Debunking the Myths: My first book

Conferences, meetings, publications
AdibM

Debunking the Myths: My first book

Postby AdibM » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:38 pm

Vladimir Lenin once said that a lie told often enough becomes truth. If one takes a look at the way Bahá'ís have been viewed and treated by their adversaries, particularly Muslim clerics from Shaykh Fazlollah Nuri to Falsafi to Dorri-Najafabadi and other leaders of the current Iranian regime, they will see an unfortunate truth to Lenin’s assertion. Various baseless claims have been put forth as truth in various public forums and media. Over time, these have been accepted as “truth” due to repetition and a general apathy by the Iranian masses towards independent investigation of such claims. Gradually, most of us have simply come to accept a variety of often conflicting claims about the Bahá’ís. For instance, the Bahá’ís were created by the British AND Russians in the 19th-century (while both were actually competing for influence in Persia!). Or that we held positions of power in the Pahlavi regime and were also agents of Israel, international Zionism, and American Imperialism. During the Iran-Iraqi war, some Bahá’ís were even labeled as Iraqi agents!

For a while now, I have wanted to discredit these and similar myths. So, I decided to write a short book on the subject. The book is now available as “Debunking the Myths: Conspiracy Theories on the Genesis and Mission of the Bahá’í Faith." In 89 pages, this work provides an analysis of the most widespread anti-Bahá’í allegations raised by clerics and Iranian polemicists over the past century or so. These include such myths as Prince Dolgorukov of Russia acting as the prime motivator of the Báb, the British General, Arthur Conolly, as the one who persuaded Mulla Husayn to push the Báb into starting his religion, or considering `Abdu’l-Bahá’s knighthood in 1920 as irrefutable evidence of Bahá’í ties to British imperialism.

The book also discusses whether any of the influential members of the Sháh’s regime were Bahá’ís from Amir Abbas Hoveida to General Nassiri or Parviz Sabeti of SAVAK to Farrokhroo Pársá and others. And unlike anti-Bahá’í polemicists who hardly ever provide credible sources for their claims, this book offers about 140 citations with a bibliography of over 50 different books and credible websites (both Bahá'í and non-Bahá'í) to substantiate its assertions.

The book is available in two versions:

Black and White ($9.95):

http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback_b ... hs/6430166

Full-color ($22.30):

http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback_b ... hs/5483633

I hope those who have always wondered about the credibility of claims against the Baha’is take a look at this book and decide for themselves where the truth is. Just as the Protocols of the Elders of Zion has been proven a farce, so must the Dolgorukov Memoirs and other fabrications be exposed, once and for all, for what they are - insults to scholarship. I have attempted to do that, too, in this work.

Regards,
Adib Masumian
"To be a Bahá'í simply means to love all the world; to love humanity and try to serve it; to work for universal peace and universal brotherhood." -- `Abdu'l-Bahá

brettz9

Re: Debunking the Myths: My first book

Postby brettz9 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:48 pm

Hi Adib,

Thank you for rendering, what appears should be a great service to scholarship.

If you wish to possibly find a wider circulation, you might try submitting your work through a Baha'i publisher (or at least getting review and submitting it to whatever publisher you wish). While no doubt it appears you've been quite careful, the review process (one to which 'Abdu'l-Baha Himself submitted) might also ensure a more optimally balanced presentation, especially important I would say in such an area as this. (Granted I know, the internet does not require review, but it would seem that such a work could benefit from it, as well as perhaps a wider circulation for your work.)

best wishes,
Brett

AdibM

Re: Debunking the Myths: My first book

Postby AdibM » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:06 pm

Hello and thank you Brett,

I forgot to mention that this publication was actually reviewed and accepted by the National Spiritual Assembly of the USA. Perhaps in the future I can try to get it distributed through Oneworld, George Ronald, or another publisher, but given its narrow scope and comparatively small size, I'm skeptical about success in this regard.

Regards,
Adib
"To be a Bahá'í simply means to love all the world; to love humanity and try to serve it; to work for universal peace and universal brotherhood." -- `Abdu'l-Bahá

Return to “Announcements”