120 sites chosen for Temples

All research or scholarship questions
Zazaban

120 sites chosen for Temples

Postby Zazaban » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:42 pm

I wonder if anyone knows where any of them are beyond Haifa, Tehran and Chile. And does anyone have a picture of the design for the Haifa temple?
Justice and equity are twin Guardians that watch over men. From them are revealed such blessed and perspicuous words as are the cause of the well-being of the world and the protection of the nations.
~ Bahá'u'lláh

Dorumerosaer

Postby Dorumerosaer » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:53 am

Shoghi Effendi began the process of having National Spiritual Assemblies purchase plots of land for Baha'i Houses of Worship, back in the 1950s. So if you look at the 10 year Crusade messages (perhaps the words "temple" and "land" in Ocean?) you will find some of these references. Also the Universal House of Justice has sometimes assigned a National Spiritual Assembly from a larger country to purchase the temple land for a smaller Baha'i community. So, for example, the US National Assembly purchased at least one of the temple sites in one of the small Baha'i communities in the Caribbean. The Guardian stated that even if the land was not actually used for this purpose, it could be traded for more suitable land at a future time. This was done, for example, in the case of the Panama Temple, where land that had been purchased at the direction of Shoghi Effendi, was traded for nearby land on which the Temple was actually built. Such sites are all over the world.

"As regards the question you asked him about the site for the Temple, this need not be a large piece of land at this time -- three or four acres would be sufficient for the site if you find suitable land is expensive. If the worst comes to the worst, when the time comes to build the Temple, the site can be changed. In Uganda some years ago, they purchased a Temple site, and later, a large piece of land for their endowment. With the Guardian's permission, they exchanged the two as the Endowment's position was better for the Temple. So you see, it need not be too rigid. The point is to get a Temple site as soon as possible. He feels it should be in the outskirts of Auckland, within easy motoring distance, so that the friends can attend services there. Naturally the closer to the city, the better." (Arohanui - Letters from Shoghi Effendi to New Zealand, p. 73)

I do not know of a site on the internet for the temple to be built in Haifa. It can be found in one or more volumes of The Baha'i World, which to my knowledge has not yet been digitized.

Pilgrimbrent

Zazaban

Postby Zazaban » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:52 pm

I'm actually not yet a Baha'i. So I haven't read that. Is it on this website?
Justice and equity are twin Guardians that watch over men. From them are revealed such blessed and perspicuous words as are the cause of the well-being of the world and the protection of the nations.

~ Bahá'u'lláh

Jonah
Site Admin

Postby Jonah » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:29 pm

The Baha'i World, which to my knowledge has not yet been digitized.

I'm afraid that's correct. The entirety of Volume 18 and parts of Volume 19 have been typed and emailed to me, but that's about it.

-Jonah

Zazaban

Postby Zazaban » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:45 pm

Jonah wrote:The entirety of Volume 18 and parts of Volume 19

I mean the ten year crusade messages...

~ Bahá'u'lláh

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:57 pm

Hello Zazaban and all,

Digitizing the BW volumes (I presume pictures as well as the words) is also on the ambitious to-do list of the BWC Proofreading team...When they have the time and support/resources to get to it is another matter...

As far as a list of purchased lots (as of 1963 at least), see http://bahai-library.com/?file=handscau ... apter=1#36

take care,
Brett

Zazaban

Postby Zazaban » Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:24 pm

brettz9 wrote:Digitizing the BW volumes (I presume pictures as well as the words) is also on the ambitious to-do list of the BWC Proofreading team...When they have the time and support/resources to get to it is another matter...

As far as a list of purchased lots (as of 1963 at least), see http://bahai-library.com/?file=handscau ... apter=1#36

Thanks a lot. next for all 120 :D

~ Bahá'u'lláh

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:24 am

Sometimes the process of looking (unless you need it quickly for some reason) can get a person to learn even more out of the process...If you end up finding more, feel free to submit the list (especially if you can get citations)...

Irish

Postby Irish » Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:28 am

Hi Zazaban,

the Ten Year crusade messages are in a book called "Messages to Baha'i World; 1950-1957". The message to America during the ten year crusade are in "Citadel of Faith". Both books written by Shoghi Effendi himself, not a secretary. I havent' checked but I'm almost sure these are on this site. If not, you will find them at http://www.reference.bahai.org

Zazaban

Postby Zazaban » Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:27 pm

I just wanted to ask, but when is the Chile Temple expected to be completed?

~ Bahá'u'lláh

Return to “Discussion”