Theses of MacEoin and Rafati

All research or scholarship questions
Irish

Theses of MacEoin and Rafati

Postby Irish » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:33 am

Does anyone know how I should go about getting a copy of the Ph.D theses of Vahid Rafati and Denis MacEoin? They are quoted in almost every scholarly article written on the genesis of the Babi religion, so they must be available to a lot of people. Rafati's is at UCLA and MacEoin's at Cambridge. I've never had to ask a university to know if they could give me a copy of one of the unpublished Ph.Ds, so I just thought I'd ask first, to see if anyone would be kind enough to explain the procedure.

Jonah
Site Admin

Postby Jonah » Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:27 pm

I only know of two ways to get them, but neither is guaranteed:

1) go to the archives office at USBNC in Wilmette and photocopy it (I don't know what the specific procedures are these days), or

2) go to University Microfilms and check their various search options, http://il.proquest.com/products_umi/dis ... ding.shtml . I plugged these names into their search feature and it didn't show any results, but it looks like you'd have to try each of the search options listed at http://il.proquest.com/products_umi/dis ... ding.shtml , which I didn't do.

Let us know what you find out! I'm curious if they're available, too. Denis MacEoin has given me permission to post his dissertation, but that would require finding someone to type it, he doesn't have a digital copy. I think I have a copy of both of these buried in storage, I could dig them out for anyone volunteering to type them.

-Jonah

Irish

Postby Irish » Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:17 am

Dear Jonah,

Thanks for the advice. If I can get my hands on a copy of them, I'll try to type up the abstract, the introduction and maybe the first chapter of each. I would be good to have just those on the web for a start.

By the way, the website is awesome. I am really grateful for being able to read Todd Lawson's thesis on the Qur'an commentary of the Bab. It was a life-changing experience! Keep up the good work.

Return to “Discussion”