Star of the West

All research or scholarship questions
brettz9

Star of the West

Postby brettz9 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:18 pm

Greetings all,

Just dropping in to post the first issue of the first volume of Star of the West for your reading enjoyment... :)

If, God willing, one can put in a little time each day (while doing our daily Baha'i readings anyways), we can help to put online this great (if not always authentic) volume containing many texts, quotations, and early history of the Faith. If others are inspired to join in, we can have this one remaining non-freely available large volume containing English-translated Writings made available for free on the Net in a fairly short period of time. The volumes were already scanned and converted roughly into text for those who have access to the "Sifter" program, so most of the work is just cutting-and-pasting and then doing some proofreading.

I am following specific formatting standards that I have chosen, and if anyone else wants to help, I'd strongly suggest using the same standard so that we can convert the text all at once into the proper formatting (whether for HTML, database entry, or whatever).

Anyways, here is the first issue of the first volume (with perhaps a few strange formatting markings which I can explain later if anyone is curious):

(To cut down the size of this thread, I'm moving the issues when a volume is completed. See http://bahai-library.com/index.php5?fil ... _star_west )

brettz9

Volume I, No. 2

Postby brettz9 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:08 am

brettz9

Find-and-replace key

Postby brettz9 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:20 pm

Here are some of the conventions I used...These will need to be find-and-replaced once the text is done. Note that find-and-replaces will need to be performed with the largest and larger segments first (e.g., replace all "{{{" before replacing all "{{").

--PHOTO-- for photo
Also search for stray 0's just in case (as "0 ye" (the number) instead of "O ye")
Search for "Abdul Baha" and "maid servants" without the hyphen
4 spaces: indent as part of opening
two spaces is center that line
one space - row of a table
Delete tab-spaces
two tabs is a closing
Tab at beginning of line is paragraph indent
tab in middle of line is a separating table cell
{{{...}}} is an italicized opening
{{...}} is regular italics (not done yet for vol. 1, no. 1 and maybe begining of no. 2)
---- is a section division
--- is footnote separator
-- is a dash
3 tabs for translated by
<<...>> is the (automated) pagination info
BAHAI NEWS is always at the top
replace """ with “ and +++ with ”
replace ''' with ‘ and \\\ with ’

brettz9

Volume 1, no. 3

Postby brettz9 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:01 pm

brettz9

Vol. 1, No. 4

Postby brettz9 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:31 pm

Sen McGlinn

Star of the West already done?

Postby Sen McGlinn » Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:07 am

I did many of the tablets in SoW volumes 1 2 and 3 in plain, proofread electronic text many years ago. I think it is on Bahai Library, if not mail me at
sen.sonja [@] casema.NL

Since then I have been doing tablets and talks of Abdu'l-Baha from Star of the West incidentally, just whenever I needed a good text of one. I have these in one file, with an index

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:11 pm

We have this compilation covering apparently volume 1 and part of volume 2: http://bahai-library.com/index.php5?fil ... _star_west

Feel free to edit that submission above if you like to update it.

Since I am going through the books completely, and since the OCR'd text is easy enough to copy and look over, it is really easier for me, I think, to just stick with reviewing and pasting the OCR'd text and do them without cutting-and-pasting between existing excerpts that are out there. However, it is of course handy to have a reference of just those portions which are Tablets of 'Abdu'l-Baha such as you have begun.

best wishes,
Brett

British_Bahai

Postby British_Bahai » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:11 am

brettz9 wrote:We have this compilation covering apparently volume 1 and part of volume 2: http://bahai-library.com/index.php5?fil ... _star_west

Before anyone can edit Bahai texts online, they must first give their Bahai ID number to Jonah (the site Admin), to confirm whether he is a genuine Bahai and not here to cause trouble.

If they are a genuinely registered Bahai, they will not mind doing so.

This is all for the sake of security.

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:18 am

British_bahai,

Jonah has not limited who can upload texts here, although he reviews the submissions before posting them. If someone has uploaded a text themselves, they have access to editing it themselves.

Except for a few helpers, no one has access to edit the main Baha'i Writings files (and of course, we'd only do that to make corrections, improve formatting, etc.). But a compilation, etc., especially a personal one, is a different matter.

best wishes and thanks for your concern,
Brett

Sen McGlinn

Postby Sen McGlinn » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:12 am

We have this compilation covering apparently volume 1 and part of volume 2: http://bahai-library.com/index.php5?fil ... _star_west

Yes, that is the collection of tablets I made, and I have more of the same, but someone else has done the work of laying it out and making an index with links. I don't have the skills to do that myself, and if I try to add more tablets to the list I may well make a mess of it.

If you or anyone else would like to continue the work by selecting the tablets and talks of Abdu'l-Baha, from bretz9's work, and putting them in the compilation I started, please feel free to do so. There is an added value in having the Abdu'l-Baha texts in one place, without all the other materials that are in SoW.

Way back then, OCR was a very inexact business, and it was a time-consuming process. You may well be right that it is now easier for you to do the whole text, without looking for the pieces I have already done.

brettz9

Vol. 1, No. 5

Postby brettz9 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:05 am

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:11 am

By the way, all submissions here have been (and should be) for one complete issue at a time, unless otherwise noted.

Also, while it does not show in this forum, within the database, I have distinctive spacing marking off paragraphs, etc., so if anyone were to wish to utilize the work submitted here, with a little work, we could offer you the contents directly from the database so that all distinctive marking could be easily found for someone wishing to prepare their own version of this work (though I hope to do so myself when it is all completed--maybe one volume at a time).

best wishes,
Brett

brettz9

Vol. I, no. 6

Postby brettz9 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:15 pm

brettz9

Vol. I, no. 7

Postby brettz9 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:14 am

brettz9

Vol. I, no. 8

Postby brettz9 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:22 pm

brettz9

Vol. I, no. 9

Postby brettz9 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:41 am

brettz9

Vol. I, No. 10

Postby brettz9 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:11 pm

brettz9

Vol. 1, no. 11

Postby brettz9 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:36 am

brettz9

Vol. I, no. 12

Postby brettz9 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:39 am

brettz9

Vol. 1, no. 13

Postby brettz9 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:34 am

brettz9

Vol. 1, no. 14

Postby brettz9 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:34 am

brettz9

Vol. 1, No. 15

Postby brettz9 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:46 pm

brettz9

Vol 1, No. 16

Postby brettz9 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:47 pm

brettz9

Vol 1, No. 17

Postby brettz9 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:04 am

brettz9

Vol 1, No. 18

Postby brettz9 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:14 am

brettz9

Vol 1, No. 19 and finished...

Postby brettz9 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:16 pm

Hi all,

Just letting you know that I have posted a version (not yet reviewed by Jonah, so it has not yet made it into the main categorization pages yet) of the complete volume 1 of Star of the West (not including the Persian text).

http://bahai-library.com/file.php5?file ... tar_west_1

Please let me know what was your feeling about my having posted the articles in the forums here as I was working on them (since I might do it again in the future if there is interest). It is enjoyable for me to share them as I finish an issue (if there are people reading it here), but if it is a trouble for regular users (who may feel the need to just mark the thread as read so it doesn't show up as unread amongst their other unread threads), I am open to waiting until a complete volume is finished.

take care,
Brett

p.s. As I think the other volumes have larger page sizes and thus more content, and as I otherwise might not be able to keep going at this pace to finish it all on my own in a fairly short time, volunteers to help proofread the other volumes are most welcome!

brettz9

Vol 2, No. 1

Postby brettz9 » Mon May 28, 2007 8:09 am

Here's the first issue of volume 2.

By the way, I've added new conventions, <colbreak>, <tablebreak>, and <photobreak>, and abandoned using <<>> around the page breaks.

Brett

--------------------------------------------------------------------

VOL. II. MARCH 21, 1911. NO.1.

Diagram showing location and dimensions of the land of the Mashrak-el-Azkar in Chicago, Ill., U. S. A. 2
The Message--By Mirza Assadollah 3
Persian-American Educational Society 4
News from the Occident 7
Photograph of the Oakland (Cal.) Assembly 9
New Year's Greeting from Abdu'l Baha. 10
The Mashrak-el-Azkar in America 11
Assemblies in the Occident 13
Persian Section 14-20

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 1, p. 1

STAR OF THE WEST

--DIAGRAM--

The above diagram shows the location and dimensions of the land of the Mashrak-el-Azkar. It was made for the Bahai Temple Unity by a draftsman of the Drainage Board of the Sanitary District. What we believe to be of considerable advantage for our purpose has been gained by the swinging of Greenleaf Avenue eighty feet to the north of its original route. This was accomplished by our giving up a tract of ground off the south boundary of the triangle, which lies north of Sheridan Road, for the use of the street. By this exchange with the village of Wilmette and by the closing of the fourteen foot alley way running east and west through the ground, the bulk of our land lies in one beautiful piece, having an area so large that a circle with a diameter of nearly 500 feet can be inscribed within it. At once the architects will see how beautifully this will lend itself to the nine-sided structure with its nine avenues and fountains, as desired by Abdul-Baha. To Mr. Charles Mason Remey and Mr. Howard C. Struven, when visiting Acca in 1910, Abdul-Baha said: “The Mashrak-el-Azkar must have nine sides, doors, fountains, paths, gateways, columns and gardens, with the ground floor galleries and domes, and in construction and design must be beautiful”--{{Corinne True}}.

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 1, p. 2

STAR OF THE WEST
Vol. II Chicago (March 21, 1911) Baha' No. 1

THE MESSAGE.*

BY MIRZA ASSAD'U'LLAH.

{{In the Name of our Lord, BAHA'O'LLAH!}}

{{God is the One who inspireth the hearts of His servants with that which He willeth!}}

{{HE IS GOD!}}

{{I testify with my being and identity that verily He is God. There is no God but Him. He hath ever been God, and will be forever more the One, the Self-subsistent, the Eternal.}}

{{And I testify that verily the Blessed Perfection, His Holiness, BAHA'O'LLAH, is no other than the Most Great Manifestation--magnified is His Grandeur and Glory!--who was promised in all the Holy Scriptures, and that the most great Mystery of God, the Branch. extended from the Ancient Root, who hath decorated his head with the crown of Servitude and named himself Abdul-Baha (the Servant of Baha), is the Successor of the Blessed Perfection, the Center of His Covenant, and the Aim of His Testament.}}

{{And I testify that the hands of the Cause of God, bearers of His Ordinances to the servants and preachers of His Manifestation in the countries, are the saints of God and His chosen ones. By them the standard of the Cause of God is raised and His Signs are promulgated among the creatures. They are the lamps of God for all in the heaven and upon earth. Upon them be the Glory of God, His Praise and His Mercy!}}

O ye, our brothers, who believe in God and in the Books of all His religions! Know that all of us are unanimously believing in the Ancient Entity, the Eternal God; that He is the Creator of all things; that, verily, He hath ever been and will continue to be forever.

We also believe that the Prophets and the Manifestations of God were all bearers of the Message of God, and that the Holy Scriptures are His books. Accordingly, our belief and religion is that all the Prophets are of necessity as one light, one reality and as the rays of one sun, even though they may appear to be different each from the other and each as a different person talking in a different tongue. Therefore, all their laws and books must needs be as One Law and One Book, even though some of the ordinances be, in form, contradictory to others; because all of them have spoken on the part of God, the One, the Unit, and all the Ordinances and Laws are also revealed on His part. This assertion is in no need of further rational proof.

Now we submit that there are in the Holy Scriptures references concerning the most great Manifestation, and other predictions and signs regarding the end of the days. These prophecies are recorded in various texts, both chronological and symbolical. All the nations have awaited the appearance of such signs, and the coming Manifestation of their Promised One, with earnest
---
* First of a series of prestations of “The Message.”

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 1, p. 3

STAR OF THE WEST

expectation. Yet, to the present day, the Sun of their hopes has not appeared to them from the horizon of their expectation.

As to the honorable and faithful Baha'is, they believe that, verily, the promises and prophecies given in the Holy Scriptures have become fulfilled during the nineteenth century after Christ by the appearance of the Prince of the Universe--the most great BAHA'O'LLAH, exalted is His Glory! This claim, held by them, is the best tidings to the expectant ones and a great joy to the seekers. But only those can approve it who are endowed with a pure heart and fortified with the confirmation of God, and who hearken with sincerity to perfect proofs, to decisive and satisfactory arguments.

The Bahai people is ready with all power and strength to prove its claim and to unfold the truth of its religion, not through material force, but by spiritual power; not through the strength of this world, but by that of the Kingdom. The Bahais wage war with all the armies of the nations of the world, not with swords and weapons, but through the power of Utterance and the unfoldment of the mysteries and meanings of the Divine Words. They subdue the cities of hearts, not with assaults of armies of men, but rather by indisputable proofs, by love, compassion and affection. Their sword is the Word of God; their hosts the divine Inspiration; their ranks, submissiveness, humbleness, meekness, unselfishness and pure servitude in the presence of every soul, of whatsoever religious nation and toward every being in existence.

Their religion is to serve the people in the world; their principle is obedience to government; their teaching is summoning people unto God, the True One; their rewards and recompense come only from God; they freely offer to people the Bread of Life and freely give them the Water of Life. Let him who hungers and thirsts partake freely of their Table. Verily the doors of heaven are opened by the keys of the Knowledge of His Holiness, BAHA'O'LLAH, the paradise of Enlightenment is decorated, the rivers of Inner Significances are flowing, the birds of Sacred Mysteries are soaring around, and the Spiritual Foods are prepared. Blessed are they who eat! Blessed are they who drink!

----

PERSIAN-AMERICAN EDUCATIONAL SOCIETY.

{{O Thou Almighty! Illumine Thou this Association and make Thou this gathering the bright candle of the world! For their intention is for the public good and their aim is Service to humankind.

O Kind and Compassionate God! Such a Society merits Thy Favors and such a Body deserves inexhaustible Bounty and Providence.
Verily, Thou art Powerful, Mighty and Omnipotent, and verily, Thou art the Peerless and Incomparable God!}}

{{Prayer Revealed by ABDUL-BAHA April 3, 1910, for the P. A. E. S.}}

The following is a resume of the work of the Society, since its inception, in the early part of 1910:

Seven hundred dollars in cash has been sent to Teheran; the number of scholarships enrolled is 63; associate members, 19.

The Librarian has forwarded or arranged for the sending of considerable valuable material to the Tarbiat School in Teheran. During the past two months boxes of books have been received and forwarded to the Teheran Library from Mrs. L. E. Ruddiman, of Gobleville, Mich.; Mr. Frank D. Clark, of Buffalo, N. Y.; Mr. Nelson, of Racine, Wis., and Mrs. Helen S. Goodall, of San Francisco, respectively, the latter containing magazines. In addition to this, nearly $30.00 in stamps has been furnished by the Society to provide for sending packages by mail. Mrs. Goodall has agreed to pay the postage from here to Persia on all her packages. Our thanks are tendered to these generous contributors,

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 1, p. 4

STAR OF THE WEST

as well as to all who have aided in carrying on the work in numberless ways and countless instances. Really, the generosity developed by this undertaking is marvelous, even in a Cause which is marked by consistent altruism.

As it seemed important to secure catalogues of agricultural, mining, telephone and railway machinery and supplies, etc., the Society has been fortunate enough to obtain the insertion of a notice in the {{Daily Consular and Trade Reports}} of the Bureau of Manufactures. This has been followed by the receipt of many letters from all over the United States, from various factories. Catalogues to the number of 150 have been sent, covering a wide field of manufactures. These catalogues, received almost daily, are forwarded to Teheran at the close of each week. It is proposed to open an office in Teheran, display these catalogues, invite the public, and have an interpreter on hand to explain to visitors the usefulness of the machinery described. Beside this, the addresses of the friends in ten cities have been supplied to the various factories, so that they may send their catalogues direct to the friends in Persia, and we have received replies from these factories advising us that they have forwarded the literature.

