Search for tag "centenary"
|1944 19–25 May
||An international celebration of the Centenary of the founding of the Faith is held at the House of Worship in Wilmette.
- For a description of this event see BW10:158–61.
- For the programme see BW10:162–70.
- For a list of the countries participating in the conference see BW10:168.
||Centenary of the founding of the Faith; House of Worship; Mashriqu'l-Adhkar
|1944 22 May
||Centenary of the Declaration of the Báb.
- For a survey of the growth and development of the Bahá’í Faith in the hundred years since its inception see BW10:142–9.
- Celebrations are held in many parts of the world:
- Britain [BW10:188–201]
Sir Ronald Storrs delivered an address at the opening of the Bahá'í Centenary Exhibition in
London. These are extracts from that speech: “My first glimpse of ‘Abbás Effendi was in the
summer of 1909, when I drove round the Bay of Acre in an Arab cab, visited him in the
barracks and marveled at his serenity and cheerfulness after 42 years of exile and
imprisonment. I kept touch with him through my confidential agent, Husayn Bey Ruhi, son of
a Tabriz martyr. [BW10p189-195]
- India [BW10:202–8]
- Egypt [BW10:208–17]
- Iraq [BW10:217–22]
- Australia [BW 10:222–8]
- Latin America [BW10:228–33]
- The end of the celebrations marking this occasion signal the end of the First Epoch of the Formative Age. [BBD79; CF5; PP390]
||Centenary of the Declaration of the Bab; Formative Age
|1944 22–23 May
||The Centenary of the Declaration of the Báb is celebrated at the House of the Báb in Shíráz. [BW10:181]
- Ninety delegates to the national convention and members of the National Spiritual Assembly of Iran assemble discreetly for the occasion.
- For details of this event and the caution with which the arrangements for it are made see BW10:181–3.
- The Guardian sends the Persian Bahá’ís a lengthy letter detailing how the observance and the week-long festivities to follow are to be made. [BW10:183]
- For details of the events see BW10:183–8.
||Centenary of the Declaration of the Bab; House of the Bab; national convention; NSA
|1944 22–23 May
||The Centenary of the Declaration of the Báb is commemorated in the Holy Land. [BW10:150]
- For a description of this event by Rúhíyyih Khánum see BW10:150–7.
- For press accounts see BW10:156–7.
||Centenary of the Declaration of the Báb
|1950 9 Jul
||The Centenary of the Martyrdom of the Báb is commemorated.
- For Shoghi Effendi’s message to the Bahá’ís on this occasion see BW12:191–3.
- For accounts of commemorations around the world see BW12:205–8.
- A small group of Bahá’í pilgrims visit the site of the Báb’s martyrdom and other places associated with His life. [BW12:217–26]
- The columned arcade and parapet of the Shrine of the Báb are completed. [ZK284–5]
||Centenary of the Martyrdom of the Báb; Shrine of the Báb
|1951 30 Nov
||Shoghi Effendi announces plans for the Great Jubilee commemorating the centenary of the birth of the Revelation of Bahá’u’lláh in the Síyáh-Chál. [BW12:24–6, 115–16; MBW16–18]
||Great Jubilee; centenary of birth of Revelation of Bahá’u’lláh
|1970 23 Jun
||The centenary of the death of Mírzá Mihdí is commemorated with a day of prayer by Bahá’ís around the world and in the Holy Land with a pilgrimage to the barracks in ‘Akká, Bahjí and to his monument. [BW15:162–3]
||Centenary of death of Mírzá Mihdí
|2013 11 Apr – 5 Dec
||The commemoration of the centenary of the visit of ‘Abdu'l-Bahá to North America. [BWNS918]