New Course on the Kitab-i-Iqan
This is an archived post from the old bulletin board. For new posts, see the forum.
Posted by Jonah on August 14, 2000 at 23:05:09:
Study of the Bahá'í Faith
Exploring Bahá'u'lláh's Revelation Course
Introduction to the Kitáb-i-Íqán and Related Texts
TOPIC: Shoghi Effendi extolls the Kitáb-i-Íqán as "foremost among the priceless treasures cast forth from the billowing ocean of Bahá'u'lláh's Revelation" (God Passes By, 138). He went on to describe it as "a model of Persian prose, of a style at once original, chaste, and vigorous, both cogent in argument and matchless in its irresistible eloquence" and noted that "this Book, setting forth in outline the Grand Redemptive Scheme of God, occupies a position unequalled by any work in the entire range of Bahá'í literature, except the Kitáb-i-Aqdas, Bahá'u'lláh's Most Holy Book."
DATES: Sept. 1 to Dec. 31, 2000
TEXTS: In addition to the Book of Certitude itself, the principal text is Hooper Dunbar's new book, A Companion to the Study of the Kitáb-i-Íqán. Portions of John Hatcher's Ocean of His Words will also be assigned. Students should own Some Answered Questions and Selections from the Writings of 'Abdu'l-Bahá in order to study related passages in those books.
Dr. Iraj Ayman
Mr. Brent Poirier
Dr. Robert Stockman
Mr. Jonah Winters
A twenty percent discount is available when registering as part of a local group of three or more (who pledge to meet together semimonthly to study the texts) or to senior citizens (65 and older) or to those whose service to the Faith engenders financial hardship. Larger discounts are available for even larger groups who plan to study the course together. Financial aid is also available.
There are no residential requirements, for the course is conducted by correspondence and over the internet. The Institute may be able to assist students to obtain college credit.
The course may be taken at the introductory level (a basic course that will help students teach the Faith more effectively), the intermediate level (for more in-depth study) or the advanced level (equivalent to graduate-level study).
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Get more information on this course by writing to email@example.com or by clicking here or apply to the course by clicking here.
WORK EXPECTATIONS: The courses will take five to ten hours of work each week and will involve:
GRADING OPTIONS: The course is usually taken pass/fail with review and comments about assignments by your mentor. It may be taken for a grade (A, B, C, D, F).
- Reading and discussion. The course is divided into a series of units, each of which involves reading part of the Kitáb-i-Íqán and discussing it with fellow students, either by e-mail (the course will have an e-mail listserver called "IQAN") or by voluntary participation in conference calls. Because of the speed and efficiency of e-mail, students are urged to get it before taking the course.
- Assistance by a mentor/advisor, who reviews and comments on all homework you do and answers your questions.
- For those who are part of local study groups, discussion assignments may be provided.
- Access to the course's password-protected web site, which includes additional study material and completed sample homework assignments.
- Assistance with planning a presentation on the Kitáb-i-Íqán (fireside, deepening, or local study class) and with a final written project.
this topic is closed - post at bahai-library.com/forum