The matter of telephone installation in Esphahan and photographic supplies for Tabriz has been taken up, and we have forwarded to each of these cities catalogues and general information along these specific lines, and hope good results will be accomplished.
Through these means the attention of the people of Persia is being directed, in a practical way, to the products of America, and through this means commercial intercourse will be established, to the advantage of both the East and the West.

From the Department of Agriculture, the Department of the Interior, the Commissioner of Education and the Marine Hospital Service, we receive regularly all bulletins issued from these various departments and mail them at the end of every week to Teheran. It is suggested that a Board of Translators be formed in Teheran, to translate and circulate these splendid bulletins among the public, for the diffusion of culture and the spread of knowledge.

It is also suggested that all the Bahai schools in the different parts of Persia be merged into one administration and one name, “Tarbiat,” and a complete and thorough system of preliminary education be evolved by the Educational Committee in Teheran with the co-operation of the Society here for all these schools.

Through the active co-operation of Mrs. Herman, of Philadelphia, we are in communication with the Director of the Commercial Museum of Philadelphia, and after advising him of our various needs he has inserted our name in the weekly bulletin of that institution, and this, going all over the country to manufacturers, has produced very gratifying results.

The appointment of five Americans as Financial Advisers to the Persian Government, recently arranged through the State Department, will, no doubt, stimulate our work. These advisers sail for Persia during the current month, and this official recognition of American prestige will naturally be followed by a public desire to know more about our country, which this Society will be able to gratify.

Our hearty thanks are due to the Assistant Librarian, Miss Margaret Green, who is working for the Society most effectively and unselfishly.

The increasing expense of postage, while nearly all the funds received have been for scholarships, makes it necessary that additional cash be made available, and contributions for the postage expenses will be welcomed from our sympathetic friends.
The following new scholarships have been subscribed since the last report, viz:
No. 57. Pasadena Bahai Assembly, Pasadena, Cal.
No. 58. N. R. Vakil and Mr. Hashtmatullah, Bombay, India.
No. 59. Mr. Mountfort Mills, New York City.
No. 60. Mrs. Harriet M. Cline, Los Angeles, Cal.
No. 61. Mr. and Mrs. Killius, Spokane, Wash.
No. 62. Mr. Frank D. Clark, Buffalo, N. Y.
No. 63. Mrs. Frank D. Clark, Buffalo, N. Y.
Schoarships renewed for the second year as follows:
No. 2. Madame Vera de Blumenthal, Russia.
No. 4. Mrs. J. C. de Lagnel, Washington, D. C.
No. 5 Prof. Arthur D. Mayo, Washington, D. C.
No. 7. Miss Flora Raymond, Washington, D. C.
No. 10. Mrs. Claudia S. Coles and Mr. Louis G. Gregory, Washington, D. C.
No. 12. Jos. S. Sauss, Cincinnati, O.
No. 13. Mr. and Mrs. Goodale, Kenosha, Wis.
No. 16. Mr. B. R. Taylor, Cincinnati, O.
No. 17. Mrs. J. F. Roberts, Brockville, Ontario, Canada.
No. 33. Mrs. Agnes S. Parsons, Washington, D. C.
No. 35. Mrs. Helen S. Goodall, San Francisco, Cal.

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 1, p. 5

STAR OF THE WEST

The following Tablet has been received from Abdul-Baha in regard to the important matter of sending two teachers to the School of Tarbiat:

HE IS GOD!
{{{O Thou Servant of the Blessed Perfection!}}}

They have written from Teheran that there is need of a scientific teacher for the School of Tarbiat. He must be efficient in science as well as the English language; for at present there is no man in the School of Tarbiat who is a scientist or linguist. They are in need of both, science and the English language.

Therefore, consult with the believers of God and select one soon, from among the American Bahais, who is efficient in science and arts, and send him to Teheran. He will receive a salary, sufficient to sustain him with the utmost ease while there.

Likewise select a woman teacher who may fill the position of principal as well as teacher, and send her without delay. The woman must have a share of the knowledge of sciences and be proficient in woman's work, such as sewing, housekeeping, hygiene and household economics, etc.

This matter is very necessary, and you must give to it the utmost importance and exert yourselves to bring this about; so that the association of the Interdependence of the West may render this assistance to the East.
Upon thee be Baha-El-Abha!
({{Signed}}) ABDUL-BAHA ABBAS.

Translated by Mirza Ahmad Sohrab, February 23, 1911.

In line with the foregoing, we shall be glad to hear from volunteers who may be able to teach the above branches. Within a month after the publication of this article the choice will be made.
Following the command of Abdul-Baha, the

ORIENT-OCCIDENT UNITY

is being formed, to carry on in a larger way the work of the Persian-American Educational Society. A Central Executive Board has been established, with headquarters at Washington, composed of the following: Charles Mason Remey, Chairman; Arnauld Belmont, Vice-Chairman; Jos. H. Hannen, Secretary; Mirza Ahmad Sohrab, Treasurer; Stanwood Cobb, Edwin C. Reed, Mrs. L. J. Young-Withee, Mrs. C. S. Coles and Mrs. E. C. Dunlop, Assistant Secretary.
A National and an International Executive Board, respectively, have been planned. The following have accepted membership on the former: Mr. Thornton Chase, Los Angeles, Cal.; Mr. Alfred E. Lunt, Boston, Mass.; Mrs. Helen Campbell, Boston, Mass.; Mrs. Agnes Parsons, Washington, D. C.; Mrs. Elizabeth Nourse, Atlantic City, N. J.; Mrs. Louise R. Waite, Chicago, Ill.; Mr. Frank D. Clark, Buffalo, N. Y.; Mr. Bernard M. Jacobsen, Kenosha, Wis.; Mr. Louis G. Gregory, Washington, D. C.
As soon as replies are received from the letters sent to the proposed members of the International Board, its personnel will be announced. We have received a favorable response from Mr. Maxwell, of Montreal, Canada.
The work which these Boards are expected to accomplish has been summarized under nine headings, as follows:
1. A proposed General Conference, either in the late Spring or early Autumn of the current year.
2. The arrangement of a program for this Conference.
3. The invitation of various speakers.
4. The translation of the Constitution into French, Russian, German, Italian, Persian, Arabic, Japanese, Turkish, Hindustani, etc.
5. The adoption of the Constitution at the Conference.
6. Printing literature and conducting a world-wide campaign of education.
7. Selecting suitable General Officers of the Orient-Occident Unity.
8. For the foregoing and other purposes of the Association, Two Thousand Dollars ($2,000) is needed, which should be in the Treasury as soon as possible.
9. General publicity in all legitimate ways.
Abdul-Baha, in a recent Tablet written by his own hand, says: “I have read the Constitution of the Orient-Occident Unity, and enclose herein the original and the translation. Collect the criticisms and suggestions, the ideas and improvements of all the wise and intelligent souls, and after the complete correction and perfecting of the Constitution, organize this movement.”
It is hoped that all who feel they have some new ideas may write to us, so that they may be incorporated in our Constitution, if compatible with the general plans and not already covered. We shall wait one month from the appearance of this article, as everything must be in readiness for the annual meeting of the Society in May. Copies of the proposed Constitution may be obtained upon application to the headquarters of the Orient-Occident Unity, 1800 Belmont Road, Washington, D. C.

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 1, p. 6

STAR OF THE WEST

The following contributions have been received up to this time for the initial expenses of the Orient-Occident Unity:

Mlle. Odette M. d'Astre, Paris, France $4.14
Mrs. Elizabeth Nourse, Atlantic City, N. J. 4.00
Mr. Thornton Chase, Los Angeles, Cal. 4.00
Mrs. Agnes Parsons, Washington, D. C. 50.00
Mrs. J. D. Bosch, Geyserville, Cal. 4.00
Mrs. L. J. Young-Withee, Washington, D. C. 2.00

Another friend has promised a contribution of $50.00. It is earnestly hoped that enough contributions will be received to organize this Universal Association with dignity and simplicity, yet effectively, as it will be realized that much depends upon first impressions, and the nature of the foundation will determine the possible massiveness and lasting qualities of the edifice.

It is in compliance with the wishes of Abdul-Baha that we present these facts to the friends, for he says: “The friends of God must encourage each other to be firm and steadfast, to reason and consult with each other, so that day by day this Society may progress.” Again he says: “The believers of God must give great importance to this Society and arise to perform its fundamental principles and essential duties with heart and soul”--for--“in the future it will become the Association of the union of the realm of men, it will thoroughly combine and harmonize the East and the West and accomplish a great service to humanity.” “This Society must be so organized and in the course of time its policies so well defined, that since the beginning of the world until now, no such Association has ever been founded. This must become the first Society embracing such aims and objects.”

{{Joseph H. Hannen, Secretary}}.
----
NEWS FROM THE OCCIDENT.

GERMANY.

STUTTGART.--Universal success to the {{Star of the West}}. We hope this will be the first universal publication of the world; therefore, we suggest a few pages be added in German and French, then in Russian, Spanish, Danish, etc., adding a language every year until a universal language becomes manifest and accepted. Should you do this, we believe hundreds of souls will arise with willingness to assist you from all corners of the earth.

A Bahai Home has been established in Stuttgart since the beginning of January. It contains six rooms. Large meetings are held every other day, and we are ready to hold meetings or answer questions every evening. Our largest room is already too small to hold the increased attendance. There are also small meetings in other parts of the city.
{{Edwin Fisher}}.

HAWAII.
HONOLULU.--Our regular weekly spiritual meeting is held Fridays, 2 p. m., at the home of Mrs. Augur.
During the month of January, evening meetings were held at the homes of the believers.
From our Japanese students here, has come the call for translations of Bahai literature into their language. This we feel is very important.<colbreak>
We have had the pleasure of meeting Miss Lane and extending to her some of our Island hospitality. She was on her way to Japan. In response to Abdul-Baha's wishes for teachers to travel to the Orient, we sincerely hope that this assembly may be indeed a half way station where spiritual refreshment may be found.
A very delightful afternoon was recently spent by eleven of the friends, in a visit to the tubercular and non-tubercular patients of Leahi Home. The home is situated in a locality noted for the purity of the air and commands an unsurpassed view of both harbor and mountains. We went in company with the Hawaiian Band, whose selections were thoroughly enjoyed. All the visitors carried either homemade cookies, candy or flowers, and were received most heartily.
{{E. L. T. R.}}

UNITED STATES.
BOSTON, MASS.--During the recent visit to Boston hf Miss Alice Mary Buckton, of London, England, the Bahai teachings were presented to hundreds of eager listeners. God's blessings have been manifest on every hand and in His power alone will be the “increase” to the seeds thus sown.
A question that Abdul-Baha asked Miss Buckton during her stay in Acca is one that might well be asked of every Bahai. He said: “Do you not say in the West

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 1, p. 7

STAR OF THE WEST

that this is the ‘Day of the Comforter?’” To which she replied in the affirmative. He then said: “Are you comforting? Are you doing the work of the Comforter?”

Requests have been made for a Sunday afternoon study class in order that those who are allied with different churches (and therefore find it impossible to attend the eleven o'clock meetings) may have the opportunity of looking more deeply into the teachings of this Revelation.

What a glorious opportunity is today offered to emphasize the points of union among men instead of points of difference, as has been the case in the past! May this indeed be the day in which both men and women lay aside the personal self and come more and more into the consciousness of the universal--that God's Kingdom--not man's--may indeed be established upon earth.

{{Grace Robarts, Cor. Sec'y}}.

BUFFALO N. Y.--Words cannot express the joy we have had in reading the {{Bahai News}}. May the beautiful new name given by the Blessed Servant of God cause the subscription list to be many times increased and we feel assured that the {{Star of the West}} will grow and glow with a universal and everlasting light.

The Assembly sends greetings and praises to the friends. We know naught but unity in our little circle and our one prayer is that we may “see Him face to face.”

{{H. Mills, Sec'y}}.

CHICAGO, ILL.--During the past month Dr Ameen U. Fareed and Mrs. Lua Getsinger spent two weeks with the friends in Chicago, en route to the Pacific coast. They carry with them the love and good wishes of all.

The last Nineteen-Day Feast was held at the home of Mr. and Mrs. James F. Carmichael, and was largely attended, the subject of the evening being, “The Establishment of Unity as a Means of Drawing Abdul-Baha ‘as a Magnet’ to America.”

The regular Nineteen-Day Tea of the Woman's Assembly of Teaching, was held at the home of Mrs. George Lesch. The subject most beautifully brought forth from appropriate readings was “Love.” The monthly report of the officers and chairmen showed a continued zeal in their services.

The following tablet to the Board of Officers, in answer to a supplication written to Abdul-Baha by the Corresponding Secretary, was received:<colbreak>

Through Agha Zia Effendi, son of M. Mostafa, to the maid-servants of God; Mrs. Ida Brush, Mrs. Mary B. Grayson, Mrs. Fannie G. Lesch, Mrs. Elizabeth Greenleaf, Mrs. Grace Foster, Mrs. Christine Loeding, Miss Laura E. Jones, Miss Mary Lesch, Shahnaz Khanum (Mrs. Louise R. Waite).

HE IS GOD!

{{{O ye believers who are attracted to the Center of Lights!}}}

Verily there have been various assemblies in America which were organized many times and out of these but few remained firm.

I supplicate to the Divine Majesty for the establishment of every assembly which hath turned its face towards God, left the scattered desires, abandoned the self and passion and become firm in the Cause of God as solid mountains, which are not agitated by the winds and violent storms.
Then, O ye maid-servants of the Merciful, it is incumbent upon ye to be firm, sincere and highly energetic and in great unity; severed from all save God; effaced and annihilated in the love of God; sacrificing yourselves under all conditions and circumstances; and glorious, so that ye may be filled with the love of El-Baha and that in ye nothing remains except the abundance of El-Baha. Should ye arise for these great gifts, ye may rest assured that the confirmations of the Holy Spirit will follow ye in every time and instant.

Upon ye be El-Baha-el-ABHA!

Translated by Zia M. Bagdadi, Feb. 9, 1911.

The coming convention is a matter of deep interest to all of the Chicago friends and a hearty welcome awaits the delegates and visitors who will honor us by their presence on that important occasion.

{{Louise R. Waite}}.

FRUITPORT, MICH.--The friends are firm and steadfast in the blessed Cause, and are working in harmony and doing all they can to spread the teachings and their mites to the fund for the great Mashrak-el-Azkar.
{{Mrs. John Deremo}}.

NEW YORK, N. Y.--MR. Paul T. G. Marshall, Secretary of the New York Board of Council, after suffering from pleuropneumonia for five days, passed peacefully out from the dim light of this earthly world on Friday, March 3rd, to the bright, glorious light of the Supreme Home. Bahai services were conducted at his late home, 139 Shippen street, Weehawken Heights, New Jersey, Sunday afternoon, March 5th, conducted by Mr. MacNutt and Mr.

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 1, p. 8

STAR OF THR WEST

Hoar. On Monday, March 6th, his remains were taken to Boston, Mass., and there interred, as Mrs. Marshall will shortly move to Boston.

{{James F. Brittingham}}.

