Search for tag "Shrine of Baha'u'llah"
|1922 30 Jan
||Mírzá Muhammad-`Alí and Badí`u'lláh seize the keys to the Shrine of Bahá'u'lláh. [BBR456-7; CB288-9, 333; ER205; GBF18; PP53]
- The governor of `Akká orders that the keys be handed over to the authorities and posts a guard at the Shrine. [BBR457; PP53-4]
- For Western accounts of the episode see BBR456-7.
||Mirza Muhammad-`Ali; Badi`u'llah; Shrine of Baha'u'llah
|1922 21 Apr
||The Shrines of Bahá'u'lláh and the Báb are electrically illuminated for the first time. [PP69]
- For the story of this see HLS.
|Bahji; Mount Carmel
||Shrine of Baha'u'llah; Shrine of the Bab
|1923 8 Feb
||The keys to the Shrine of Bahá'u'lláh are returned to Shoghi Effendi. [GBF23; PP71]
||Shoghi Effendi; Shrine of Baha'u'llah
|1929 27 Nov
||The Mansion at Bahjí is evacuated by the Covenant-breakers after the occupation by Muhammad-Alí and his relatives for about 40 years. [DH116; GPB355–6; PP231-232, SETPE1p174]
- During this time they showed no respect for the Holy Site; a blacksmith shop was set up near the entrance to the Shrine. [SE125]
- For details of how the building is left see GBP356.
- For pictures of its neglected state see DH116.
- Covenant-breakers continue to occupy the adjacent house until June 1957. [PP233]
- See SE126 for Shoghi Effendi's plan for a Shrine of Bahá'u'lláh.
||Mansion at Bahji; Covenant-breakers; Bahji; Shrine of Baha'u'llah
|1938 30 Apr
||Munírih Khánum, the Holy Mother, wife of ‘Abdu’l-Bahá, passes away. [BBD166; BW8:260; CB358; DH161]
- Note: UD119 records this was 28 April.
- Shoghi Effendi inters her body just west of the Shrine of Bahíyyih Khánum and erects a simple monument over her grave. [DH161]
- For excerpts from her autobiography see BW8:259–63.
- For tributes to her see BW8:263–7.
||Munirih Khanum; Holy Mother; In Memoriam; Shrine of Baha'u'llah
|1953. 28 May
||In a message addressed on the eve of the 61st anniversary of the passing of Bahá'u'lláh, at the opening of the Ten Year Crusade, Shoghi Effendi encouraged 70 pioneers to arise to fill the goals promising that a Roll of Honour with their names would be deposited at the entrance door of the inner Sanctuary of the Tomb of Bahá’u’lláh. [MBW48-49]
- He further elaborated in a message addressed to the National Spiritual Assembly of Canada. See the message of the 8 June 1953. [MtC177]
- See 1992 28 May.
||Pioneer; Roll of Honor; Roll of Honour; Sanctuary of the Tomb of Baha’u’llah; Shrine of Baha'u'llah
|1957 6 Sep
||Shoghi Effendi announces ‘the complete evacuation of the remnant of Covenant-breakers and the transfer of all their belongings from the precincts of the Most Holy Shrine’. [MBW124]
- See VSE166 for Audrey Robarts' observation of the Covenant-breakers at Bahjí during her pilgrimage in 1955.
||Bahji; Most Holy Shrine; Covenant-breaker; Shrine of Baha'u'llah
|1992 28 May
||The original scroll bearing the Roll of Honour of the Knights of Bahá'u'lláh is placed by Hand of the Cause Amatu'l-Bahá Rúhíyyih Khánum in a chamber at the entrance door of the inner sanctuary of the Most Holy Shrine. [AWH90, 105; BINS271:1; BW92–3, 98; VV128]
- For pictures see BINS271:9 and VV127, 128.
||Knights of Baha'u'llah; Shrine of Baha'u'llah; Roll of Honour