|1847. 1 Apr
||The Báb receives a letter and gifts from Bahá'u'lláh in Tihrán delivered to His Hands by Mulla Muhammad-Mihdiy-i-Kandi. The letter cheers His heart, which has been despondent since His arrest and departure from Shíráz. [B120; DB227; GPB678]
||Tihran; Shiraz; Iran
||Bab, Life of; Gifts; Bahaullah, Writings of
|1862. c. 1862
||Bahá'u'lláh sends a ring and cashmere shawl to His niece, Shahr-Bánú, the daughter of Mírzá Muhammad-Hasan, in Tihrán to ask for her hand in marriage to ‘Abdu'l-Bahá. Shahr-Bánú's uncle, acting in place of her dead father, refuses to let her go to Iraq. [BKG342–3]
||Tihran; Iran; Baghdad; Iraq
||Bahaullah, Life of; Rings; Shawls; Gifts; Shahr-Banu; Mirza Muhammad-Hasan (King of Martyrs); King of Martyrs and Beloved of Martyrs; Abdul-Baha, Life of
|1868 26 - 27 Aug
||The steamer carrying Bahá'u'lláh docks at Alexandria, early in the morning. [BKG265; RB3:6]
- The exiles change ships, again onto an Austrian-Lloyd ship. [BKG265]
Several exiles go ashore to make purchases. One passes by the prison house where Nabíl is detained. Nabíl, watching from the roof of his prison cell, recognizes him. [CH65, BKG265, 267; RB3:6]
Nabíl and Fáris Effendi write letters to Bahá'u'lláh which are delivered by a Christian youth. The youth returns with a Tablet from Bahá'u'lláh and gifts from `Abdu'l-Bahá and Mírzá Mihdí. [BKG267–8; RB3:6–7]
The ship bearing Bahá'u'lláh and the exiles leaves Alexandria for Port Said. [BKG268]
||Bahaullah, Life of; Bahaullah, Banishment of; Nabil-i-Azam; Faris Effendi; Gifts; Ships
|1909 21 Mar
||`Abdu'l-Bahá lays the sacred remains of the Báb in their final resting place at the Shrine in Haifa. [AB126; BBD210; DH138; GBF103; GPB276]
- See AB126–30, CT84 and GPB273–8 for details of the occasion and its history.
- The Shrine is a simple rectangular structure of six rooms. [DH71, ZK284]
- The marble sarcophagus used for the remains of the Báb is a gift from the Bahá'ís of Rangoon. [AB129; MC155]
- For details of the sarcophagus see RB3:431.
|Mount Carmel; Rangoon; Myanmar (Burma); Chicago; United States
||Bab, Shrine of; Bab, Sarcophagus for; Marble; Gifts
|1912 19 Dec
||Hájí Amín, the Trustee of the Huqúqu'lláh, presented 'Abdu'l-Bahá with a gift from a poor workman in 'Ishqábád. He had nothing monetary to offer so he gave Hájí Amín his mid-day meal, two small loaves of bread and an apple wrapped in a handkerchief. 'Abdu'l-Bahá took the offering tenderly, ate a small piece of the stale bread and gave the rest to be passed around to the rest of the table. [SoW Vol III No 19 2Mar1913 p5, ABTM278]
||London; United Kingdom
||Abdul-Baha, Travels of; Abdul-Baha, Second Western tour; Gifts; Huququllah; Haji Amin
|1912 24 Dec
||`Abdu'l-Bahá received many expensive Christmas gifts; He turned them all away by returning them and asking the donors to sell them and give the money to the poor.
