Was Adam being the first man on earth only spiritually true.

All research or scholarship questions
Zazaban

Was Adam being the first man on earth only spiritually true.

Postby Zazaban » Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:52 pm

Well, Adam is said to both be the first man 5,000 years ago AND the creation existing 1 million years ago. this made me think: what if Adam was the first man on earth only the the sence that he started the Adamic cycle? It was said in the Qur'an that at judgement day god would create a new earth after destroying the old, so in a sence The Bab could be called the first man on earth for starting the Babi cycle!
Justice and equity are twin Guardians that watch over men. From them are revealed such blessed and perspicuous words as are the cause of the well-being of the world and the protection of the nations.
~ Bahá'u'lláh

Dorumerosaer

Postby Dorumerosaer » Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:57 pm

I agree, that sometimes in the Baha'i Writings Adam is spoken of as the first man (Gleanings p. 172); and sometimes as the first Prophet (Iqan p. 149).

Here's how I put it together. What is the definition of a "man"? To me, a man is a being capable of knowing God. So the first being to know God, was the first man.

And according to the Baha'i teachings, how does a man know God? Only through the Manifestation. No one could know God, until the first Prophet came to earth. So to me, they are one and the same being; as you describe the Bab as being the First.

The 6000 year Adamic Cycle has to do with the oral and recorded history on earth, of the most distant known Prophet, whom we call Adam. But there were surely people, and Prophets, before then.

"And now regarding thy question, "How is it that no records are to be found concerning the Prophets that have preceded Adam, the Father of Mankind, or of the kings that lived in the days of those Prophets?" Know thou that the absence of any reference to them is no proof that they did not actually exist. That no records concerning them are now available, should be attributed to their extreme remoteness, as well as to the vast changes which the earth hath undergone since their time." (Gleanings, p. 172)

As Baha'u'llah often said, when people asked Him to reconcile differences between religious traditions: "Please God thou wilt turn thine eyes towards the Most Great Revelation, and entirely disregard these conflicting tales and traditions." (Gleanings, p. 174; also Tabernacle of Unity, paragraphs 2.19 and 2.25)

Brent

Baha'i Warrior

Postby Baha'i Warrior » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:30 am

Great post and response, Brent. I don't know if there were any "major" Prophets preceding Adam, maybe most of them were "minor" Prophets. Maybe the "Father of Mankind" was the first major prophet (?). Also there were many minor Prophets after Adam that are not very well-known.

Return to “Discussion”