OAKLAND, CAL.--At the time the accompanying photograph was taken in October, 1910, the Oakland Assembly numbered over one hundred and twenty members, so this group represents less than half the number. Since then, several have joined the San Francisco Assembly recently organized,

--PHOTO--
PHOTOGRAPH OF THE OAKLAND, CALIFORNIA, ASSEMBLY, TAKEN IN OCTOBER, 1910, AT THE HOME OF MRS. HELEN S. GOODALL, WHERE THE MEETINGS HAVE ALWAYS BEEN HELD.

as they live on that side of the bay. The Oakland Assembly includes, also, Berkeley, Alameda and Fruitvale, besides a few isolated believers living in the country who have always attached themselves to this center.

In connection with the picture, there is a happy little anecdote which I feel sure will interest all the friends. One of the believers brought with her a young Jewish lady who had lately heard the Message. She wanted very much to come, but with the understanding that she could follow her own guiding and not be taken in the picture if she felt that she did not honestly belong there. This attitude she explained<colbreak> at some length and was, of course, assured that her honest scruples were understood and respected. So she stayed apart while the group was being arranged under the trees, but before very long, she quietly slipped in and sat by her friend. No notice was taken of it then, but afterward I said to her: “So you decided you would like to join us after all?” “Yes,” she replied, very earnestly, “while I sat there watching you people and noticed the different races, the little Japanese family, the <photobreak>

Negro, the Persian, etc., and the friendship and harmony so in evidence among you all, I saw something that I have never seen before, and I said to myself, here is something true; here is something {{real}}--and--I just could not stay away!”

It is interesting to note there are nine children present (out of nineteen belonging to the Assembly) and that although the group is small, there are actually represented nine different nationalities: English, French, Swiss, Irish, Negro, Japanese, Jewish, Persian and American. It shows how cosmopolitan we are in this corner of the world.

{{Ella Goodall Cooper}}.

Continued on page 12

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 1, p. 9

STAR OF THE WEST
(Continuing the BAHAI NEWS)

ALBERT R. WINDUST--EDITORS--GERTRUDE BUIKEMA

{{Persian Editor}}.--MIRZA AHMAD SOHRAB, 1800 Belmont Road, Washington, D. C.
Address all communications to BAHAI NEWS SERVICE, P. O. Box 283, Chicago, Ill., U. S. A.

SUBSCRIPTION PRICE YEAR YEAR.

Sent postpaid throughout North America, including Canal Zone and Panama; and following islands: Cuba, Porto Rico, Hawaii, Philippines; also England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Germany, and Shanghai City (China); Unsealed $1.00; single copy l0c. $1.25; single copy 12c.
Sent postpaid throughout other parts of Occident<colbreak> and adjacent islands, including Newfoundland: Unsealed $1.00; single copy 10c. Sealed $1.75; single copy 15c.
Sent postpaid throughout Orient, including Egypt and Russia: Sealed $1.75; single copy 15c. {{Note}}--Through agents when established in Oriental centers: $1.00 per year.

Make Money Orders payable to BAHAI NEWS SERVICE. P. O. Box 283, Chicago, Ill., U.S.A.

TABLET FROM ABDU'L BAHA.

HE IS GOD!

{{{O thou Star of the West!}}}

Be thou happy! Be thou happy! Shouldst thou continue to remain firm and eternal, ere long, thou shalt become the Star of the East and shalt spread in every country and clime. Thou art the first paper of the Bahais which is organized in the country of America. Although for the present thy subscribers are limited, thy form is small and thy voice weak, yet shouldst thou stand unshakable, become the object of the attention of the friends and the center of the generosity of the leaders of the faith who are firm in the Covenant, in the future thy subscribers will become hosts after hosts like unto waves of the sea; thy volume will increase, thy arena will become vast and spacious and thy voice and fame will be raised and become world-wide--and at last thou shalt become the first paper of the world of humanity. Yet all these depend upon {{firmness, firmness!}}

BAHAI CALENDAR.
MONTH NAME FIRST DAYS
1st Baha' ({{Splendor}}) Mar. 21
2nd Jalal ({{Glory}}) Apr. 9
3rd Jamal ({{Beauty}}) Apr. 28
4th Azamat ({{Grandeur}}) May 17
5th Nur ({{Light}}) June 5
6th Rahmat ({{Mercy}}) June 24
7th Kalamat ({{Words}}) July 13
8th Asma ({{Names}}) Aug. 1
9th Kamal ({{Perfection}}) Aug. 20
10th Eizzat ({{Might}}) Sept. 8
<tablebreak>
11th Masheyat ({{Will}}) Sept. 27
12th Elm ({{Knowledge}}) Oct. 16
13th Kudrat ({{Power}}) Nov. 4
14th Kowl ({{Speech}}) Nov. 23
15th Massaollah ({{Questions}}) Dec. 12
16th Sharaf ({{Honor}}) Dec. 31
17th Sultan ({{Sovereignty}}) Jan. 19
18th Mulk ({{Dominion}}) Feb. 7
19th Ola ({{Loftiness}}) Mar. 2
Four Intercalary days.
({{Month of fasting.})}

Vol. II Chicago (March 21, 1911) Baha No. 1

NEW YEAR'S GREETING FROM ABDUL-BAHA*

HE IS GOD!
{{{O ye children of the Kingdom!}}}

It is New Year; that is to say, the rounding of the cycle of the year. A year is the expression of a cycle (of the sun) but {{now is the beginning of a cycle of Reality, a New Cycle, a New Age, a New Century, a New Time and a New Year. Therefore, it is very blessed}}.

I wish this blessing to appear and become manifest in the faces and characteristics of the believers, so that they, too, may become a new people, and having found new life and been baptized with fire and spirit, may make the world a new world, to the end that the old earth may disappear and the new earth appear; old ideas depart and new thoughts come; old garments be cast aside and new garments put on; ancient politics whose foundation is war be discarded and modern politics founded on peace raise the standard of victory; the new star shine and gleam and the new sun illumine and radiate; new flowers bloom; the new spring become known; the new breeze blow; the new

---
* Revealed for the American friends in 1906, who had sent Abdul-Baha a New Year's (March 21st) Greeting.

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 1, p. 10

STAR OF THE WEST

bounty descend; the new tree give forth new fruit; the new voice become raised and this new sound reach the ears, that the new will follow the new, and all the old furnishings and adornments be cast aside and new decorations put in their places.

I desire for you all that you will have this great assistance and partake of this great bounty, and that in spirit and heart you will strive and endeavor until the world of war become the world of peace; the world of darkness the world of light; satanic conduct be turned into heavenly behavior; the ruined places become built up; the sword be turned into the olive branch; the flash of hatred become the flame of the Love of God and the noise of the gun the voice of the Kingdom; the soldiers of death the soldiers of life; all the nations of the world one nation; all races as one race; and all national anthems harmonized into one melody. Then this material realm will be Paradise, the earth Heaven and the world of Satan become the world of Angels.

----
Our Persian section this issue contains: (1) Naurooz (New Year's) Greeting to all the friends; (2) a statement of the policies of the {{Star of the West}} as it enters upon its second year; (3) dialogue between a Mohammedan priest and a Bahai; (4) translation of the “Exhortations” (5) Tablets regarding Abdul-Baha's coming to America; (6) translation of an article in a Russian newspaper; (7) review of the progress of the Bahai Cause in the West and record of the chief events; (8) invitation to the elderly and experienced Bahais of the East to write three articles concerning the lives of the Bab, BAHA'O'LLAH and Abdul-Baha.

----
THE MASHRAK-EL-AZKAR IN AMERICA.

{{{To the Bahai Assemblies, Greeting}}}:

Having found that some of the friends feel inclined to send money to the Convention instead of a delegate, we desire to impress upon the Assemblies the privilege and importance of sending a representative for the reason that such a gathering is one of the greatest means of unity and the money thus spent will more than repay those who thus provide the means. The Convention instills new life and vigor and the returning delegates impart the knowledge gained regarding the progress of the work and carry the fragrances gathered wherever they go. So let us feel that we are not only erecting a building, but laying the foundation of Unity among mankind. Yours in service,

{{Bernard M. Jacobsen, Secretary}}.

TABLET FROM ABDUL-BAHA.

{{{Through Mirza Ahmad to the attracted maid-servant of God, Mrs. Corinne True, Chicago, Ill.}}}

HE IS GOD!

{{{O thou beloved maid-servant of God!}}}

Your detailed letter was perused and from its contents it became evident that the debt on the land of the Mashrak-el-Azkar is clear. This news made the hearts happy and caused infinite rejoicing.

Now it is hoped that the believers of God may show magnanimity and raise a great sum for the building, so that the foundation of the Mashrak-el-Azkar may be laid, and, perchance, God willing, the cornerstone of the foundation may be laid by the hands of Abdul-Baha.

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 1, p. 11

STAR OF THE WEST

This confirmation will descend upon the people of America if they will all arise and endeavor with great courage to establish union and harmony, so that every trace of difference may be uprooted and they may all become as one heart and one soul.

Convey the wonderful ABHA greeting to all the friends and the maid-servants of the Merciful.

Upon thee be Baha Baha-El-Abha!
Translated by Mirza Ahmad Sohrab, March 4, 1911.

----

NEWS FROM THE OCCIDENT.
Continued from page 9.

PHILADELPHIA, PA.--Our Assembly has no especial news items to send for the first issue of the “Star of the West,” except that we have two meetings every week, at the homes of the believers, on Thursdays and Sundays.
{{Jessie E. Revell.}}

SAN FRANCISCO, CAL.--Much to the joy and satisfaction of the Bahais in Califoraia, the San Francisco Assembly has been established. The San Francisco friends met in January to organize and Dr. F. W. D'Evelyn was elected Chairman, Mr. Charles R. Lee was appointed Secretary and Treasurer, Mrs. Cordie C. Cline, Corresponding Secretary and Mrs. Emma C. Blum, Librarian. Forty-six members were enrolled. This was a good number for the beginning of an Assembly. The first regular meeting was held in the new room, Friday, February 24th, with twenty-four believers present. Great interest is already shown and two meetings a week are held. Committees will be appointed from time to time as the work progresses. The San Francisco and the Oakland Assemblies have already joined hands in good fellowship and love.

{{Helen S. Goodall}}.

SEATTLE, WASH.--In addition to the regular Sunday meeting held at 2916 Beacon avenue, South, which is more particularly for worship and praise in this Glad Day, another gathering is held on Tuesday at the office of Dr. Lathrop, 213 Peoples' Bank Building, which is for the purpose of study.

Mrs. Emma H. Harmon, a Bahai sister from North Bend, Oregon, has been with us for some weeks, and Miss Lydia Rainey, from North Yakima, a few days, resulting in a stronger bond of unity and desire for more consecrated service. Mr. Grant, who has been quite active in giving the Message, is now located in Olympia, a few hours' ride from Seattle.

A gratifying feature of the Assembly is that many are keeping the fast. A very<colbreak> great degree of harmony prevails and the unity which is the result of the love of God is becoming manifest.
{{Ida A. Finch}}.

WASHINGTON, D. C.--Since our last report, the affairs of the Washington Assembly have been marked by continued activity along all lines, and there are many evidences of growth. The meetings are well attended and much interest is shown by the audiences. The system of rotation in Chairmanships, under which every member of the Assembly who is willing to serve, is selected in alphabetical order, to arrange the Friday meetings, is developing new speakers and leaders, while the plan of Unity Feasts, several of the believers being chosen for each, following the same alphabetical arrangement, enables all to participate actively in the work of the Cause.

On the first day of 1911, the Message was given at a meeting of the “Secular League,” Washington's open Forum, and was well received by the large number present. In February, Mr. R. C. Wilhelm spent several days in Washington, addressing a largely-attended meeting directed by our colored friends.

Mr. W. P. Ripley, who so ably served as Chairman of our Working Committee for a considerable period, and later as Vice-Chairman, has, with his family, gone to Orlando, Florida, for a prolonged sojourn. At the February meeting of the Working Committee, the vacancy caused by this absence was filled by the election of Mr. Louis G. Gregory as a member.

Miss M. C. Hudd, of Chicago, is a welcome addition to the ranks of the Washington friends.

On February 28th, a concert was given at the McNeal studio, under the direction of Professor Arthur D. Mayo, for the Mashrak-El-Azkar Fund. The following well-known musicians participated: Mrs. Walter A. Gawler, Mrs. William T. Reed, Mr. Richard P. Backing, Mr. J. Walter Humphrey, Mr. Edwin L. Borchardt and Professor Mayo. Over $40 was realized from this concert.

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 1, p. 12

STAR OF THE WEST

Mr. Gregory has planned to go to Egypt to meet Abdul-Baha, and it is his intension to sail from New York, on March 25th. He expects to visit the European Assemblies while on this trip.

On Thursday, March 9th, our dear brother, Elwin Moore, was called to the Higher life. Bahai funeral services were held at the residence of Dr. E. H. Egbert, and many of the friends were present. Although Mr. Moore has been away from<colbreak> us for about a year, his earnest and winsome personality will be greatly missed. Our tender sympathy and love are extended to the widow, formerly Miss Ursula Shuman, of this city, and to Mrs. Getsinger and Miss Hebe J. Moore, his sisters. In these strong tests of faith, the Bahai spirit is splendidly triumphant, and thus in long-delayed fulfilment of prophecy, death has lost its sting and the grave is despoiled of its victory.
{{Joseph H. Hannen}}.

----
ASSEMBLIES IN THE OCCIDENT.

{{Secretaries are requested to see that their Assembly is correctly represented}}.

CANADA.

MONTREAL, QUE.--Weekly meeting held Friday evenings at the residence of Mr. and Mrs. W. S. Maxwell, 716 Pine Avenue.

ENGLAND.

LONDON, ENG.--Regular meeting of Assembly Friday, 8:15 p. m., at 10 Cheniston Gardens; Wright's Lane, Kensington High Street.

GERMANY.
STUTTGART, WURTEMBERG.--REGULAR meetings of Assembly Friday evenings. Kanzlei strasse 24P. ZUFFENHAUSEN.--At the home of Herrn und Frau F. Schweizer, Karl strasse 26I.

UNITED STATES OP AMERICA.

AKRON, OHIO.--Meetings every Thursday evening at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Russell L. Brooker, 29 Hawthorne Avenue.

BALTIMORE, MD.--Regular weekly meetings Tuesday evenings at 629 West North Avenue, and Sunday evenings at 516 Broadway. Residence of Secretary, 629 West North Avenue.

BOSTON, MASS.--Sunday mornings, at 11 o'clock, in Beckton Hall, 200 Huntington Avenue. Miss Grace Robarts, Corresponding Secretary.

BUFFALO, N. Y.--Meetings every Sunday and Thursday evening at 494 Elmwood Avenue.

CHICAGO, ILL.--Regular weekly meeting, Sunday, 11 a. m., at Corinthian Hall, 17th floor Masonic Temple, State and Randolph Streets. Address of Assembly, P. O. Box 283, George Lesch, Secretary.

CLEVELAND, O.--Meetings Wednesday evenings at the home of Dr. and Mrs. C. M. Swingle, 2101 Prospect Avenue.

DENVER, COLO.--Regular meetings, Sunday, 3:30 p. m., at 4141 Xavier Street; Monday, 8 p. m., at 1608 Broadway, and group<colbreak> meetings Thursday afternoon at homes of the friends. G. Nathaniel Clark, Secretary, 4141 Xavier Street.

FRUITPORT MICH.--Regular weekly meeting, Sunday, 2:30 p. m. Mrs. John Deremo, Secretary

ITHACA, N. Y.--Regular meeting of Assembly, Friday evenings at the residence of Dr. W. E. House, 241 South Cayuga Street.

KENOSHA, Wis.--Regular weekly meeting, Sunday, 10:30 a. m.; Sunday school, 9:30 a. m., at Gronquish Hall, 218 Park Street. Address of Assembly, Fountain Nicholas, Secretary, 868 Park Street.