That evening He visited the Salvation Army Shelter in Westminster. That night there were 1,000 men present. After His talk He departed but not before leaving twenty gold sovereigns and many handfuls of silver with Col Spencer for a similar dinner to be held on New Year's Eve. [ABTM282-283]
|London; United Kingdom
||Abdul-Baha, Travels of; Abdul-Baha, Second Western tour; Charity and relief work; Gifts
|1913 11 Apr
||Julius Germanus from the Eastern Academy calls upon 'Abdu'l-Bahá at His hotel accompanied by his Turkish students. [SBBR14p112]
- 'Abdu'l-Bahá visits Hungarian Orientalist Professor Ignáz Goldziher in his home. He was the first person of the Jewish Faith to occupy a professional chair in the University of Budapest. and he has previously written about the Bahá'í Faith. Some time later Professor Goldziher received a carpet and a tablet as a gift from 'Abdu'l-Bahá. [SBBR14p116, AB386]
- 'Abdu'l-Bahá delivers a lecture in the old Parliament organized by the Peace Society and the Esperanto Association to an audience estimated to be 500, 800 or 1,000 depending on the source. He is flanked by Catholic prelate Dr Alexander Giesswein and Dr. Goldziher, a Jewish Orientalist. The significance of seeing an eminent Jewish scholar and a Catholic clergyman on the same stage on either side of 'Abdu'l-Bahá is not lost on the audience and they break into applause. [SBBR14p116-117. MRHK362]
- After the lecture a dinner is given in His honour at the Hotel Pannonia. [MRHK366]
||Abdul-Baha, Travels of; Abdul-Baha, Second Western tour; Julius Germanus; Ignaz Goldziher; Alexander Giesswein; Gifts; Carpets
|1913 13 Jun - 2 Dec
||At some time during His stay in Egypt 'Abdu'l-Bahá meets with Sir Ronald Storrs who presents Him to Lord Kitchener. [BW10p192,194]
- 'Abdu'l-Bahá presents him with a specimen of writing by Mishkín-Qalam and His own Persian pen box.
||Sir Ronald Storrs; Lord Kitchener; Mishkin-Qalam; Gifts
||The British Military Administration of Palestine begins. [BBR488]
- Sir Ronald Storrs is detached from Jerusalem to organize the British Administration in Haifa. 'Abdu'l-Bahá offers him His staff and a gift of a little Bokkara rug from the Shrine of the Báb. He returns the visit to Sir Ronald at a later date in Jerusalem. [BW10 194-5]
||Britain; Sir Ronald Storrs; Gifts; Carpets
||Shoghi Effendi entrusts Dr William Slater and his wife Ida Slater, who are visiting Haifa on a 19-day pilgrimage, with carpets from the Shrines of the Báb and 'Abdu'l-Bahá for the House of Worship in Chicago. [SETPE1p149]
||Haifa; Wilmette; United States
||William Slater; Ida Slater; Mashriqul-Adhkar, Wilmette; Bab, Shrine of; Carpets; Gifts
||A ceremony is held at the American annual convention in dedication of the resumption of the building activities on the Wilmette Temple. [BBRSM183; BW3:47]
- Shoghi Effendi’s gift to the Temple is ‘the most valuable sacred possession in the Holy Land’ a ‘precious ornament of the Tomb of Bahá’u’lláh’, an exquisite Persian carpet. [BA180–1; BW4:208–12]
|Wilmette; United States
||annual convention; Bahai Temple; Bahaullah, Shrine of; Mashriqul-Adhkar; Gifts; Carpets
|1934 23 Jan
||Shoghi Effendi gives Queen Marie of Romania the gift of a Tablet in the handwriting of Bahá’u’lláh. [GBF50; PP116]
||Shoghi Effendi; Queen Marie; Gifts
|1937 25 Mar
||Shoghi Effendi marries Mary Maxwell, Amatu’l-Bahá Rúhíyyih Khánum. [PP151; UD115]
- For a description of the simple wedding see GBF68–9 and PP151–2.
- Shoghi Effendi stresses that the marriage draws the Occident and the Orient closer together. [GBF69–70; PP153]
- The American Bahá’í community sends $19 from each of its 71 Assemblies as a wedding gift. [GBF70; PP153]
- An extension is built onto Shoghi Effendi’s apartment on the roof of ‘Abdu’l-Bahá’s house in Haifa to accommodate the couple. [BBD107; DH152]
- See also MA89.
||Shoghi Effendi, Life of; Amatul-Baha Ruhiyyih Khanum; Interracial marriage; Gifts
|1944 Nov (mid)
||The publication of God Passes By, a history of the first century of the Bábí and Bahá’í Faiths by Shoghi Effendi. BBRSM137; CB308–9; GPBXI]
- Shoghi Effendi intended the book to be a gift to the Bahá’ís of the West on the occasion of the hundredth anniversary of the Declaration of the Báb but conditions in the United States delayed its publication. [GT79–80; PP224]
- For information on how Shoghi Effendi wrote the book, "the only true book we have from his pen", see GBF95–6 and PP222–4.
||Shoghi Effendi; God Passes By (book); Shoghi Effendi, Writings of; Gifts; Publications
|1952 26 Mar
||Sutherland Maxwell, Hand of the Cause of God, passes away in Montreal. (b.14 November, 1874) [DH143; MBW132; PP246]
- For his obituary see BW12:657–62.
