Meaning of "will tread under all..."

alexbn

Meaning of "will tread under all..."

Postby alexbn » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:57 pm

Dear friends,
Would any of you know the meaning of "tread under" in this passage? It doesn't seem to mean "tread under foot" (ie. trample upon). In case you knew the original Arabic or Persian source, that might help in understanding it as well.

“A race of men,” is His written promise, “incomparable in character, shall be raised up which, with the feet of detachment, will tread under all who are in heaven and on earth, and will cast the sleeve of holiness over all that hath been created from water and clay.” ADJ 31
http://reference.bahai.org/en/t/se/ADJ/adj-2.html.utf8?query=with%20the%20feet%20of%20detachment&action=highlight#pg31

Alex

BritishBahai

Re: Meaning of "will tread under all..."

Postby BritishBahai » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:28 pm

Hi Alex:

I think that the word "tread" is being used in the context of "treading water" (and not in the context of walking). I don't know what you guys in America call it, but us Brits refer to "treading water" when you're trying to stay in one place in the swimming pool, so your feet is going up and down. Do you know what I mean??

I'm almost certain it's referring to treading water, because water is sometimes used as a symbol in the Bahai writings.
(Go to this page).
"I have desired only what Thou didst desire, and love only what Thou dost love"

Return to “Bahá'í Writings”