LOS ANGELES, CAL.--F. B. Beckett, Secretary, 429 Citizens' National Bank Building.

NEW YORK, N. Y.--Regular weekly meeting, Sunday, 11 a. m. at Genealogical Hall, 226 West 58th Street.

OAKLAND, CAL.--Charles R. Lee, Secretary, 1523 Jackson Street, San Francisco. Mrs. Cordie Cline, Corresponding Secretary, 233 Griffith Avenue, San Mateo, Cal.

PHILADELPHIA, PA.--Miss Jessie E. Revell, Secretary, 1429 Mayfield Street.

PORTLAND, ORE.--Regular weekly meeting, Thursday, 2 p. m., at 501 Yamhill Street, corner Fifteenth Street. Mrs. M. M. Rabb, Secretary, 1146 Willamette Boulevard, Station F.

SEATTLE, WASH.--Regular weekly meeting held at 2916 Beacon Avenue, South.

SPOKANE, WASH.--Regular weekly meeting held Friday evening at the home of Mr. and Mrs. A. C. Killius, 124 Fifth Avenue. Miss E. Mabel King, Secretary, E413 Mission Avenue.

SUMMERDUCK, VA.--Meeting on fourth Sundays; address care Mrs. R. H. Duckett.

WASHINGTON, D. C.--Regular meetings Friday evenings at 8:15; Sunday mornings at 11:15, at 1219 Connecticut Avenue. Mail address of Assembly, P. O. Box 192. Residence of Secretary, 1252 Eighth Street, N. W.

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 1, p. 13

--PERSIAN TEXT--

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 1, p. 14

--PERSIAN TEXT--

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 1, p. 15

--PERSIAN TEXT--

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 1, p. 16

--PERSIAN TEXT--

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 1, p. 17

--PERSIAN TEXT--

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 1, p. 18

--PERSIAN TEXT--

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 1, p. 19

--PERSIAN TEXT--
Persian Editorial Office:
NAJME BAKHTAR,
1800 Belmont Road,
Washington, D. C.

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 1, p. 20

brettz9

Vol 2, No. 2

Postby brettz9 » Mon May 28, 2007 12:39 pm

VOL. II. APRIL 9, 1911. NO.2.

CONTENTS

PAGE

London, England, News Notes 2
Tablet Revealed by BAHA'O'LLAH, to the Sultan of Turkey, describing the sufferings of himself and his followers, after his arrival in Akka 3
Recent Tablet from Abdul-Baha to the STAR OF THE WEST 8
Persian Section 9-16

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 2, p. 1

STAR OF THE WEST

CONTENTS OF PERSIAN SECTION.

Our Persian section this issue contains: (1) a brief account of Mirza Ahmad Sohrab's recent visit to New York City; (2) illustration of a thirty-six-story building to be erected in that city; (3) quotations from two recent Tablets from Abdul-Baha regarding his coming to America; (4) news of the Cause in Abade, Persia, mentioning the organization of Mahfele Entezam and a branch of the Tarbiat school; (5) local news of the Cause in Rasht telling of the organization of Mahfele Morattab; (6) news from Gazvin that articles have been written in newspapers against the STAR OF THE WEST; (7) answer of the Editor to the said articles; (8) an article from Bakon, pertaining to the benefits of Western civilization, and pointing out some of the shortcomings of Oriental countries; (9) extract from Tablet regarding the progress of the Cause in America and Japan, and that Americans should prepare to go to China to teach the Truth; (10) departure of the five American financial advisers, with their wives and children, to Teheran; (11) suggestion is made to the Persians to send their young men and women to American schools to be educated, just as both Japan and China have done--the Chinese government now educating nearly 2,000 students in American colleges, who will return to and be engaged in improving the condition of their native land; (12) letter from the Teheran friends to the American friends, praising them for their zeal in serving the Cause and expressing happiness at the news that Abdul-Baha may visit America.

----

LONDON, ENGLAND, NEWS NOTES.

<colstart>On February 25th, a meeting was held especially for Mr. W. Tudor-Pole to meet the Bahais, and speak to them of his visit to Abdul-Baha, and in what ways we could best forward the Cause. He urged that we should remain in, existing organizations as far as possible, endeavoring to spiritualize them and to communicate the Bahai spirit to the others within those organizations, rather than by coming out and forming new assemblies, which might only result in a new sect. He read a translation of Abdul-Baha's beautiful address to be delivered before the First Races Congress, to be held here this summer, in the University of London, July 26-29. This address will be published in the volume issued by the Congress and can afterwards appear in the STAR OF THE WEST. This Congress is the child of the Union of Ethical Societies of America and England. Prof. Felix Adler started the idea. It is supported from over fifty countries, and by thirty Presidents of Parliament, forty Colonial Bishops, some hundred and thirty Professors of International Law, besides others too numerous to mention here. {{“The prime purpose of the Congress is to cultivate mutual knowledge and respect between Occidental and Oriental peoples.”}} So Mr. Tudor Pole thought it our duty as Bahais to do all in our power to help to make this wonderful Congress a success. We can at least all do something to make it more known and induce others to join it as either active or passive members;<colbreak> at $5;25, or $2, for which sum the passive member will receive all the literature, “a veritable Encyclopedia on the race question.” Write for the prospectus to Mr. G. Spiller, 63 South Hill Park, Hampstead, London, N. W.
On March 1st, Archdeacon Wilberforce spoke in his church, St. John's, Westminster, London, on our Movement, and in his sermon the following Sunday answered many questions he had received by post. How much interest this has created is shown by the fact that within the following ten days, Mr. Mayle sold 220 copies of Mr. Sprague's “Story of the Bahai Movement,” clearing out the last of the second edition. A third one is now in hand. Although 10,000 copies of this booklet have been distributed, yet only a small proportion of the people have heard of the Bahais.

A Unitarian minister at Highgate has asked for a Bahai to speak, from his pulpit, of the Faith whereby he lives. Miss Jack, who was some time teaching English to the daughters of Abdul-Baha, has now taken a studio at 13 Hanover street, London, W., where she is at home to any interested in the Cause on Sunday afternoons, 4 to 6 o'clock. We have a definite centre now at Manchester--address Mr. Ed. Theo. Hale, 1 North Street, Higher Broughton. He writes “that the flame burns undimmed on these little Manchester altars.”

--{{Arthur Cuthbert}}.

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 2, p. 2

STAR OF THE WEST
Vol. II Chicago (April 9, 1911) Jalal No. 2

TABLET REVEALED BY BAHA'O'LLAH

TO THE SULTAN OF TURKEY.

Describing the sufferings of himself and his followers, after his arrival in Akka.

HE IS THE POSSESSOR IN HIS MIGHT AND POWER!

{{The Supreme Pen proclaims}}:

O, thou personage, who considerers thyself the greatest of all men, while looking upon the Divine Youth, thinking him to be the lowest of men, yet through him the Eye of the Supreme Concourse is brightened and illumined. This Youth has never made nor will he ever make a request of thee: For from the beginning every one of the Manifestations of Mercifulness and the Dawning-Places of the Glory of the Almighty, who have stepped forth from the Realm of Immortality upon the arena of existence and shone forth with great splendor for the quickening of the dead, men like thee have considered those Sanctified Souls and Temples of Oneness upon whom the reformation of the world depends, as the people of strife, and wrong-doers. Verily, their names (the deniers) are forgotten and ere long thy name will also be forgotten and thou shalt find thyself in great loss. According to thy opinion this Quickener of the World and its Peace-Maker is culpable and seditious. What crime have the women, children and suffering babes committed, to merit thy wrath, oppression and hate? In every religion and community the children are considered innocent, nor does the Pen of Divine Command hold them responsible, yet the reign of thy tyranny and despotism has surrounded them. If thou art the follower of any religion or sect, read thou the Heavenly Books, the Inspired Epistles and the Divine Writings, so that thou mayest realize the irresponsibility of children. On the other hand, even those people who do not believe in God, have never committed such crimes.

In everything an effect is hidden, and no one has denied the effects of things except an ignorant one who is completely denied and deprived of intelligence. Therefore, undoubtedly the lamentation of these children and the cries of these wronged ones will produce a great effect.

You have persecuted a number of souls who have shown no opposition in your country and who have instigated no revolution against the government; nay, rather, days and nights they have been peacefully engaged in the mentioning of God. You have pillaged their properties and through your tyrannical acts, all they had was taken from them. When the order was issued for the banishment of this Youth, these souls began to lament, but the officers who constituted my guard mentioned that these souls had committed no wrong, nor has the government banished them, but if they desire they may follow you, for no one will oppose them. Consequently, they paid all their own

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 2, p. 3

STAR OF THE WEST

expenses and leaving their property behind, they were contented with the Countenance of this Youth and trusting upon God they departed again with the True One, until the fortress of Akka became the place of the incarceration of Baha'. The day after the arrival, the officials of the army surrounded the men, women and children and carried them to the gloomy dungeon of the barrack. The first night they were given neither bread nor water, for the sentinels were guarding the door of the prison and permitted no one to leave the place. They did not consider the plight of these wronged ones. Water was asked for, but it was refused. It is now some time since we are all imprisoned in this dungeon; although we were living for five years in Adrianople and all the people, whether ignorant or wise, rich or poor, testified to the sanctity and holiness of these servants.

When departing from Adrianople one of the believers of God sacrificed himself with his own hand, for he could not see this Wronged One in the hands of the tyrants. On our way we were transferred three times, from one ship to another, and it is evident that a number of the children suffered under these severe circumstances. When we left the steamer, they separated four of the friends from us, and prevented them from following, and upon the departure of this Youth, one of the four, named Abdul Gaffar, threw himself into the sea and no one has ever found any trace of him. This is a drop of the ocean of persecution which surrounded and encircled us. Notwithstanding these things, they are not yet satisfied, and every day the officers of the government are increasing their hard-heartedness, nor is it ended; day and night they are forming new intrigues and adding to our sufferings. From the government supplies, these prisoners receive three loaves of bread to last for twenty-four hours, and no one is able to eat it. From the beginning of the world, no such persecutions have been seen or heard of! I declare by the One who has commanded Baha' to speak, between the heavens and the earth, there is no name or mention for you equal to those who sacrificed their spirits, bodies and property for the love of God, the Mighty, the Powerful, the Omnipotent! Before God, a handful of dust is greater than your kingdom, sovereignty, glory and dominion, and should He desire, He would scatter you as the sand of the desert, and ere long His wrath shall overtake thee, revolutions shall appear in your midst and your countries will be divided! Then you will weep and lament and nowhere will you find help and protection. The mentioning of these facts is not for the sake of your becoming mindful, for already the wrath of God has surrounded you, but you have not nor will you become mindful; neither is it for the sake of reciting the persecutions which have descended upon these holy souls, for they are intoxicated with the Wine of the Merciful and they are so exhilarated with the clear Salsabil of Divine Providence, that should the persecutions of all the world descend upon them in the Path of God, they are satisfied, nay, rather, grateful; they never had nor will they ever have any complaints to offer. At every moment the blood in their bodies begs and supplicates from the Lord of both worlds, that it be shed upon the ground in His Path; likewise their heads yearn to be raised upon a spear for the sake of the Beloved of the heart and soul. For several times the tests of God have descended upon you, and you were not mindful; one was a conflagration which burned the city with the Fire of Justice, so much so that poets have composed poems about it, declaring that such a conflagration has never appeared before; notwithstanding this your negligence increased. Then the cholera came, and still you remained heedless. Be ye watchful, for the wrath of God is prepared, and ere long ye shall behold that which is descended from the Pen of Command. Have ye

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 2, p. 4

STAR OF THE WEST

thought that your glory is everlasting, or did ye dream that your kingdom would remain, forever? No, by the life of God! Your glory is not eternal, and our humiliation will not last. This humiliation is the diadem of all the glories, and only man in his perfection can comprehend it.

When this Youth was a child and had not yet reached the age of maturity, one of my brothers intended to marry in Teheran and according to the custom of that country, for seven days and nights they were engaged in feasting and banqueting. The program for the last day of the entertainments for the guests was the play of Sultan Salim. The ministers, the grandees and officials of the city were there in a great throng, and this Youth was sitting in one of the galleries of the building and was observing the scenes. Then they raised a great tent in the middle of the court; representations of human forms only a few inches in height would come out of the tent and cry: “The king is coming, arrange the seats in order.” Then the other figures came out, sweeping the ground while a number were sprinkling the streets with water; then another picture was presented, who was supposed to be the herald, acquainting the people to be ready for review before His Majesty, the Sultan.

Then the ministers came, with hat and shawl, according to the Persian custom; others were present with clubs, while a number of others were garbed as chamberlains, aides-de-camp, ferrashes and executioners with instruments of punishment. All these men were lined according to their station and class. At last the king appeared, with sovereign power and shining diadem upon his head, and with splendor and glory walked slowly and majestically, and with perfect calmness, tranquility and composure, seated himself upon the throne. At that moment the noise of the guns and the music of the national anther was raised, and the smoke surrounded the tent and the king. When the air was cleared, it was seen that the king was on his throne, and the ministers, the magistrates and secretaries had taken their places according to their rank. Immediately, a thief, captured by the police, was brought before the king, and a royal order was issued to behead him. Then the chief of the executioners took the captive and decapitated him, and a red fluid, which was like blood, was seen by all the spectators. While the Sultan was consulting with some of his ministers, the news was brought in that a certain person had become a rebel. The Sultan issued orders that several regiments of soldiers and artillerymen be sent to the scene and quell the disturbance. After a few minutes the thunderous noise of guns and artillery was heard behind the tent, and we were told they were engaged in battle. This Youth became astonished and bewildered at these affairs. Then the review ended and the curtain descended.

After twenty minutes a man came out from behind the tent with a box under his arm. I asked him, “What is this box? Where is the king and all the men?” He answered that all these great things and manifest objects, such as kings, princes and ministers, glory, majesty, power and sovereignty that we beheld were enclosed in this box.

I declare by the Lord who has created all things through His Word, that from that day all the conditions of this world and its greatness are like that play before the eyes of this Youth. It has not nor will ever have the weight of a mustard seed. I was wondering greatly that the people glorify themselves in these affairs, notwithstanding this, the people of insight will discern with the eye of certainty the end of the glory of every great one before beholding it. I have seen nothing except I have discerned its transiency, and God testifies to this. It is incumbent upon every soul in these few days of life to spend them in truthfulness and justice and if he be not confirmed with the knowledge of the True One, he can at least walk in the path of equity and intelligence.

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 2, p. 5

STAR OF THE WEST

Ere long all these apparent things, manifest treasuries, worldly wealth, valiant soldiers, beautiful dresses and haughty souls, will be enclosed in the box-like tomb, similar to the box which contained all the players, and all this quarrel, strife and so-called honors are like the play of the children before the people of insight. Be ye admonished, and be not of those who see the Truth and yet deny. These things will not affect this Youth and the friends of the True One, for they are all prisoners and enchained, and will not nor will ever make any request of people like thee.

The point is this, that thou mayest raise thy head from the bed of negligence and become mindful and not oppose the servants of God without reason. Bear in mind that so far as power and strength remain in the body, thou shouldst remove persecutions from the oppressed ones. Shouldst thou have a little justice and behold with the eye of certainty in the affairs and differences of the ephemeral world, thou shalt acknowledge that all of them are like unto the above-mentioned play. Hearken unto the word of Truth! Be thou not proud on account of the world. Where are those people who were like unto thee, who claimed divinity in this earth without the permission of God, and desired to extinguish the Light of God and to demolish the foundation of Truth? Dost thou see any one of them? Be just! Then turn to God, perchance He may forgive the sins thou hast committed in this ephemeral life. Yet we know that thou shalt not become assisted in this, for through thy tyranny the Fire of Sinai flamed forth, the Spirit wept, and the hearts of the angels bled.

