Search for tag "torture"
|1845. 1 Nov
||The Times of London carries an item on the arrest and torture of Quddús, Mullá Sádiq-i-Khurásání, Mullá `Alí-Akbar-i-Ardistání and Mullá Abú-Tálib in Shíráz in June. This is the first known printed reference to the Revelation. A similar article is reprinted on 19 November. [B76–7; BBR4, 69]
||Shíráz; Iran; London; England
||arrest; torture; Quddus; Mulla Sadiq-i-Khurasani; Mulla `Ali-Akbar-i-Ardistani; Mulla Abu-Talib
||First newspaper story of the events of the Bábí Faith|
|1849. 16 May
||Quddús is tortured and, in the public square, he is struck down with an axe, dismembered and burnt. [B176; BBD191; BW18:381; DB409–13; MH283–4]
- As he dies he begs God's forgiveness for his foes. [DB411; MH284]
- His remains are gathered and buried by a friend. [B176; DB413]
- See GPB49–50 for the rank and titles of Quddús.
|Bárfurúsh; Iran; Persia
||Quddus; torture; death; burial
||In Mílán, Iran, 15 Bábís are arrested and imprisoned. [BW18:382]
Many Bábís are tortured and killed in the weeks following the attempt on the life of the Sháh. [BKG84]
- See BBR171 for the story of Mahmud Khán, the Kalántar of Tihrán, and his role in the arrest and execution of the Bábís.
- See BKG84–93 for a description of the tortures and executions of Bábís. Thirty–eight Bábís are martyred.
- See BKG86–7 and DB616–21 for the torture and martyrdom of Sulaymán Khán. Holes are gouged in his body and nine lighted candles are inserted. He joyfully dances to the place of his execution. His body is hacked in two, each half is then suspended on either side of the gate.
- The persecutions are so severe that the community is nearly annihilated. The Bábí remnant virtually disappears from view until the 1870s. [BBRSM:30; EB269]
|Mílán; Tihrán; Tehran; Iran; Persia
||Bábí; arrest; torture; prison; Sháh; Mahmud Khán; Kalántar; martyr; Sulaymán Khán
|1988. 19 Feb
||The publication of the statement by the Bahá'í International Community, “Eliminating Torture”, to the fouty-fourth session of the United Nations Commission on Human Rights.
||Eliminating Torture; United Nations; UN