Search for tag "Singapore"
||Jamál Effendi, accompanied by Hájí Faraju'lláh-i-Tafrishí, embarks on a long journey to the East visiting Burma, Java, Siam, Singapore, Kashmir, Tibet, Yarqand, Khuqand in Chinese Turkistan, and Afghanistan. [EB123–4; PH22]
||Burma; Java; Siam; Singapore; Kashmir; Tibet; Yarqand; Khuqand; Chinese Turkistan; Afghanistan
||Jamal Effendi; Haji Farajullah-i-Tafrishi
||Charles Mason Remey and Howard Struven leave the United States on the first Bahá'í teaching trip to circle the globe. [BFA2:348, GPB261]
- They go to Hawaii, Japan, Shanghai, Singapore and to Burma, India and `Akká. [BFA2:348–50]
|Hawaii; Japan; Shanghai; Singapore; Burma; India; Akka
||Charles Mason Remey; Howard Struven; travel teaching
|1950 25 May
||Dr Khodadad M. Fozdar, a medical officer of the State Railways in India, arrives in Singapore, the first pioneer to the country. [BW13:393]
- His wife, Shirin Fozdar, joins him in September 1950.
||Khodadad M. Fozdar; Shirin Fozdar
||Mr Narain Das, a textile salesman from India working in Singapore, becomes a Bahá’í, the first person in the country to accept the Faith. A few months later Mr Teo Geok Leng, a Chinese Singaporean, becomes a Bahá’í, the first native of Singapore to accept the Faith.
||First Bahais by country or area
||The first local spiritual assembly of Singapore City is established. [BW12:573; PH58, 67]
|1958 23 Sep
||Chartered planes take the conference delegates to Singapore.
|1958 27 – 29 Sep
||The fifth Intercontinental Conference held at the mid-point of the Crusade convenes in Singapore. [BW13:331]
- Hand of the Cause Leroy Ioas, who had been designated by the Guardian as his representative, attends, accompanied by eight other Hands of the Cause. [BW13:331–2]
- For the message of the Custodians to the conference see MC111–6.
- For a report of the conference see BW13:331–2.
||Hands of the Cause; Hands of the Cause, Activities; Leroy Ioas; Conferences, Bahai; Conferences, Teaching; Conferences, Intercontinental; Ten Year Crusade
||The first summer school in Singapore is held.
||First summer and winter schools
|1971 1 – 3 Jan
||The Oceanic Conference of the South China Seas is held in the Victoria Memorial Hall in Singapore. [BW15:319; VV5]
- For pictures see BW15:302–3 and VV6.
||Oceanic Conference; Conference
||The National Spiritual Assembly of Singapore is formed with its seat in Singapore. [BW15:257]
- For picture see BW15:157.
|1988 8 Mar
||Shirin Fozdar, ardent champion of women’s rights and influential women’s leader, is honoured for her work for equality and women’s advancement at a ceremony organized by the Singapore Council of Women, which she founded in 1952. [BINS176:7]
||Shirin Fozdar; Women; Awards
|1992 23 – 26 Nov
||The Second World Congress was held in New York City to commemorate the centenary of the passing of Bahá'u'lláh and the completion of the Six Year Plan. It was attended by some 28,000 Bahá'ís from some 180 countries. [BBD240] [VV136-141] [BW92-3p98-101, 136]
- Nine auxiliary conferences were held in Buenos Aires, Sydney, New Delhi, Nairobi, Panama City, Bucharest, Moscow, Apia and Singapore. [BINS283:3-4]
- For pictures see [BINS283:9-10], [BW92-3p100] and [VV136-141]
- "New York will become a blessed spot from which the call to steadfastness in the Covenant and Testament of God will go forth to every part of the world." - 'Abdu'l-Bahá [AWH77-8 90-1 105-6]
- On the 25th of November a concert was held in Carnegie Hall as a birthday tribute to Dizzy Gillespie called "Celebrating the Bahá'í Vision of World Peace". [VV141]
- On the 26th of November Bahá'ís around the world are linked together by a live satellite broadcast serving the second Bahá'í World Congress, the nine auxiliary conferences and the Bahá'í World Centre and is received by those with access to satellite dish antennas. [BINS283:1–5, 8; BINS286:10; BINS287:4]
- For the message of the Universal House of Justice read on the satellite link see BW92–3:37–4.
- For accounts of personal experiences by some of the attendees see In the Eyes of His Beloved Servants: The Second Bahá'í World Congress and Holy Year by J. Michael Kafes.
|New York; United States; Buenos Aires; Argentina; Sydney; Australia; New Delhi; India; Nairobi; Kenya; Panama; Bucharest; Romania; Moscow; Russia; Apia; Samoa; Singapore
||World Congresses; Carnegie Hall; Centenaries; Bahaullah, Ascension of; Dizzy Gillespie; - Basic timeline, Expanded
from the main catalogue
See all tags, sorted numerically or alphabetically.
- Baha'i Faith, The: 50 Years in Singapore (2000). History of Baha'i activity and teaching in Singapore, from May 26 1950, when the first Baha’i pioneer, Dr. K.M. Fozdar, arrived in Singapore, until the year 2000. [about]