What is the 'Mahabad' faith

All research or scholarship questions
Choomorouse

What is the 'Mahabad' faith

Postby Choomorouse » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:30 pm

In 'Tabernacle of Unity' references are made to the 'Mahabad' faith. Does anyone know to which sect of which religion this refers to?

On the internet I have only found a city in Western Iran with this name. Could this city be related to this religion?

onepence

Re: What is the 'Mahabad' faith

Postby onepence » Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:12 pm

akb wrote:In 'Tabernacle of Unity' references are made to the 'Mahabad' faith. Does anyone know to which sect of which religion this refers to?

On the internet I have only found a city in Western Iran with this name. Could this city be related to this religion?

could you give the Text you are refer to ... exact quote ... paragraph form ... thanks

oneness
dh

Dorumerosaer

Postby Dorumerosaer » Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:56 pm

I believe that Mahabad is considered by the Zoroastrians to have been a Prophet who appeared before Zoroaster. I am guessing that there is no footnote in the Text, because the scholarship on this subject is very diffuse and not agreed upon. That's just a guess. Anyway, the Tablets in this new Book are addressed by the Manifestation to the followers of Zoroaster, and the reference would have been very well known to them.
Brent

brettz9

Speaking of which...

Postby brettz9 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:11 pm

We'd love to have this work online if someone in possession of the book could type it up (or scan it).... It could even be divyed up...

Besides rendering a service, it makes for a good opportunity to read!

best wishes,
Brett

Zazaban

Postby Zazaban » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:47 pm

Another obscure Prophet :P

I love obscure things :P
Justice and equity are twin Guardians that watch over men. From them are revealed such blessed and perspicuous words as are the cause of the well-being of the world and the protection of the nations.
~ Bahá'u'lláh

Choomorouse

Postby Choomorouse » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:30 pm

onepence

Postby onepence » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:52 pm

don't know if this paper would help

Bahá'u'lláh as Zoroastrian saviour
Christopher Buck

http://bahai-library.com/bsr/bsr08/821_ ... oaster.htm

... An ideal case-study is that of Bahá'u'lláh whose claim to multiple messiahship is unusual in the history of religions, parallelled only by the second-century world-prophet, Mání (d. 276). ...

///////////////////

anyway ... thought of you guys and this thread when i saw the title ...

oneness
the apostle dean

Choomorouse

Online version of 'Tabernacle of Unity' posted

Postby Choomorouse » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:59 am

The scanned text of 'Tabernacle of Unity' has now been posted online on: http://bahai-library.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=957

The references mentioned about the Mahabad Faith are the below. Does anyone know more about the 28 Prophets?

2.2 First: “The Prophets of Mahábád, together with Zoroaster, were twenty-eight in number. Each one of them sought to exalt, rather than abrogate, the faith and religion of the others. Each one that appeared bore witness to the truth and veracity of the former law and religion and breathed no word about abolishing them. Each declared: ‘We are the bearers of a Revelation from God, which We deliver unto His servants.’ Some of the Hindu Prophets, however, have declared: ‘We are God Himse1f and it is incumbent upon the entire creation to bear allegiance unto Us. Whensoever conflict and dissension appear amongst men, We arise to quench it.’ Each one that appeared announced: ‘I am the same One that appeared in the beginning.’ The latter Prophets such as David, Abraham, Moses and Jesus confirmed the truth of the Prophets gone before them, but said: ‘Such was the law in the past, but in this day the law is that which I proclaim.’ The Arabian Prophet, however, hath said: ‘Through My appearance every law hath proven to be unsound and no law holdeth but Mine.’ Which of these creeds is acceptable and which of these leaders is to be preferred?”

2.14 Another inquiry made by him is the following: “The laws of Islam are based on religious principles and jurisprudence,9 but in the Mahábád and Hindu religions there are only principles, and all laws, even those regarding the drinking of water or giving and taking in marriage, are considered a part of these principles, as are all other matters of human life. Kindly indicate which view is acceptable in the sight of God, exalted be His mention.”

2.33 Yet another question: “According to the teachings of the Mahábád and Hindu religions, should a person of whatever faith or nation, of whatever colour, appearance, character or condition, be disposed to associate with you, ye should show forth kindness and treat him as a brother. But in other religions this is not so: their followers ill-treat and oppress the adherents of other faiths, consider their persecution as an act of worship, and regard their kindred and their possessions as lawful unto themselves. Which approach is acceptable in the sight of God?”

2.44 Another of his questions: “In the Mahábád and Zoroastrian religions it is said: ‘Our faith and religion is superior to every other. The other Prophets and the religions they have institute are true, but they occupy different stations before God, even as, in the court of a king, there is a gradation of ranks from the prime minister to the common soldier. Whosoever wisheth, let him keep the precepts of his religion.’ Nor do they impose upon any soul. The Hindus claim that whosoever partaketh of meat, for whatever reason or under whatever circumstances, shall never catch a glimpse of Paradise. The followers of Muhammad, Jesus and Moses maintain that a similar fate awaiteth those who fail to bear allegiance to their religions. Which belief is favoured by God, glorified be His mention?”

2.47 A further question that he hath asked: “The Hindus assert that God fashioned the Intellect in the form of a man named Brahma, Who came into this world and was the cause of its progress and development, and that all Hindus are His descendants. The followers of Zoroaster say: ‘God, through the agency of the
Primal Intellect, created a man whose name is Mahábád and who is our ancestor.’ They believe the modes of creation to be six in number. Two were mentioned above; the others are creation from water, earth, fire, and from bears and monkeys. The Hindus and Zoroastrians both say that they are begotten of the Intellect, and thus do not admit others into their folds. Are these assertions true or not? That wise Master is requested to indicate that which he deemeth appropriate.”

iqtTcgUSh

Manikchi's references to Mahabad

Postby iqtTcgUSh » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:15 am

You will have noticed that Baha'u'llah, throughout His Tablet to Mirza Abu'l-Fadl, constantly has to correct Manikchi's misunderstanding of various things (for example, Manikchi's notion that Christians are not zealous in promulgating their faith). I would therefore be cautious about taking Manikchi's reference to 28 prophets of the Mahabad religion at face value.

There was no note in The Tabernacle of Unity because there is so very little information about the Prophet Mahabad and the Mahabadi beliefs. I plan to ask a knowledgeable Zoroastrian friend about this to see if he has any clarification, but I get the sense that this is a minor and probably recent (last few centuries) popular notion that has very little to do with traditional orthodox Zoroastrianism.

Baha'i Warrior

Re: Manikchi's references to Mahabad

Postby Baha'i Warrior » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:59 am

wpc09 wrote:You will have noticed that Baha'u'llah, throughout His Tablet to Mirza Abu'l-Fadl, constantly has to correct Manikchi's misunderstanding of various things (for example, Manikchi's notion that Christians are not zealous in promulgating their faith). I would therefore be cautious about taking Manikchi's reference to 28 prophets of the Mahabad religion at face value.

Good point.

Return to “Discussion”