- Shoghi Effendi had appointed him among the first contingent on the 24th of December, 1951. [MoCxxiii]
- For his relationship with Shoghi Effendi and work on the superstructure of the Shrine of the Báb see PP236–43.
- Shoghi Effendi names the southern door of the Báb’s tomb after him in memory of his services.
- On June 16th, 1952, friends for the Montreal area gather at the grave to place, under the headstone, an alabaster box that had been sent by the Guardian. The box contains a piece of plaster taken from the walls of the prison in Máh-Kú where the Báb had been incarcerated in 1847. Another piece of plaster from the same source had been placed under the first golden tile of the dome of the Shrine of the Báb. The superstructure of the Shrine had been designed by Sutherland Maxwell. [TG55]
||Sutherland Maxwell; Architects; Fortress of Mah-Ku; Gifts; Relics; Bab, Shrine of; In Memoriam; Births and deaths
|1953 2 May
||The House of Worship in Wilmette is dedicated in a public ceremony. [BW12:142, BWNS218]
- For the text of the Guardian’s message of dedication see BW12:141–2.
- For an account of the event see BW12:154–63.
- See The Bahá'í Faith 1844-1952 Information Statistical & Comparative p24-26 for project statistics and a chronology of events.
- Towards the end of his life in Tehran, Ahmad (of "Tablet of Ahmad" fame) had entrusted the original Tablet to his grandson Jamal who in turn, out of the purity of his heart and his devotion to the Faith of God offered it as a gift to Hand of the Cause, Trustee of Huqúq, the son and brother of two illustrious martyrs, Jinab-i-Valiyu'llah Varqá. When Jinab-i-Varqa, according to the instructions of the beloved Guardian, was sent to take part in this dedication ceremony he brought this most precious Tablet as his offering to the archives of the Bahá'ís of the United States. [A Flame of Fire by A.Q. Faizi.]
Location: Wilmette, Illinois, U.S. Cook County
Foundation Stone: by ‘Abdu’l-Bahá, 1 May, 1912
Construction Period;The purchase of the site completed: 1914. Design Chosen: 1920. Superstructure: 1921 – 1 May 1931. External Ornamentation: June 1932 -1943. Interior: 1951
Dedication: 1 May 1953
Architects Louis Bourgeois with Alfred Shaw (interior cladding)
Dimensions: 203ft at the base and 191ft high
Cost: $2.6 million
Dependencies: Construction of a home for the aged was began in December, 1957 and inaugurated on 1 February, 1959. It is located about three blocks away.
Note: In GPB349 Shoghi Effendi states that “…this enterprise—the crowning achievement of the Administrative Order of the Faith of Bahá’u’lláh in the first Bahá’í century…”.
References: CEBF236-241,GPB348-353, MDM121-239, The Dawning Place
|Wilmette; United States
||Mashriqul-Adhkar, Wilmette; Lawh-i-Ahmad (Tablet of Ahmad (Arabic)); Gifts; Archives; Dedications; Mashriqul-Adhkar (House of Worship); Mashriqul-Adhkar, Quick facts; Alfred Shaw; Architects; Bahai Home for the Aged; Mashriqul-Adhkar, Dependencies of; BWNS
|1957 7 May
||Shoghi Effendi sends a fragment of the plaster from the room of the Báb in the Fortress of Máh-Kú to Australia to be set in the foundations of the Mashriqu’l-Adhkár. [LANZ134; SBR172]
||Mashriqul-Adhkar, Sydney; Fortress of Mah-Ku; Gifts; Relics; Shoghi Effendi, Life of
|1961 15 Jan
||The House of Worship in Kampala is officially opened by Hand of the Cause Rúhíyyih Khánum in a public service attended by 1,500 people. [BW13:715–18; MC15]
- For message of the Custodians to the dedication service see MC2503.
- For cable of the Custodians to the Bahá’ís of the world see MC253.