O, ye people of the earth! Hearken to the voice of this Oppressed One with the ear of the soul, and ponder ye deeply over the above-mentioned story. Perchance ye may not be burned with the fire of passion and desire, and be not prevented from the meeting of the True One, through the worthless things of the faithless world. Glory and abasement, poverty and wealth, trouble and tranquillity, all shall pass away, and ere long all the inhabitants of the earth shall return to the tomb. Therefore every possessor of insight must behold the immortal outlook, that peradventure, through the Bounties of the Eternal Sovereign, he may enter into the everlasting Kingdom and rest under the shade of the Tree of Command. Although the world is the place of treachery and duplicity, yet under all circumstances it reminds all the people with the idea of change. The passing of the father is an admonition for the son, and it reminds him that he, too, must pass away. It would have been well if the people of the world who are amassing great fortunes and are deprived of the True One, knew what would become of their great wealth. By the Life of Baha', no one is cognizant of this fact except God, Glorified is His Station!

The philosopher, Avicena--peace be upon him--says: “Be admonished O ye whose hearts are darkened, be ye admonished O ye, whose faces are covered with the lines of age!” However, the majority of the people are asleep. The example of those souls is like unto a person who was so intoxicated with wine that he was showing the signs of affection to a dog, and showering upon him tender words of love and affection. When the morning of intelligence dawned, and the horizons of the heaven were illumined with the brilliant orb, he beheld that his beloved was only a dog; when ashamed, regretful and remorseful on account of his act, he returned to his home.

Do thou not think that thou hast made this Youth powerless, or that thou hast conquered him. Thou art defeated by one of the servants, but knowest it not. The worst and lowest of creatures ruled over thee, and that is, thy passion and desire, which has been condemned forever. If it were not on account of the consummate Wisdom of God thou wouldst have seen thy

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 2, p. 6

STAR OP THE WEST

weakness and the weakness of the people of the earth. This humility is the glory of My Cause, wert thou to know! This Youth has never loved nor will ever love to utter any word which is against courtesy. Verily, courtesy is My Garment with which we have adorned the temples of our favorite servants. Otherwise some of thy actions that thou thinkest are unknown, would be mentioned in this Tablet. O, thou possessor of might! These little children and these friends of God did not need the officers and soldiers as guards. After our arrival, one of the officers presented himself and after much conversation expressed his own innocence and thy crime. This Youth mentioned to him that: “Primarily, it was necessary to bring about a meeting of the Ullamas of the time and Himself so that the crimes of which these servants are accused might become evident. However, time has passed and according to thy statement thou art commanded to imprison us in the ‘most desolate city.’ But I have one wish to make of thee, and that is to request of His Majesty, the Sultan, to grant Me an audience of ten minutes in order that he may ask the proofs and arguments which he thinks would establish the validity of the Word of God. If the proofs which he desires are made manifest on the part of God, he should then liberate these wronged ones and leave them to their own condition.”

He promised to take this message and send an answer, but we heard nothing more from him; although it is not the Station of this True One to present Himself before any person, for all the people are created for His worship: Yet for the sake of these little children and the number of women who are away from their country and people, we volunteered this act, but notwithstanding this, no result was produced. Omar is living and ready, ask of him so that the Truth may become manifest to thee. Now all these exiled ones are sick and lying in prison. No one but God the Mighty, the Glorious, knows what will happen to us.

During the first days two of these servants passed into the Supreme Concourse. One day one of the officers commanded that they could not remove those blessed bodies unless they were paid for the shroud and casket, although no one ever asked anything of them. At that time we possessed no earthly means, and when we insisted that they leave the work to us and allow the friends to prepare the dead for burial, they refused. Finally they took a rug to the bazaar and sold it at auction and delivered the money to the officers. Later on it became evident that they only dug the ground and laid the two blessed bodies in the one grave, although they had been doubly paid for shrouds and caskets. The pen is unable and the tongue is powerless to describe that which has descended upon us; however, all these poisons of tests are sweeter to this Youth than honey. I pray that under all circumstances the trials of the world in the Path of God and the Love of the Merciful may descend upon this Ocean of Significances. We beg of Him patience and endurance.

Thou art weak, and knowest it not. Couldst thou realize and be perfumed with the fragrance wafted from the direction of the Ancient Beauty, thou wouldst leave everything that thou hast in hand and hasten to come and live in one of the ruined rooms of this Most Great Prison. Ask thou of God that thou mayest attain to the age of maturity so that thou mayest recognize the beauty and ugliness of deeds and actions. Peace be upon those who follow guidance!

Translated by Mirza Ahmad Sohrab, especiay for the STAR OF THE WEST.

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 2, p. 7

STAR OF THE WEST

PUBLISHED NINETEEN TIMES A YEAR
By the BAHAI NEWS SERVICE, 515 So. Dearborn St., Chicago, Ill., U.S.A.
----
ALBERT R. WINDUST--{{EDITORS}}--GERTRUDE BUIKEMA

{{Persian Editor}}.--MIRZA AHMAD SOHRAB, 1800 Belmont Road, Washington, D. C.
Address all communications to BAHAI NEWS SERVICE, P. O. Box 283, Chicago, Ill., U. S. A.
----
SUBSCRIPTION PRICE YEAR YEAR.

<colstart>Sent postpaid throughout North America, including Canal Zone and Panama; and following islands: Cuba, Porto Rico, Hawaii, Philippines; also England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Germany, and Shanghai City (China); Unsealed $1.00; single copy l0c. Sealed $1.25; single copy 12c.
Sent postpaid throughout other parts of Occident<colbreak> and adjacent islands, including Newfoundland: Unsealed $1.00; single copy 10c. Sealed $1.75; single copy 15c.
Sent postpaid throughout Orient, including Egypt and Russia: Sealed $1.75; single copy 15c. {{Note}}--Through agents when established in Oriental centers: $1.00 per year.

Make Money Orders payable to BAHAI NEWS SERVICE, P. O. Box 283, Chicago, Ill., U.S.A.
----
TABLET FROM ABDUL-BAHA.

HE IS GOD!

Be thou happy! Be thou happy! Shouldst thou continue to remain firm and eternal, ere long, thou shalt become the Star of the East and shalt spread in every country and clime. Thou art the first paper of the Bahais which is organized in the country of America. Although for the present thy subscribers are limited, thy form is small and thy voice weak, yet shouldst thou stand unshakable, become the object of the attention of the friends and the center of the generosity of the leaders of the faith who are firm in the Covenant, in the future thy subscribers will become hosts after hosts like unto waves of the sea; thy volume will increase, thy arena will become vast and spacious and thy voice and fame will be raised and become world-wide--and at last thou shalt become the first paper of the world of humanity. Yet all these depend upon {{firmness, firmness, firmness!}}

BAHAI CALENDAR.
MONTH NAME FIRST DAYS
<tablebreak>
15th Massa'ulk ({{Questions}}) Dec. 12
Four Intercalary days.
({{Month of fasting.})}
----
Vol. II Chicago (April 9, 1911) Jalal No. 2
----
To the Editors of the STAR OF THE WEST:

{{{O ye Editors of the STAR OF THE WEST!}}}

Your letter was received and your effort became known. I hope that, day by day, you may add to your effort and give importance to this newspaper, for it shall progress step by step and shall attain to the praiseworthy station.

The detailed Tablets of Abdul-Baha in regard to Exhortations and Education are many. Ask for them and print them in the paper. You have permission. Whenever, in the future, detailed Tablets are written, copies will be sent to you for publication.
Upon ye be Baha-el-ABHA!

(Signed) ABDUL-BAHA ABBAS.
----
Extract from Tablet to Mirza Ahmad Sohrab in reference to the foregoing Tablet: “A new Tablet is revealed for the Editors of the STAR OF THE WEST. Translate and forward it to them. The volume of this newspaper, God willing, will grow to the dimensions that you outline. There are many detailed and general Tablets by Abdul-Baha upon purely exhortational matters, pertaining to moral and spiritual development. Print them by degrees in the STAR OF THE WEST. Likewise, whenever, in the future, you receive any detailed Tablets, you should print them in its columns. God willing, the number of its subscribers shall also increase.”

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 2, p. 8

--PERSIAN TEXT--

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 2, p. 9

--PERSIAN TEXT--

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 2, p. 10

--PERSIAN TEXT--

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 2, p. 11

--PERSIAN TEXT--

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 2, p. 12

--PERSIAN TEXT--

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 2, p. 13

--PHOTO--

--PERSIAN TEXT--

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 2, p. 14

--PERSIAN TEXT--

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 2, p. 15

--PERSIAN TEXT--

Persian Editorial Office: NAJME BAKHTAR,
1800 Belmonst Road, Washington, D. C.

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 2, p. 16

majnun

Postby majnun » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:00 pm

It would be nice if you could add
the photos, and the persian text.
MJ

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:22 pm

Hello Majnun,

Yes, it would be. Unfortunately, I can only barely recognize Persian when in normal print form (let alone handwriting), and I don't have access to a scanner now. But, it is, I was told, at least a long-term goal of the official Proofreading Project to add these volumes in their entirety to XML format and that would presumably be complete and include the photos whenever the hard-working yet limited-in-number team might be able to get to it.

In the meantime, you could purchase the Star of the West CD-ROM which contains the digitized images (but not in an open format, so I didn't see any way one could just adopt the images, even if that were allowed by copyright (the material is public domain by now, but the scanning I would guess wouldn't be)).

best wishes,
Brett

brettz9

Vol. 2, No. 3

Postby brettz9 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:59 am

Vol. II. April 28, 1911. No. 3.

STAR OF THE WEST

CONTENTS
WORDS OF BAHAOLLAH 3

The Difference Between Material Civilization and Divine Civilization--Tablet from Abdul-Baha 3
Extract from Recent Tablet to the Friends in Korassan, Persia 4
News from the Orient 5
Letter from Dr. Clock, now in Persia 6
The Mashrak-el-Azkar in America--Message from Abdul-Baha through Mr. Percy F. Woodcock 7
News from the Occident 9
Persian Section 10-16

- SW, Vol. 25, p. 37

STAR OP THE WEST

ASSEMBLIES IN THE OCCIDENT.

Secretaries are requested to see that their Assembly is correctly represented.

<colstart>
CANADA.
MONTREAL, QUE.--Weekly meeting held Friday evening at the residence of Mr. and Mrs. W. S. Maxwell, 716 Pine Avenue.

LONDON, ENG.--Regular meeting of Assembly Friday, 8:15 p. m., at 10 Cheniston Gardens; Wright's Lane, Kensington, High Street. Bahai Reading Room, l37A High Street, entrance from Wright's Lane.

GERMANY.
STUTTGART, WUWRTEMBERG.--Regular Meetings of Assembly Friday evening. Kanzlei strasse 24P. ZUFFENHAUSEN.--At the home of Herrn and Frau F. Schweizer, Karl strasse 26I.

UNITED STATES OF AMERCA.

AKRON, OHIO.--Meetings every Thursday evening at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Russell L. Brooker, 29 Hawthorne Avenue.
BALTIMORE, MD.--Regular weekly meetings Tuesday evening at 629 West North Avenue, and Sunday evening at 516 Broadway. Residence of Secretary, 629 West North Avenue.

BOSTON, MASS.--Sunday morning, at 11 o'clock, in Beckton Hall, 200 Huntington Avenue; study class, Friday, 8 p. m., at 69 Gainsborough Street. Miss Julia Culver, Corresponding Secretary, 38 Putnam Avenue, Cambridge.
BUFFALO, NY.--Meetings every Sunday and Thursday evening at 494 Elmwood Avenue.
CHICAGO, ILL.--Regular weekly meeting, Sunday, 11 a. m., at Corinthian Hall, 17th floor Masonic Temple, State and Randolph Streets. Address of Assembly, P. O. Box 283, George Lesch, Secretary. Bahais coming to Chicago who wish to be met at the railroad station and be put into communication with the friends in this city, may address Mrs. Charles H. Greenleaf, 4855 Kenmore Avenue. Telephone Ravenswood 3025.
CINCINNATI, O.--Meeting held Wednesday evening at the homes of the friends. Residence of Secretary, Mrs. Annie L. Parmerton, 543 Mitchell Avenue.
CLEVELAND, O.--Meetings Wednesday evening at the home of Dr. and Mrs. C. M. Swingle, 2101 Prospect Avenue.
<colbreak>
DENVER, COLO.--Regular meetings, Sunday, 3:30 p. m., at 4141 Xavier Street; Monday, 8 p. m., at 1608 Broadway, and group meetings Thursday afternoon at homes of the friends. G. Nathaniel Clark, Secretary, 4141 Xavier Street.
FRUITPORT, MICH.--Regular weekly meeting Sunday, 2:30 p. m., at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Nels Peterson. Mrs. John Deremo, Secretary.
ITHACA, N. Y.--Regular meeting of Assembly, Friday evening at the residence of Dr. W. E. House, 241 South Cayuga Street.
KENOSHA, WIS.--Regular weekly meeting, Sunday, 10:30 a. m.; Sunday school, 9:30 a. m., at Gronquish Hall, 218 Park Street. Address of Assembly, Mr. Charles Carlson, Secretary, 418 Crate Street. Mrs. Anna Bohanan, Secretary, Women's Assembly.
LOS ANGELES, CAL.--F. B. BECKETT, Secretary, 429 Citizens' National Bank Building.
MUSKEGON, MICH.--Meetings held Wednesday
afternoon at 52 Jackson Street. Mrs. Helene Bagg, Secretary.
NEW YORK, N. Y.--Regular weekly meeting, Sunday, 11 a. m., at Genealogical Hall, 226 West 58th Street.
OAKLAND, CAL.--Charles R. Lee, Secretary, 1523 Jackson Street, San Francisco. Mrs. Cordie Cline, Corresponding Secretary, 233 Griffith Avenue, San Mateo, Cal.
PHILADELPHIA, PA.--Miss Jessie E. Revell, Secretary, 1429 Mayfleid Street.
PORTLAND, ORE.--Regular weekly meeting, Thursday, 2 p. m., at 501 Yamhill Street, corner Fifteenth Street. Mrs. M. M. Rabb, Secretary, 1146 Willamette Boulevard, Station F.
SEATTLE, WASH.--Regular weekly meeting held at 2916 Beacon Avenue, South.
SPOKANE, WASH.--Regular weekly meeting held Friday evening at the home of Mr. and Mrs. A. C. Killius, 124 Ffth Avenue. Miss E. Mabel King, Secretary, E413 Mission Avenue.
SUMERDUCK, VA.--Meeting on fourth Sunday; address care Mrs. R. H. Duckett.
WASHINGTON, D. C.--Regular meetings Friday evening at 8:15; Sunday morning at 11:15, at 1219 Connecticut Avenue; Wednesday evening at 8:00, at 1937 Thirteenth Street, N. W. Mail address of Assembly, P. O. Box 192. Residence of Secretary, Mr. Joseph Hannen, 1252 Eighth Street, N. W.

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 3, p. 2

STAR OF THE WEST
Vol. II Chicago (April 28, 1911) Jamal No. 3

WORDS OF BAHA'O'LLAH.

