - 700
Dimensions: Top of the dome to ground: 28m (92ft)
References: BW16p488-489, BW17p371-374, BW18p104, 585-588, BW19p547-557,
|Apia; Samoa; Pacific; Chiampo; Italy
||Amatul-Baha Ruhiyyih Khanum; Ugo Giachery; Malietoa Tanumafili II of Western Samoa; Mashriqul-Adhkar (House of Worship); Mashriqul-Adhkar, Quick facts; Mashriqul-Adhkar, Apia; Dedications; Marble; Husayn Amanat; Malietoa Tanumafili II; Architects; Boxes containing dust, earth or plaster; Bahaullah, Shrine of; BWNS; - Basic timeline, Expanded
|1988 Dec c.
||The Government of Western Samoa publishes a Christmas issue of four stamps of religious buildings, among them the Bahá’í House of Worship in Samoa. [BINS196:8]
||Mashriqul-Adhkar, Apia; Stamps
|1989 5 Jul
||Dr Ugo Giachery, Hand of the Cause of God, passes away while on a visit to Western Samoa. [BINS204:1; VV123]
- For the cable of the Universal House of Justice see BINS204:1.
- Shoghi Effendi had appointed him among the first contingent on the 24th of December, 1951. [MoCxxiii]
||Ugo Giachery; Hands of the Cause; Hands of the Cause, Births and deaths; Births and deaths; In Memoriam; Hands of the Cause, First Contingent
|1992 23 – 26 Nov
||The Second World Congress was held in New York City to commemorate the centenary of the passing of Bahá'u'lláh and the completion of the Six Year Plan. It was attended by some 28,000 Bahá'ís from some 180 countries. [BBD240] [VV136-141] [BW92-3p98-101, 136]
- Nine auxiliary conferences were held in Buenos Aires, Sydney, New Delhi, Nairobi, Panama City, Bucharest, Moscow, Apia and Singapore. [BINS283:3-4]
- For pictures see [BINS283:9-10], [BW92-3p100] and [VV136-141]
- "New York will become a blessed spot from which the call to steadfastness in the Covenant and Testament of God will go forth to every part of the world." - 'Abdu'l-Bahá [AWH77-8 90-1 105-6]
- On the 25th of November a concert was held in Carnegie Hall as a birthday tribute to Dizzy Gillespie called "Celebrating the Bahá'í Vision of World Peace". [VV141]
- On the 26th of November Bahá'ís around the world are linked together by a live satellite broadcast serving the second Bahá'í World Congress, the nine auxiliary conferences and the Bahá'í World Centre and is received by those with access to satellite dish antennas. [BINS283:1–5, 8; BINS286:10; BINS287:4]
- For the message of the Universal House of Justice read on the satellite link see BW92–3:37–4.
- For accounts of personal experiences by some of the attendees see In the Eyes of His Beloved Servants: The Second Bahá'í World Congress and Holy Year by J. Michael Kafes.
|New York; United States; Buenos Aires; Argentina; Sydney; Australia; New Delhi; India; Nairobi; Kenya; Panama; Bucharest; Romania; Moscow; Russia; Apia; Samoa; Singapore
||World Congresses; Carnegie Hall; Centenaries; Bahaullah, Ascension of; Dizzy Gillespie
||His Highness King Malietoa Tanumafili II of Samoa receives The Kitáb-i-Aqdas from Tongan Bahá'ís Sohrab and Soheyla Bolouri. [BINS314:9]
|2007 11 May
||The passing of His Highness Susuga Malietoa Tanumafili II, the Samoan head of state. He was one of the longest reigning monarchs in the world and had been head of state since independence from New Zealand in 1962. [BWNS543]
||Malietoa Tanumafili II of Western Samoa; In memoriam; Births and deaths; Bahai royalty; BWNS