Is Bahai Faith ofshoot of shiism!?

All research or scholarship questions
MyBestCreditOffers

Is Bahai Faith ofshoot of shiism!?

Postby MyBestCreditOffers » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:44 am

I need to know some writing for my friend.
Thank you

Dorumerosaer

Postby Dorumerosaer » Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:26 am

You have asked if the Baha'i Faith is an offshoot of Shiih Islam.

The Baha'i Faith teaches that Muhammad was a true Prophet of God, and that the Qur'an is a divinely-revealed Book. It also teaches that the 12 Imams of Shiih Islam were divinely-guided and possessed `ismat, moral immaculacy and infallibility.

Many of the early followers of the Babi and later the Baha'i Faiths were from Shiih background.

However, the Baha'i Faith is not an offshoot of Shiih Islam; if it was, the Baha'is would still view the Revelation of Muhammad to be the most recent given to humanity. But Baha'is believe that a new Prophet, Baha'u'llah, has come, and has brough a new Revelation. Though we believe that the Qur'an was divinely revealed, it is not our Book. Though we believe that the Prophet Muhammad was a divine Prophet, He is not our Prophet. Though we believe that the laws brought by the Prophet Muhammad were divinely revealed, we do not observe them. We do not worship in mosques / masjids, and we do not have mullas.

An Egyptian religious court considered this matter, and determined that the Baha'i Faith is an independent religion. It stated in part:

"The Bahá'í Faith is a new religion, entirely independent, with beliefs, principles and laws of its own, which differ from, and are utterly in conflict with, the beliefs, principles and laws of Islam. No Bahá'í, therefore, can be regarded a Muslim or vice-versa, even as no Buddhist, Brahmin, or Christian can be regarded a Muslim or vice-versa."

This is discussed in the book "God Passes By" found here:
http://reference.bahai.org/en/t/se/GPB/gpb-25.html

It also includes this statement that the Baha'i Faith is not an offshoot of Islam:

"This declaration of portentous significance, which was supported by incontrovertible proofs adduced by the avowed enemies of the Faith of Bahá'u'lláh themselves, which was made in a country that aspires to the headship of Islam through the restoration of the Caliphate, and which has received the sanction of the highest ecclesiastical authorities in that country, this official testimony which the leaders of Shí'ah Islam, in both Persia and Iraq, have, through a century, sedulously avoided voicing, and which, once and for all, silences those detractors, including Christian ecclesiastics in the West, who have in the past stigmatized that Faith as a cult, as a Bábí sect and as an offshoot of Islam or represented it as a synthesis of religions -- such a declaration was acclaimed by all Bahá'í communities in the East and in the West as the first Charter of the emancipation of the Cause of Bahá'u'lláh from the fetters of Islamic orthodoxy, the first historic step taken, not by its adherents as might have been expected, but by its adversaries on the road leading to its ultimate and world-wide recognition."
(Shoghi Effendi, God Passes By, p. 366)

"As to Muhammad, the Apostle of God, let none among His followers who read these pages, think for a moment that either Islam, or its Prophet, or His Book, or His appointed Successors, or any of His authentic teachings, have been, or are to be in any way, or to however slight a degree, disparaged. The lineage of the Báb, the descendant of the Imam Husayn; the divers and striking evidences, in Nabil's Narrative, of the attitude of the Herald of our Faith towards the Founder, the Imams, and the Book of Islam; the glowing tributes paid by Bahá'u'lláh in the Kitáb-i-Íqán to Muhammad and His lawful Successors, and particularly to the "peerless and incomparable" Imam Husayn; the arguments adduced, forcibly, fearlessly, and publicly by 'Abdu'l-Bahá, in churches and synagogues, to demonstrate the validity of the Message of the Arabian Prophet; and last but not least the written testimonial of the Queen of Rumania, who, born in the Anglican faith and notwithstanding the close alliance of her government with the Greek Orthodox Church, the state religion of her adopted country, has, largely as a result of the perusal of these public discourses of 'Abdu'l-Bahá, been prompted to proclaim her recognition of the prophetic function of Muhammad -- all proclaim, in no uncertain terms, the true attitude of the Bahá'í Faith towards its parent religion.

"God," is her royal tribute, "is All, everything. He is the power behind all beginnings.... His is the Voice within us that shows us good and evil. But mostly we ignore or misunderstand this voice. Therefore, did He choose His Elect to come down amongst us upon earth to make clear His Word, His real meaning. Therefore, the Prophets; therefore, Christ, Muhammad, Bahá'u'lláh, for man needs from time to time a voice upon earth to bring God to him, to sharpen the realization of the existence of the true God. Those voices sent to us had to become flesh, so that with our earthly ears we should be able to hear and understand."

What greater proof, it may be pertinently asked, can the divines of either Persia or Turkey require wherewith to demonstrate the recognition by the followers of Bahá'u'lláh of the exalted position occupied by the Prophet Muhammad among the entire company of the Messengers of God? What greater service do these divines expect us to render the Cause of Islam? What greater evidence of our competence can they demand than that we should kindle, in quarters so far beyond their reach, the spark of an ardent and sincere conversion to the truth voiced by the Apostle of God, and obtain from the pen of royalty this public, and indeed historic, confession of His God-given Mission?
(Shoghi Effendi, The Promised Day is Come, p. 109)

I am one of the millions of Baha'is who, before our conversion to the Baha'i Faith, rejected the station of Muhammad, and now, as a result of Baha'u'llah's teachings, accept Muhammad as a true Prophet.

But if a person wishes to describe the Baha'i Faith as an offshoot of Shiih Islam, then he must view Christianity as an offshoot of a Jewish sect. But the true position is that both are world religions.

Brent

Zazaban

Postby Zazaban » Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:31 am

I'm suprised you expect a good responce to this question :?
Justice and equity are twin Guardians that watch over men. From them are revealed such blessed and perspicuous words as are the cause of the well-being of the world and the protection of the nations.
~ Bahá'u'lláh

Return to “Discussion”