O my servant! O Joseph! Hear the tone of God and do not compare this day with any other day, neither the wonderful, sweet Word of God with any other words; look to the apparent matters with thine own eye, and do not follow anyone in knowing the Greatest and Brilliant Orb.
In this day, the beloved of God must not hesitate or delay an instant in teaching the Cause of the Manifestation, and must summon the people continually, with great admonition and conciliating words, to the Religion of Majestic Oneness; because, verily, in this day, to the soul who is the cause of guidance to another soul the recompense of a martyr in the way of God will be assuredly recorded by the Pen of the Cause, for his deed.
----
THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MATERIAL CIVILIZATION AND DIVINE CIVILIZATION.

TABLET FROM ABDUL-BAHA.*
To Mr. Arthur S. Agnew, Chicago Ill. Upon him be BAHA'O'LLAH-el-ABHA!

HE IS GOD!

{{{O Thou Servant of the Beauty of ABHA!}}}
I received thy letter, and the books that thou hadst sent have been received. Convey, on my behalf, most wonderful ABHA, greetings unto Mr. Albert R. Windust, Miss Gertrude Buikema and Miss Mary Lesch. During hours of leisure, when in the middle of the night I engage in supplications, I shall beg for assistance and favor in their behalf. Indeed, they have made a great effort in the printing and publication of the Letters (i. e. Tablets).†
As to the difference between the natural (i. e. physical or material) civilization which is in the present day in force, and the Divine civilization which shall be of the results of The House of Justice: The material civilization prevents and safeguards people from committing evil deeds, through the force of the laws of retaliation and correction. Thus, you see how prohibitory laws and rules of correction are constantly in circulation and yet, by no means, any (adequate) law of retribution is to be found; and in all the cities of Europe and America spacious prison buildings have been founded and established for correcting and punishing the criminals.

But the Divine civilization will {{so}} train mankind that no soul will commit crimes, except rare (or few) individuals, which exception is of no importance whatsoever. Consequently, there is much difference between preventing people from evil actions and crimes through correction and retaliation or through violent punishment, and {{so}} training them, enlightening them and
---
* First of a series of Tablets containing Exhortations to moral and spiritual development.
† Refers to the compilation of three volumes of "Tablets of Abdul-Baha," by the Bahai Publishing Society in America.

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 3, p. 3

STAR OF THE WEST

spiritualizing them that they will shun crimes and evil deeds {{without}} any fear (however) of punishment, prevention or retaliation. Nay, they will consider crimes themselves as the greatest punishment and mightiest retribution, will be attracted to the virtues of the human world and devotedly spend their lives in that which is conducive to the enlightenment of mankind and to spreading qualities acceptable in the Threshold of the Almighty.

Consequently, consider what a difference and distinction is there between the material civilization and the Divine civilization! The natural civilization prevents men from doing harm and wrong through force and punishment and thus withholds them from committing crimes. But the Divine civilization {{so}} trains men that the human individuals avoid sins without having any fear from (material) punishment; and the very sin itself becomes unto them as the severest punishment. And they will engage in acquiring human virtues, gaining that by which mankind will be uplifted and that which will enlighten the human world with the utmost zeal and fervor.

O Thou Creator! Bring the American friends nigh unto the Kingdom of ABHA and suffer their deeds and actions to be in conformity with the Commandments and Exhortations written in the Tablets. Make them firm in Thy Love and steadfast in Thy Cause. Attract them unto the Bahai Beauty and cause them to attain infinite warmth and fervor. Bestow upon them a firm footing and give them a heavenly power in order that they may engage in Thy service and spread the Signs of the Kingdom.
Thou art the Powerful, the Mighty! Thou art the Compassionate, the Gracious, the Seer!
Convey, on my behalf, the most wonderful ABHA, greeting to his honor, Mr. MacNutt and Mrs. MacNutt.

----
EXTRACT FROM RECENT TABLET TO THE FRIENDS IN KHORASSAN, PERSIA.

The news of the attraction of the hearts of the believers of God ignited the candle of happiness and created spiritual joy. Abdul-Baha traveled to the land of Joseph of Canaan and because well known in the servitude of the Holy Threshold. Although the attack of the sects and the false rumors and statements in the newspapers are intense, yet it is my hope that this journey may become fruitful and the Voice and Summons of the Cause of God may move these regions; some seed may be sown and watered and be assisted by the downpour of the rain of the Mercy of the Almighty. Assuredly they will grow and become green and verdant.

Praise be to God! that through the Bounty and Favor of the Most Great Name--May my life be a sacrifice to His believers!--the Voice of the Cause of God is raised in all countries and the Fame and Melody of the Word of God is spread in every region. In these days the Cause of God is progressing and advancing in America, and in Asia there is the clamor of Turk and Tajik. The Bahais have founded an English newspaper in the capital of Japan, which is edited and circulated by his honor, the learned Professor Barakatullah, of India. Some of the American believers are expecting to make a trip to China and Manchuria so that they may raise the Voice of the Kingdom in those parts, and in Europe and Asia the Trumpet of the Supreme Concourse is heard.

God be praised! Notwithstanding this divine, Majestic Cause, the promotion of the Word of God and the diffusion of the Fragrances of God, a few impotent ones, who are less than the flies, desire to break the Covenant and violate the Testament. How fruitless and weak is their endeavor! The screech of the ow1 is discordant before the Melody of the Kingdom and the cawing of the crow is drowned before the harmony of the

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 3, p. 4

STAR THE WEST

Nightingale of Significance; the weak bat with its shattered broken wing cannot soar with the white-winged Gabriel, and the darkness of humiliation and remorse cannot cover the rays of the Sun of Truth. Were there any justice they would all testify that this Pen is not moving the East and the West except through the Confirmation of the Blessed Perfection, and this Melody is not imparting rejoicing and delight to the world except through the assistance of the Most Great Name. When the blind souls deny the existence of the sun, they think they have accomplished a great feat, while heedless of the fact that they have proved more than anything else their own ignorance.

----
NEWS FROM THE ORIENT.

During the past two years three distinct movements inaugurated in America by the Bahais, have demonstrated to the friends in the Orient, to what extent the Cause has spread and with what spiritual power it has become manifest in the western world. {{First}} is the building of the Mashrak-el-Azkar in Chicago, which brought forth such a generous contribution from all parts of the world and united the Bahais in a bond of ideal union and concord. {{Second}}, the organization of the Persian-American Educational Society in Washington, D. C. The practical usefulness and wide-spread fame which this Society has achieved in a short time has attracted great attention among prominent men of the Orient. The necessity of such a Society has been felt for some time, and it will undoubtedly achieve great service in the future throughout the East as well as in Persia. A writer in a recent newspaper in Egypt says, that of all the many societies which have been formed during the past few years to serve Persia, this Society has demonstrated itself to be the most useful and the most practical. {{Third}}, the publication of the BAHAI NEWS, now the STAR OF THE WEST, edited jointly in Chicago and Washington. The hundreds of letters received from all parts of the Orient, from every city, town and village, are the greatest proof that this publication has effected a most wonderful service in the Bahai world. It has irrefutably demonstrated that the Cause of BAHA'O'LLAH is advancing with great strides toward its ultimate destination. The deniers of the Cause have never dreamed that this Revelation would bring about such results. For the last few months many Assemblies in Persia and the Orient have been organized, several schools are being established, and many changes are introduced; in fact, it might be said that the Cause is entering upon a period of reconstruction, the results of which will be beneficial and wholesome. The following news items are a few paragraphs gleaned from the immense correspondence which has been very lately received from the Orient:

<colstart>
ALEXANDRIA.--A daily newspaper, {{The Valley of the Nile}}, in its issue of March 22nd presents a full page concerning the life and teachings of Abdul-Baha. It is a noteworthy fact that all the prominent people of Egypt are beginning to feel his spiritual presence and call upon him to receive instruction. The news of the looking forward of the American Bahais to the coming of Abdul-Baha to that country has reached here and it is hoped that all the friends may attain to this blessing and that the Center of the Covenant may travel to the West. Not only are the American Bahais anxious to have Abdul-Baha in their midst, but the friends of every country are supplicating him to visit them. Now that he is free the believers are not satisfied with Tablets and Messages, but they long to have him personally.

ABADE.--In these days every Bahai Assembly in Persia is engaged in practical service and co-operation and the friends are engaged in the establishment of various

<colbreak>committees to work for the advancement of the Cause. We have just now organized the Mahfel Entezam, which will be composed of members who are engaged in spreading the Cause, studying the Teachings, corresponding with the different Assemblies and giving succor to the helpless ones. Haji Tavangar, a well known Bahai, is the chairman; Mirza Nasrollah is Secretary, and Mirza Azzizollah is Treasurer. We hope that the friends in the West will correspond with us. We also have organized a boys' club, whose members meet once a week for two hours reading of the Tablets, memorizing the Hidden Words, and social refreshment. In regard to the School of Tarbiat here: It was established three years ago, through a very progressive man, Haji Ali Khan. Though this man has never traveled abroad and is unacquainted with modern educational methods, yet he is very anxious to do all he can for the advancement of this school. In the past he sought in vain to find an assistant who was acquainted with western methods, until a few months ago the friends engaged Mirza Anayatollah Sohrab, who is a graduate from the American College

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 3, p. 5

STAR OP THE WEST

<colstart>
in Teheran. After his arrival, the school awakened to greater activities, but not having textbooks, such as geographies, arithmetics, physiologies and readers, we have labored under great difficulties. We hope that some provision will be made so that we can get these books from America and thus start the new system with great vigor.

ESPHAHAN.--Our Spiritual Assembly has had weekly meetings and the STAR OF THE WEST has been a great encouragement in our work. Several new people have entered the Cause. In a newspaper we have read that Miss Barney has written a book called, “God's Heroes.” We would like very much to have a copy of this book that we might become acquainted with its contents. Two of the celebrated teachers, Seyad Jalal and Mirza Haji Aga, who have been teaching in this city for a year, have left for Teheran. Their stay in our midst has been productive of good results. The daily papers are writing articles in regard to the five American Financiers who are to reconstruct the finances of Persia. Everyone is pleased with this new link which will bring Persia and America nearer together.

HAMADAN--THE STAR OF THE WEST has met with great approval on every side and

<colbreak>
the friends have subscribed to it so that they may in a small way contribute toward the foundation of this Bahai publication. We hope that soon the Bahais in America will enter into commercial relationship with the Persians, as there are many articles to be exchanged to the mutual benefit of both parties. We are ready to enter such negotiations whenever such a channel is opened.

TEHERAN.--Our dear sister, Dr. Moody has been appointed as the American representative of the P. A. E. S., so it is hoped that the affairs of the Society will be atttended to in the future without loss of time. The authorities of the school are awaiting the arrival of the two American teachers. The school for girls is soon to be opened and the lady teacher will receive a hearty welcome on her arrival. Lately, Abdul-Baha has given permission to Mirza Sotfollah and Gottsia Khanum (the Persian girl) to go to America to study. They expect to leave the latter part of June with the hope of first visiting Abdul-Baha. It is hoped that this first Persian girl going to America, will receive great benefits from her studies, and that her going will open the door for many to follow. The friends here expect to organize a commercial committee for the transaction of business between the Orient and the Occident.
<colend>
----
LETTER FROM DR. CLOCK.
Teheran, Persia, March 20, 1911.
{{Dear friends in El-Baha:}}

All American will certainly love Persia if they feel as I do. I am very happy here and just now the air is filled with the atmosphere of preparation for the New Year and this letter leaves here on the great day.

No one can over-estimate the joy of the Persians in anticipation of the coming of Americans. Everything having any connection with America is attractive to them. One of my friends sent me some seeds of a medicinal plant I wanted to raise. Fortunately, there was a generous supply and I was able to distribute them among many people here besides sending some to Esphahan and Yazd.

There are so many things that modern governmental management can improve and the Persians realize it more than the foreigners.

The eagerness for education makes the young people and children very apt and only those who are with them are able to realize it. A young man had been kind to us when we first came here and I offered to do something for him in return. His sister wanted to study English and although I had never taught anyone, I felt I must try, and before the end of a week I had a room full and finally was invited to a little school and take my class with me. I use a little primer and have my interpreter translate the lesson into Persian--then give it to them with added vocabulary. Two hours a week is very little to give to such bright, eager people, and I want to do more. The opportunity will soon be mine, for another school is to be opened this week. Some of the pupils know English but want experience in talking and I will give them at least two hours each week.

No one who has not been with the Persian women can imagine their sweetness--and as to the children, I know no words to tell of them.

A lady from Yonkers sent me some picture books of her little girl and I have distributed them among the children. Already a letter has been written to the little girl (Rosalie Moore) by a little Persian boy and he has also sent two photos of the little king. Mrs. Moore's idea was to establish a correspondence between children all over the world, and among the Bahais this is certainly a good place to begin a letter friendship,

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 3, p. 6

STAR OP THE WEST

if it has not been done already, for although the city is large and there are hundreds of Bahais here and I have seen many, I know there are a great many I have not seen.

We attended a meeting of women in the Jewish quarter. They have been made up mostly of inquirers. At this last one Faeze Khanum was the teacher and I took with me an English woman who knows some Persian (not a Bahai) or, rather, she went with Dr. Moody and me. Her surprise at the depth of the questions asked and the ready, satisfactory answers was very great, and there are a great many Jewish women Bahais, as well as many men, and if one wants to be convinced of a very practical side of the Revelation, they should see the improvement in the way of living here. It is more apparent here than anywhere.
With Bahai greetings, yours in the Great Cause,

({{Signed}}) SARAH A. CLOCK.
----
THE MASHRAK-EL-AZKAR IN AMERICA.
New York City, April 21, 1911.
{{{To the friends of Abdul-Baha:}}}

During our recent visit of six weeks with Abdul-Baha, in Ramleh, Egypt, the words of Jesus to His disciples--“If ye love Me, keep My commands.” . . . “He that hath My Commandments and keepeth them, he it is that loveth Me”--were forcibly brought to our minds, by the following incident:
One day, the Editor of an American Journal, in an interview with Abdul-Baha asked, “Have you many followers in America?” Abdul-Baha replied, “I have a few friends in different cities who love Me.” It is needless to say that those words, together with what was said to us afterwards by Abdul-Baha scorched our very souls, and caused us to halt and put the question squarely to ourselves, “Are we Abdul Baha's friends? Have we obeyed implicitly His Commands?”
When we left New York last January for Egypt, we carried with us many supplications and earnest entreaties from sincere and loving souls, begging us to ask Abdul-Baha for a final word as to his wish in connection with the Mashrak-el-Azkar saying, that many demands were being made upon them for money to support other enterprises which were represented as of equal importance as the Mashrak-el-Azkar; that they were in a state of perplexity and uncertainty as to their duty in this important matter.

Abdul-Baha said, “When you return to America, call together those sincere souls who have asked this question and say: The most important thing in this day is the speedy erection of this Edifice (the Mashrak-el-Azkar). Its mystery is great and can not be unveiled just yet. In the future it will be made plain. I want everyone left free to act as he wills. If anyone wishes to put money into other things, let him do so. Do not interfere with him in any way. But be assured, {{the most important thing at this time is the building of the Mashrak-el-Azkar.}}”

Fraternally yours, PERCY F. WOODCOCK.

P. S.--A Tablet recently received by Mr. Mountfort Mills contains the following: “Announce on my behalf my warmest greetings to Mr. Howell, and say, The Mashrak-el-Azkar of Chicago is of the greatest importance. This is a Bahai Temple, a supreme House of Worship, a place of spiritual gathering and of the manifestation of Divine Mysteries. The friends of God must endeavor with all their hearts and souls that this structure may be raised and completed.”

