Obligatory prayers

jenniferatemple

Obligatory prayers

Postby jenniferatemple » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:46 pm

Two questions:
1. is there a particular form ablutions take for spiritual cleansing?
2. Is it acceptable to offer more than one of the three in a day? For example both the long and the short.

brettz9

Re: Obligatory prayers

Postby brettz9 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:24 pm

jenniferatemple wrote:1. is there a particular form ablutions take for spiritual cleansing?

Although as per http://bahai9.com/wiki/Ablutions#Abluti ... nd_washing , ablutions are indicated as having significance beyond mere washing, I haven't seen anything addressing their use outside of the prescribed activities.

There is this quote, but I'm not sure whether it just refers to the activities for which ablutions are prescribed:

QUESTION: If, for another purpose, one hath performed ablutions, and the time of obligatory prayer arriveth, are these ablutions sufficient or must they be renewed?

ANSWER: These same ablutions are sufficient, and there is no need for them to be renewed.

(Baha'u'llah, Kitab-i-Aqdas, Question and Answer, no. 62)

As far as prescriptions for seeking forgiveness, if that is in line with what you are seeking, besides a good number of general prayers, there is this of the 9th "Glad Tidings":

When the sinner findeth himself wholly detached and freed from all save God, he should beg forgiveness and pardon from Him. Confession of sins and transgressions before human beings is not permissible, as it hath never been nor will ever be conducive to divine forgiveness. Moreover such confession before people results in one's humiliation and abasement, and God--exalted be His glory--wisheth not the humiliation of His servants. Verily He is the Compassionate, the Merciful. The sinner should, between himself and God, implore mercy from the Ocean of mercy, beg forgiveness from the Heaven of generosity and say:

[prayer continued here]

(Tablets of Baha'u'llah, p.24, emphasis added)

If considered relevant, there is this quote permitting Fasting at other times besides the main Fast (came to mind since you are talking about ablutions at other times).

See http://bahai9.com/wiki/Ablutions for more quotations collected on the topic of ablutions.

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:55 pm

jenniferatemple wrote:2. Is it acceptable to offer more than one of the three in a day? For example both the long and the short.

I think permission for this is implied by this:

86. QUESTION: At noon, which is the time for two of the Obligatory Prayers--the short midday prayer, and the prayer to be offered in the morning, noon, and evening--is it necessary in this case to perform two ablutions or would one suffice?

ANSWER: The renewal of ablutions is unnecessary.

(Baha'u'llah, Kitab-i-Aqdas, Questions and Answers, no. 86)

But not required:

65. QUESTION: In the Tablet of Obligatory Prayers, three prayers are revealed; is the performance of all three required or not?

ANSWER: It is enjoined to offer one of these three prayers; whichever is performed sufficeth.

(Baha'u'llah, Kitab-i-Aqdas, Questions and Answers, no. 65)

jenniferatemple

Postby jenniferatemple » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:40 pm

What I meant to ask is in the performance of ablutions is there a formal ritual to apply to the washing of one's hands and face or is it simply washing of the hands and face as one might do for any other reason. I always wonder as I am applying the soap if this particular washing is formalized in any way.

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:53 pm

I am not aware of any details on this and assume they would have been published with the Aqdas if so. FYI, the Qur'an mentions washing of the feet (as well as elbows) in addition to the hands and face, but this is not indicated as a part of the Baha'i prayers which forms its own law.

Return to “Bahá'í Writings”