Location: Northern Kampala, on Dikaaya Hill in Kawempe Division.
Foundation Stone: 26 Jan 1958 (Beneath the stone is a silver box containing the sacred earth from the Shrine of Bahá’u’lláh and a wooden box containing a piece of the plaster from the Prison Fortress of Máh-Kú where the Báb had been incarcerated.)
Construction Period: Land purchased: 20 April 1954, January 1958 – 14 January 1961
Site Dedication: 14 January 1961 (Amatu’l-Bahá Rúhíyyih Khánum brought a gift from the Guardian- a carpet from the Shrine of Bahá’u’lláh was hung on the inside of the door facing the Qiblih.)
Architect: Charles Mason Remey
Seating: Over 400 (800 for Dedication ceremony)
Dimensions: Dome at its base-44ft. Diameter of inner floor-84ft. Circumference: 265ft yielding 5,550 sqft of floor space. Height of the building-124ft.
Cost: $ ? (initial budget was 42,00 Pounds Sterling)
References: BW13p704-719, CEBF241
||Mashriqul-Adhkar (House of Worship); Mashriqul-Adhkar, Quick facts; Mashriqul-Adhkar, Kampala; Amatul-Baha Ruhiyyih Khanum; Dedications; Architects; Gifts; Boxes containing dust, earth or plaster; Bahaullah, Shrine of; Mah-Ku
|1961 17 Sep
||The House of Worship in Sydney is officially opened by Hand of the Cause Rúhíyyih Khánum in two public services, each attended by 900 people. [BW13:732]
- For message of the Custodians to the dedication service see MC309–12.
- For cable of the Custodians to the Bahá’ís of the world see MC313.
Location: Sydney, Australia (Ingleside on the MonaVale Road).
Foundation Stone: 26 Jan 1958 (Clara Dunn and Hand of the Cause Charles Mason Remey, who had been designated by the Guardian as his representative, while attending the 2nd International Conference 21-24 March, 1958. A small bag of earth from the inner Shrine of Bahá’u’lláh and a piece of plaster from the room of the Báb in Máh-Kú was deposited under the floor.)
Construction Period: 1957-1961
Site Dedication:16 September 1961 (Amatu’l-Bahá Rúhíyyih Khánum brought a gift from the Guardian- a green silk carpet from the Shrine of Bahá’u’lláh.)
Architect C.M. Remey
Dimensions: 124ft at the base and 130ft high
Cost: Original budget was 120,000 Pounds Sterling
References: BW13:319-322, BW13p720-732 CEBF241
||Mashriqul-Adhkar (House of Worship); Mashriqul-Adhkar, Quick facts; Mashriqul-Adhkar, Sydney; Amatul-Baha Ruhiyyih Khanum; Dedications; Clara Dunn; Charles Mason Remey; Architects; Boxes containing dust, earth or plaster; Bahaullah, Shrine of; Mah-Ku; Gifts
||The Universal House of Justice erects an obelisk on the site of the future House of Worship of the Holy Land on land that was purchased in 1953 with a gift of $50,000 from Milly Collins. [MBW63, 78-79, BBD 172; BW15:177–8; DH175; MUHJ83–4, SES18-20]
||Universal House of Justice; Mashriqul-Adhkar, Haifa; Obelisks; Gifts
|1983 29 Apr - 2 May
||The Universal House of Justice is elected for the fifth time at the International Convention held in Haifa.
- The National Spiritual Assembly of Iran is unable to attend but sends 133 red roses as its gift to its sister Assemblies. [BW18:461]
- For a report of the Convention see BW18:461–4.
- See BW18:462, 464 for pictures.
||Universal House of Justice, Election of; Elections; Universal House of Justice, Members of; International conventions; Conventions; Gifts; Roses; NSA
||The Universal House of Justice is elected for the sixth time at the International Convention held in Haifa. Delegates from 148 National/Regional Assemblies participated. [BINS176; VV97]
- David Hofman and H. Borrah Kavelin announce their retirement. [VV97]
- A gift of a large bowl of 120 roses was received from the Bahá'í of Iran.
|BWC; Haifa; Iran
||Universal House of Justice, Election of; Elections; Universal House of Justice, Members of; International conventions; Conventions; David Hofman; H. Borrah Kavelin; Retirements; Gifts; Roses