----
Our Persian section this issue contains: (1) Copies of recent Tablets to the STAR OF THE WEST; (2) copy of latest Tablet to the American Assemblies, reiterating the conditions requisite for Abdul-Baha's coming to America. [N. B.--This Tablet will be incorporated in the Convention Report to be printed in the English section of issue No. 4.--ED]; sending of petition to Abdul-Baha, signed by hundreds of the friends, supplicating him to visit America; (4) outline of the purposes of the First Universal Races Congress to be held in London, Eng., in July, at which noteworthy gathering a paper from the pen of Abdul-Baha, especially written for the occasion, is to be read; (5) short synopsis of the work of the Second International Congress of Mothers recently held in Washington, D. C. and suggestion to the Persian women to organize mothers' clubs; (6) quotation from an article by a Mohammedan Mullah, advocating toleration of all religions in Persia; (7) description of the port of Bandare Jaz, Persia, and the martyrdom of one of the beloved friends in a nearby town; (8) photograph of the Bahais in Bandare Jaz; (9) editorial on the true greatness of a nation; (10) opening of the Third Bahai Convention in Chicago for the consideration of matters pertaining to the Mashrak-el-Azkar; (11) donation of $10,000,000 to the Cause of Universal Peace and $25,000,000 to the Carnegie Institute of Washington, D. C., by Mr. Andrew Carnegie.

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 3, p. 7

STAR OF THE WEST

By the BAHAI NEWS SERVICE, 515 South Dearborn Street., Chicago, Ill., U.S.A.
Application made at Chicago, Ill., as second-class matter.

----
ALBERT R. WINDUST--EDITORS--GERTRUDE BUIKEMA

{{Persian Editor}}.--MIRZA AHMAD SOHRAB, 1800 Belmont Road, Washington, D. C., U.S.A.
----
TERMS: $1.00 per year; 10 cents per copy.
{{Note}} --Until further notice, distribution in the Orient is through Agents.
Make Money Orders payable to BAHAI NEWS SERVICE, P.O. Box 283, Chicago, Ill., U.S.A.
----
----

TABLET FROM ABDUL-BAHA.

HE IS GOD!

Be thou happy! Be thou happy! Shouldst thou continue to remain firm and eternal, ere long, thou shalt become the Star of the East and shalt spread in every country and clime. Thou art the first paper of the Bahais which is organized in the country of America. Although for the present thy subscribers are limited, thy form is small and thy voice weak, yet shouldst thou stand unshakable, become the object of the attention of the friends and the center of the generosity of the leaders of the faith who are firm in the Covenant, in the future thy subscribers will become hosts after hosts like unto waves of the sea; thy volume will increase, thy arena will become vast and spacious and thy voice and fame will be raised and become world-wide--and at last thou shalt become the first paper of the world of humanity. Yet all these depend upon {{firmness, firmness, firmness!}}

BAHAI CALENDAR.
MONTH NAME FIRST DAYS
<tablebreak>
Four Intercalary days.
({{Month of fasting.})}
----
Vol. II Chicago (April 28, 1911) Jamal No. 3
----

{{{To the friends of God throughout the Occident:}}}

Referring to the circular letter enclosed in a late number of the BAHAI NEWS, outlining the plan for a petition for Inter-Assembly Unity, observed during the Bahai Fast (March 2-20, inclusive) and followed by a supplication to be sent to Abdul-Baha, bearing the signatures of as many of the friends as possible, begging that he come to America:

We beg to advise that the response to this call was gratifying, and the prayer seems to have been quite generally observed. Signatures were received from all parts of the country, with many words of appreciation and co-operation. The supplication has been duly prepared, signatures attached to the number of more than 850, and the petition is on its way to Abdul-Baha.

The Committee desires to express its appreciation of the hearty response, and if we can in any further way serve the cause of Inter-Assembly Unity, we are at the command of the friends, and can be reached through the Secretary.

Faithfully yours,

Charles Scheffler William C. Dodge
James Carmichael Mirza S. M. Raffie
Charles Currier Paul T. G. Marshall (Since dec'd)

Marie L. Hopper Arnauld Belmont
Mary Lesch Mirza Ahmad Sohrab
Beatrice Davies Frank J. Phelps
Mountfort Mills E. H. Young
Edwin B. Kinney Stanwood Cobb
Roy C. Wilhelm

CHARLES MASON REMEY, JOSEPH H. HANNEN, {{Secretary}},
{{Chairman}}. P. O. Box 192, Washington, D. C.

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 3, p. 8

STAR OF THE WEST

NEWS FROM THE OCCIDENT.

<colstart>
GERMANY.

STUTTGART, GERMANY.--The meetings of the Assembly are not only increasing in number, but also in firmness. All the Bahais are exerting themselves in serving the Cause and a number are engaged in translating the Tablets and the Teachings of the Baha Revelation.

Our Librarian wishes to call the attention of the friends to the library of the Assembly and will gladly respond to all those desiring German literature. Address M. Doring, Bahai Assembly, Konzlei Str. 24 P.

--{{Alma S. Knobloch, Neue Weinsteige 23}}.

UNITED STATES.

BOSTON, MASS.--One of the most delightful evenings the Baha Assembly of Boston has known was that on which the Feast of Naurooz was held on March 21st. Prof. Singh, the distinguished Hindoo professor, with his wife, were guests, and a Persian in Mirza Raffie Esphahani, a Mohammedan, his friend, a, Jew, a Swede and others, made the Feast distinctly one of Unity of Nations and Religions. Mrs. Alice Ives Breed, Chairman of the Feast Committee, presided with dignity and grace at the tables decked with flowers and fruits. Fine music was enjoyed, both vocal and instrumental, kindly furnished by musicians who were friends of some of the Baha'is, and selections from the Bahai literature were read by different members. Altogether forty-nine were present.

The following members have been elected to the Board of Council for the year beginning March 21st:

Chairman, Mr. Harlan F. Ober; Recording Secretary, Miss S. M. Smoot; Corresponding Secretary, Miss Julia Culver; Treasurer, Mr. George E. Ostburg; Librarian, Mrs. George Ostburg, and four directors, Mrs. Helen Campbell, Mrs. Alice Ives Breed, Mr. Alfred E. Lunt and Mrs. W. H. Partridge.

Mr. Alfred E. Lunt has been elected delegate to the Chicago Convention; Miss Grace Robarts and Miss Julia Culver as alternates. --{{Julia Culver, Cor. Sec'y}}.

WASHINGTON, D. C.--The Washington Assembly greatly enjoyed a visit from Miss Grace Robarts, of the Boston Assembly, who spent several days with us recently.

The Feast of Naurooz was given on March 21st, at the home of Mrs. M. C. Hotchkiss, in Kendall Green. Her charming daughters assisted her in dispensing

<colbreak>
graceful hospitality. Eloquent speeches, a beautifully decorated table extending the full length of the room laden with candelabra, floral decorations and a large and interested assembly combined to make this occasion a complete success. Thus the New Year began under most inspiring auspices.

On Wednesday, March 22d, a surprise farewell reception was tendered to Mr. Louis G. Gregory, by the colored believers. More than fifty of these believers and invited guests were present. This was in connection with the regular Wednesday meeting, held at the residence of Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Dyer--the latter is the “Lydia” of the work among the colored people in Washington, her house being always open for the meetings.

Mr. Gregory was given the seat of honor, at the head of the long table, and his chair was surmounted by a horse-shoe of flowers. While refreshments were being served, speeches were made by a number, including Dr. W. B. Evans, Principal of the Armstrong Manual Training School; Judge Gibbs, former U. S. Consul to Madagascar; Professor W. H. H. Hart, of Howard University; Professor G. W. Cook, of Harvard University; Mr. Edward J. Braithwaite; Mr. Duffield; Miss Murrell, of the faculty of Armstrong Manual Training School; Miss Grace Robarts; Mrs. Claudia S. Coles; Mr. Charles Mason Remey; Professor Stanwood Cobb; Mr. and Mrs. Hannen. Mr. Gregory responded in a feeling manner to the good wishes expressed. He sailed from New York, March 25th.
Signatures to the Inter-Assembly Unity Supplication to Abdul-Baha, have been received from all directions, and the supplication has been forwarded in line with the original plan. We take this opportunity of acknowledging many fraternal greetings sent with the slips.

The Washington friends are rejoiced to welcome back Mrs. Fosselman and Mrs. Charles H. Glines, together with her two daughters, Ruth and Helen, who have been absent, the former for several months, the latter more than a year.
{{Joseph H. Hannen.}}

Mrs. Louisa Ruddiman, of Goblesville, Michigan, passed into the fuller life April 4th, while visiting among the friends in Chicago. Self sacrificing and devoted to the Cause, she has unquestionably attained the glorious station promised those who “endure unto the end.”

Word comes to us announcing the death of Mrs. Mary M. F. Miller, Enterprise, Enterprise, Kansas, after a stroke of paralysis.

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 3, p. 9

--PHOTO--

--PERSIAN TEXT--

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 3, p. 10

--PERSIAN TEXT--

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 3, p. 11

--PERSIAN TEXT--

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 3, p. 12

--PERSIAN TEXT--

<cursive>First UniversalRaces Congress
How. General Secretary
Mr G. Spiller
63 South Hill Park
Londong N. W.
England</cursive>

--PERSIAN TEXT--

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 3, p. 13

--PERSIAN TEXT--

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 3, p. 14

--PERSIAN TEXT--

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 3, p. 15

--PERSIAN TEXT--

1800 Belmont Road, Washington, D. C., U.S.A.

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 3, p. 16

brettz9

Vol. 2, No. 4 (part 1)

Postby brettz9 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:22 am

VOL II. MAY 17, 1911. NO.4.

SPECIAL CONVENTION ISSUE

Contents Page

Persian-American Educational Society 2
The Convention at Chicago 3
Tablet to America from Abdul-Baha 6
Record of the Third Annual Convention of Bahai Temple Unity 7
Impressions of the Convention 16
Persian Section 18-24

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 4, p. 1

STAR OF THE WEST
PERSIAN-AMERICAN EDUCATIONAL SOCIETY.

ANNOUNCEMENT OF THE ANNUAL CONFERENCE, JUNE 16-18, 1911, WASHINGTON, D. C.

This Society, which is the first of its kind organized and incorporated in America, will hold the Annual Conference, provided by its Constitution, at Washington, Friday, Saturday and Sunday, June 16, 17 and 18, 1911.

The object of the organization is to bring these two countries together in ties of mutual interests: commercial, educational, moral and intellectual.

It is hoped that the Conference will be attended by people of affairs and public-spirited citizens. You are cordially invited to be present or represented, and correspondence with the Secretary is suggested, concerning any of the following

SPECIAL FEATURES

I. By attending the session of this Conference, to learn of the objects, methods and plans of the Society.
II. All who will attend, or be represented, should notify the Secretary of their intention by June 10.
III. Delegates and representatives from other associations, commercial, educational and industrial institutions and bodies will be heartily welcomed, and if the response justifies such action a special session will be arranged for the expression of their opinions.
IV. At the conference, the aims and objects of the Persian American Educational Society will be discussed by various speakers.
V. Means for the establishment of closer relations between Persia and America will be developed.
VI. A new and broader Constitution, framed by a Special Committee, will be presented for adoption.
VII. Reports of work done during the past year will be submitted and a program for the activities of the coming year will be outlined.
VIII. As Persia has just engaged the services of five American financial advisers to organize the fiscal system of that Empire, this makes it apparent that in the near future these two countries will be brought much closer together from every practical standpoint.
The usefulness of this Society in the establishment of commercial and industrial relations can scarcely be measured at this important juncture.
IX. With the establishment of a strong Constitutional Government in Persia, the enactment of just and beneficial laws by the National Parliament, the encouragement of friendly relations and the undertaking of various industrial and commercial projects, there is a vast and limitless field for American capitalists and manufacturers, as well as boundless opportunities for educational propaganda, and this Society will be able to assist materially all interested inquirers.
The foregoing, together with the fact that this is the first Conference of its kind ever held, indicates the great importance of the gathering, and your attendance or representation is again urged. WILLIAM HOAR, {{President}};
MIRZA AHMAD SOHRAB, {{TREASURER}}; JOS. H. HANNEN, {{SECRETARY}}.
General offices, 1800 Belmont Road, Washington, D. C.

Since the last printed report, $300 has been sent to Persia for scholarships, thus making the total $1,000; also the following scholarships in the P. A. E. S. have been renewed for another year. The officers feel particularly gratified in noting that practically all of the scholarships of the first year have been renewed, thus indicating that the movement has already assumed permanence as an instrumentality of good:

No. 8, Miss Charlotte Segler, New York City.
No. 18, Miss Mary Lesch, Chicago, Ill.
No. 21, Mr. L. W. Foster and Miss L. James, Chicago, Ill.
No. 20, Mr. Lars Johnson, Chicago, Ill.
No. 23, Miss Gertrude Buikema, Miss P. Casselberry and Mrs. Eva Webster Russell, of Chicago, Ill.
No. 24, Mrs. Cecilia Harrison, Mrs. Emily Olsen and Mr. J. W. Woodworth, of Chicago, Ill.
No. 26, Mrs. S. Scheffler and Mr. Charles Scheffler, of Chicago, Ill.
No. 29, Mr. J. Nelson, Mrs. Ida Brush and Mrs. B. Grayson, of Chicago, Ill.
No. 40, Miss M. Billet, of New York City.
No. 28, Mrs. Jessie Bonds, of Chicago, Ill.
No. 42, Mr. John D. Bosch, of Geyserville, Cal.
No. 30, Mr. J. E. Latimer, of Portland, Ore.
No. 31, Portland Bahai Assembly, of Portland, Ore.
A new scholarship is reported, that of the Bahai Assembly of Spokane, Wash., which is No. 64.
JOSEPH H. HANNEN, Secretary.

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 4, p. 2

SPECIAL CONVENTION ISSUE

STAR OF THE WEST
Vol. II Chicago (May 17, 1911) Azamat No. 4

THE CONVENTION AT CHICAGO.

