Search for tag "seven goats"
See all tags, sorted numerically or alphabetically.
|1850. 19 or 20 Feb
||Martyrdom of the Seven Martyrs of Tihrán. Seven of the Bábís are executed in Tihrán on the false charge of having plotted to kill the Grand Vizier. [B182–5; BBD225; BBR100–5; BBRSM28, 216; BKG71; BW18:381; DB462; GPB47–8]
- See BBD225, BBR100 and BW18:381 for a list of their names.
- Three of the victims are so eager to be martyrs that they ask the executioner if they can be the first to die. [B183; BBD225; GPB47]
- Their bodies are left in the public square for three days. [BBD225; GPB47]
- See GPB478 for the chief features of the episode.
- The martyrs are the ‘Seven Goats' referred to in Islamic traditions that were to ‘walk in front' of the promised Qá'im. [GPB47–8]
- See B206–7 and BBR100–5 for the accounts of the event and responses of Prince Dolgorukov and Lt-Col Sheil.
||Persecution, Iran; Persecution, Deaths; Persecution; Seven martyrs; Seven goats; Qaim; Grand Viziers; Prince Dolgorukov; Sheil