Thoughts for teachers and believers

All research or scholarship questions
Baha'i Warrior

Postby Baha'i Warrior » Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:38 pm

Nice post. A lot of Baha'i principles can be found that discourse. For example, the quote "Behold, I stand at the door and knock, and if any man will open, I will come in" reminded me of a Hidden Word by Baha'u'llah comparing the heart (house, door, etc.) to a place where He takes refuge if one opens the door of his heart to Him: "Ye have suffered My enemy to enter My house and have cast out My friend, for ye have enshrined the love of another than Me in your hearts."

I also think that pretty much all the other principles here can be found in the Baha'i Writings. These are eternal spiritual truths.

Thanks again for the post, and I hope it leads to a fruitful discussion.

Baha'i Warrior

Postby Baha'i Warrior » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:59 am

Dear Richard:

You said:

richard wrote:You concluded with:

"Thanks again for the post, and I hope it leads to a fruitful discussion."

Thank you, BW, I hope so too, but i think many of us have gone through the religious problem of excesses in egotistical intellectualism and theological dogma before we become interested in, and live by, God's infinitely more important spiritual truths... :( richard

I am wondering if you are referring to humans in general, and/or more specifically addressing those individuals on this message board? "Egotistical intellectualism" is evidently not what God wants us to engage in, and in fact the Baha'i teachings tells us to prefer our brothers and sisters over ourselves; we shouldn't, in other words, be self-centered or egocentric, especially when trying to teach others Baha'u'llah's spiritual Truths. Moreover, Baha'u'llah Himself commands: "Prefer not your own will to Mine." His will encompasses many things, one of which—again—is not to prefer yourself over others. More generally, we shouldn't favor ourselves over God—and for Baha'is, Baha'u'llah's will for us (because He is the Channel or Mediator through which God communicates to man).

What would you exactly mean by "theological dogma" in relation to the posts/activity on this message board? (I am guessing this thread that you created was inspired by the activity on the forum.) If by any chance you were referring ("theological dogma") to the Baha'i practice of using proofs to teach the Cause (since you mentioned this thread in another one where Baha'i proofs were being discussed): As Baha'is, we have a duty to teach others about the truth of Baha'u'llah's claim, and, taking into account their religion's teachings, use proofs to show them that Baha'u'llah is indeed the Messenger of God Whom they have been waiting for. And, with a conscience, we cannot possible deny this gift (the Baha'i teachings) to others. We present them with the gift, and they are free to accept or decline. Just as in this life, you can accept or decline gold. But we should never force upon others our beliefs, and if that was what you were referring to, then you are more than correct. And even as Baha'is we should make sure that we are never doing this, as none of us are anywhere near perfect or "ideal" Baha'is (at least I'm not).

Interested to see what you think, dear sir :).

Respectfully,

BW

FruccalFrilia

Postby FruccalFrilia » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:54 pm

O SON OF DUST!
Verily I say unto thee: Of all men the most negligent is he that disputeth idly and seeketh to advance himself over his brother. Say, O brethren! Let deeds, not words, be your adorning.

O SON OF SPIRIT!
My first counsel is this: Possess a pure, kindly and radiant heart, that thine may be a sovereignty ancient, imperishable and everlasting.

-Hidden Words
by Bahá'u'lláh

Return to “Discussion”