The Temple Unity Convention of 1911 was most auspiciously inaugurated by a Unity Feast, given by the Chicago Assembly Saturday evening, April 29th, at 125 N. Wabash Avenue. Mrs. Foster, Mrs. Kirchner and Mrs. Bara were the Committee in charge of the arrangements for the Feast, and Mr. Charles H. Greenleaf presided over the exercises. About 135 were present.
The foregoing is a brief summary of the facts concerning a most wonderful meeting, in which the spirit of unity was so strongly manifested that, as from a great spiritual dynamo, all who were so fortunate as to be able to participate received a double portion of the Bounty of the Almighty! Entering a spacious and perfectly arranged dining hail, the guest beheld a scene of beauty which was a fitting introduction to the good things to follow, Two long tables, one on either side of the room, with smaller ones placed in a third row between them, were gracefully decorated with growing plants and cut flowers. All remarked upon the newness of the hall, which in fact had just been opened, thus providing for the Bahais a fresh and beautiful environment, typical of the effect of the Teachings upon the hearts of the believers. One instinctively went back to the days of the Master, nineteen centuries ago, when His disciples were sent out to claim for their Lord the steed upon which no man had ridden before; or to the parable of the new wine and the new bottles. Truly, in this day """Old things have passed away, and all things have become new.+++ This thoughtfully-provided environment was enjoyed by all. However, the spirit of Baha' would have glorified any scene! As the visitors from all parts of America assembled, it was a perfect joy to see them embrace and greet each other like members of a family who had been separated for a long time. It mattered not that most of them had met but once or twice before, while others had never seen the face of the loved friend. The unity of the Cause was a tie closer than that of blood. In the words of a brother in India, it was apparent that we had always known each other, but had just had the opportunity to become acquainted. Joyous laughter resounded, and sometimes the eyes showed the moisture which betrays the highest ecstacy. Could there have been another such meeting in Chicago? Surely not. O, that all the ends might have participated; but the absent ones were in our thoughts and prayers.
Mr. Greenleaf called the meeting to order with a few well-chosen words of welcome. Then followed a program: Miss Mary Lesch read from the Words of BAHA'O'LLAH; Miss Ellerman sang very effectively """The Holy City;+++ Mrs. Grace Foster read more of the Holy Utterances; Mr. Percy Woodcock presented some of the Teachings imparted to him by Abdul-Baha upon the occasion of his recent visit to Ramleh; Mr. Hetherington, of Montreal, read a Tablet; Miss Ellerman again sang, her selection being happy and contributing materially to the harmony of the evening; Mr. Hannen read a Tablet* just revealed by Abdul-Baha to the believers in America, and which had been translated to he presented at this gathering; Mr. Currier read more of the Words of Life, and Mr. Edgar F. Waite sang the """Benediction+++, composed by Mrs. Waite, the friends joining in the chorus. This closed the formal portion of the evening, and ushered in the material Feast. The ladies were quite busy for awhile, and tables and plates were soon laden with viands. Sandwiches, olives, pickles, coffee, ice cream and cake were bountifully provided and heartily enjoyed. During this portion of the evening a number of the visiting delegates presented greetings and spoke in a happy vein. First, a message from Honolulu was read; then the following were called upon by the Chairman, and responded with a greeting, a Tablet, or a brief teaching: Mr. Eardley, who presented the salutations of the Baltimore Assembly; Mr Roy C. Wilhelm, brief but very mach to the point, as always, telling of his recent trip throughout the country; Miss Robarts, of the Boston Assembly, with an eloquent word; Mr. Albert H. Hall, of Minneapolis, who stirred the hearts of the listeners with the power of his earnest appeal for unity; Mrs. Finch, of Seattle, who spoke for the Pacific Coast; Mr. Remey, of Washington, responding with a Tablet; Mrs. Parmerton, of Cincinnati, with a well-chosen and inspiring talk. Mirza

---
* See page 6.

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 4, p. 3

STAR OF THE WEST

Basheer, of Valparaiso, Ind., presented an epitome of the Bahai Principles in the three words, Love, Peace, Unity. Mrs. Cooper, of Fruitport, Mich., Mr. Mountfort Mills, of New York City, Mrs. Ditmars, of Spokane, Washington, and Mr. Bernard M. Jacobsen, of Kenosha, Wis., typified the unity of those far removed in point of distance, and each brought a cheery message to refresh the souls of the listeners. Mrs. Coles; of Washington, thrilled with ringing utterances; Mr. Pary, of New York Mills, Minn., expressed his joy in being again present; Mr. Woodcock, of New York, shared more of his experiences in the recent visit with Abdul-Baha, described aptly as """Six Weeks in Heaven+++. Mr. Hannen, of Washington, D. C., Mr. Arthur Dealy, of Fair Hope, Ala., and Mrs. Bagg, of Muskegon, Mich., closed the list of speakers, each bringing a fragrant greeting of love. As the friends dispersed to their homes, reluctantly leaving the happy scene, the delegates were presented with flowers, the wonderful sweetness of trailing arbutus coming from Fruitport, Mich., and blossoms from dear Mrs. Dealy, of Fair Hope, Ala., bringing their own assurances of loving thoughtfulness on behalf of absent ones.
Surer there were no more joyous merrymakers on the street cars than the believers, whose beaming faces were in striking contrast with those returning from the futile pursuit of pleasure in material ways, or the chase of the elusive gold. Many must have wished for the joy of the Bahais.
The Sunday morning meeting, held in Corinthian Hall, Masonic Temple, was another wonderful and blessed gathering. The spacious hail was crowded. It seemed that the spirit of the Unity Feast was present, as the friends gathered again and greeted each other like the members of a family. Mrs. Holmes opened the exercises with a selection on the organ; Mr. Windust, the Musical Director, announced that upon this occasion the audience was to be the choir, and soon the strains of a Bahai hymn were resounding. Mr. Mountfort Mills presided and read a Tablet and Prayer. Another song was followed by a reading by Mrs. Parmerton. Then Mr. Remey presented briefly a report of his trip around the world with Mr. Howard Struven. In a most interesting manner he outlined the four months spent between Chicago and the Pacific coast, visiting the various Assemblies; then from San Francisco to Honolulu, where several meetings were held; to Tokyo, Japan, where, under the direction of Professor M. Barakatullah, a large audience was addressed at the Y. M. C. A.; thence to Shanghai, China, to Rangoon and Kunjangoon, Burma; to Baroda, India, where the assemblage addressed was called together by the Maharajah; to Bombay, India, where numerous meetings were held; to Haifa, where time was spent with Abdul-Baha and representatives of five of the great religions of the world were present, i. e., Jews, Zoroastrians, Christians, Moslems and Buddhists. From Haifa they returned to America. A song composed by Mrs. E. Emma Holmes, and now sung for the first time, was ably rendered by Mr. Mills. Words of Abdul-Baha were next read by Dr. Pauline Barton-Peeke, of Cleveland, Ohio. Then Mr. Percy F. Woodcock, of New York, shared the spiritual wealth of his wonderful experiences, dwelling particularly upon the teachings imparted on the recent visit to Abdul-Baha at Ramleh. He was given, this time, a message of joy and peace to the believers. The particular thought which he developed was Maturity. A wonderful teaching, given by a great Oriental Bahai, was presented, outlining the seven props which man needs on his spiritual journey from savagery, polytheism and idolatry to monotheism and the worship of God in Spirit and in Truth. These props are then to be discarded and man is to find the several offices filled from within. They are: 1. The Priest. 2. The Lawgiver. 3. The Prophet. 4. The Savior. 5. The Sacrifice. 6. The Divine Incarnation. 7. Heaven. Hidden Words were read in support of the presence of each of these within. Mr. Woodcock closed with two Oriental stories; one told by Abdul-Baha is particularly impressive. It concerns a rivalry between Greek and Japanese artists, at some period of history. This competition became so keen that an opportunity was given to these artists to compare their skill. A gallery was provided and the rivals were to decorate opposite sides. A sliding scaffolding concealed the work of one party from the other. Finally, the day of the test came. The king and his party inspected first the work of the Japanese, who had most wonderfully depicted figures, scenes and objects on their side of the wall, in a manner which seemed superlatively great. When the other side was unveiled it developed that the Greeks had devoted their time to polishing their side, and it was so perfectly done that the pictures from the opposite side were mirrored therein and depicted even more exquisitely. So we are to polish our mirrors in this great Day. The singing of the Temple Song, by the entire audience, closed a memorable occasion.

In the afternoon nearly fifty of the friends visited the Mashrak-el-Azkar grounds, despite the uncertainty of the weather. The evening brought large numbers together again, at the hospitable home of Mr. and Mrs. George Loeding, in Perry Street, where the 19-day Tea of the Woman's Assembly of Teaching was given. This proved to be a most delightful opportunity for further social intercourse, binding the hearts together with new ties. A day more full of joy it would be hard to realize, and one can better imagine the condition

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 4, p. 4

STAR OF THE WEST

of heaven with such an example of Unity, Peace and Love as was afforded us by the Chicago friends and typified by the visiting delegates.
The closing and public session of the Bahai Temple Unity Convention of 1911 was held in the Drill Hall, 17th floor, Masonic Temple Building, Tuesday evening, May 2. The spacious assembly room was well filled with delegates, friends and visitors. There were quite a number of the latter, who listened with every indication of great interest to the presentation of the history, aims and some of the practical workings of the Bahai Movement.
Mr. Albert H. Hall presided and tersely or eloquently, as the occasion suggested, epitomized the talks, linking together the various presentations.
After an address of welcome Mrs. Claudia S. Coles, of Washington, D. C., was introduced with the statement that she would give """The Message+++. Mr. Wilhelm, of New York City, was then presented to the audience as a practical business man. He followed this line with the timely interpolation of two poems.
Miss Grace Robarts, the delegate of the Boston Assembly, gave a greeting and an outlook of the Cause, gained from recent traveling. Particularly interesting was her recountal of the exchange of messages recently occurring between the Archbishop of Canterbury and Abdul-Baha. The former, a friend of Miss Buckton, of London, sent this message: ''Take him my loving greeting and say that we are all one and the same behind the veil.+++ To which Abdul-Baha replied: """Take my loving greeting to the Arch-bishop and say, yes, and the veil is very thin and it will vanish quite.+++
Mr. Hetherington, the Montreal delegate, gave a most interesting account of his connection with the Bahai Movement. Although introduced as a typical Englishman, he displayed great warmth and said that, although this was his first visit to Chicago, he felt perfectly at home and wanted to stay here always.
Mr. Mountfort Mills sang again, by request, the song composed by Mrs. Holmes, entitled """The Comforter+++.
Mr. Edwin Woodcock, the newly appointed Chairman of the Commission on Publication, was next introduced to present the claims of his Commission. He tersely and effectively outlined the necessity of everyone working aid inspired all present to follow his example and find our best field of action, as the best means of expressing our belief and enthusiasm.
Mr. Joseph H. Hannen, one of the Washington delegates, presented a teaching, showing by the scriptures and the Hidden Words, the Holy Utterances of this Revelation to be the Water of Life which the Christ promised to His disciples that He would drink anew with them in the Kingdom of the Father.
Mr. Albert R. Windust sang """The Earth is the Lord's.+++
Mrs. Ida Finch, of Seattle introduced as the """Mother+++ of the Cause in her section, gave a little talk, outlining the activities of the Assembly on """Beacon Hill,+++ and its far reaching ramifications.
Dr. Pauline Barton-Peeke, of Cleveland O., after a few words of appreciation, read one of the Holy Utterances, a Prayer.
Mr. Percy Woodcock was introduced as the closing speaker. He shared more of the treasures of the Kingdom, obtained so recently. This time his theme was our responsibility; that the joys of the Revelation are ours only to the extent that we earn them, and, on the other hand, the Truth will sear our very souls if we fail to measure up to our responsibilities.
With a note of harmony in song, the Third Annual Convention of the Bahai Temple Unity was declared adjourned.

JOSEPH H. HANNEN.
----
On May 3d it was the pleasure of the Kenosha Wis., Assembly to have a number of the delegates from the Chicago Convention visit them. Among those who came were: Mr. Joseph H. Hannen, Washington, D. C.; Mr. E. H. Eardley, Baltimore; Mrs. Annie L. Parmerton, Cincinnati; Mrs. Ida A. Finch, Seattle; Mrs. Cora Ditmars, Spokane; Mrs. Claudia S. Coles, Washington, D. C., and Mrs. Luella Kirchner, Chicago; also some of the friends from Racine and Mrs. Charlotte Morton, of Milwaukee. The evening was spent in listening to addresses from the various visitors, interspersed with musical selections rendered by the children's orchestra. Afterward the Bahai Sunday school children recited their lessons, which proved to be an event of the evening, the delegates expressing their pleasure at their work. Refreshments were served and, altogether, it was a gathering long to be remembered by those present.

BERNARD M. JACOBSEN.

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 4, p. 5

STAR OF THE WEST

TABLET TO THE AMERICAN FRIENDS FROM ABDU'L BAHA.
Translate this Tablet in great haste, and with its original, print and spread.

({{Signed}}) ABDUL BAHA ABBAS.

Through Mirza Ahmad Sohrab--Upon him be BAHA'O'LLAH!--To the friends of God and the maid-servants of the Merciful:

UPON THEM BE BAHA'O'LLAH-EL-ABHA!

HE IS GOD!

{{{O ye friends and the maidservants of the Merciful!}}}

When the deposed Sultan of the Ottoman Empire, Abdul Hamid, arose in tyranny and oppression, Abdul-Baha was incarcerated in the prison of Acca and was surrounded with the utmost surveillance of police, detectives and men of the Secret Service. The door of communication was entirely closed and the means of correspondence was prevented. If any soul approached the house he was searched; nay, rather, threatened with dire persecution. The affairs reached to such a degree that, not being satisfied with these restrictions, the Sultan sent an oppressive investigating Commission, so that with all kinds of wiles, simulations, slander and fabrication of false stories they might fasten some guilt upon Abdul-Baha in order that he might crucify Him, or cast Him into the sea, or banish Him into the heart of the distant and unknown Sahara of Feyzan (Africa). That oppressive investigating Commission exercised its rights with tyranny and passed the sentence that Abdul-Baha merited all kinds of persecution. Finally they decided to send Him to Feyzan, and when they cabled this decision to the palace of Abdul Hamid, an answer was received that the matter of Feyzan was approved by the Imperial Order. Then that unjust investigating Commission returned to Constantinople. They were in the midst of the sea when the cannon of God boomed forth before the palace of Abdul Hamid, a charge of dynamite was exploded, a number of people were killed, Abdul Hamid fled into the interior of his residence, difficulties and trials surrounded him, and incidents and events developed rapidly. Therefore he did not find the opportunity to oppress Abdul-Baha; public revolution was started, which ended in his deposition, and the Hand of Divine Power released the neck of Abdul-Baha from the chains of the prison of Joseph and the fetters and manacles were placed around the unblessed neck of Abdul Hamid. Be ye admonished, O ye people of insight! Now Abdul-Baha, with the greatest power, has hastened to the country of Egypt from the land of prison. Praise be to God, that through the Bounty and Providence of the Blessed Perfection, no sooner did he land in Alexandria than the Word of God was promoted and the melody of the Kingdom of ABHA was heard. All the newspapers wrote innumerable articles. Some gave the utmost praise; others raised a great cry, saying: """The arrival of this personage in this land will shake the pillars of Religion and will shatter to pieces ancient customs and conventions. He attracts every one he meets and when he loosens his tongue in any meeting, it creates faith in the hearts of the deniers.+++ The papers are still writing detailed articles and will continue to do so.

Now the friends and the maid-servants in America have written innumerable letters and all of them are pleading that Abdul-Baha make a trip to that country. Their supplications and entreaties are insistent. In view of the differences among the friends and the lack of unity among the maid-servants of the Merciful, how can Abdul-Baha hasten to those parts? Is this possible? No, by God!

If the friends and the maid-servants of the Merciful long for the visit of Abdul-Baha, they must immediately remove from their midst differences of opinion and be engaged in the practice of infinite love and unity. No Bahai must open his lips in blaming another one, he must regard backbiting as the greatest sin of humanity, for it is clearly revealed in all the Tablets of BAHA'O'LLAH that backbiting and faultfinding are the fiendish instruments and suggestions of Satan and the destroyers of the foundation of man. A believer will not blame any soul among the strangers, how much less against the friends. Faultfinding and backbiting are the characteristics of the weak minds and not the friends. Self exaltation is the attribute of the stranger and not of the Beloved. It is our hope that the believers and the maid-servants of the Merciful in America may become the cause of the union of the East and the West, and unfurl the Standard of the Oneness of the Realm of Humanity. Now, we observe that strangeness, lack of unity and the utmost difference exists among the friends and the maid-servants of the Merciful. Under such a condition, how can they arise to guide the people of the world and establish union and harmony between the nations of the earth? His Highness Christ, addressing His disciples, said: """Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt hath lost its savour, wherewith shall it be salted?+++

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 4, p. 6

STAR OF THE WEST

O ye friends and maid-servants of the Merciful! If ye are yearning for my meeting, and if in reality ye are seeking my visit, ye must close the doors of difference and open the gates of affection, love and friendship. Ye must pulsate as one heart, and throb as one spirit. You must be like the waves, though they are innumerable they constitute the all-encircling sea.

O ye friends and maid-servants of the Merciful! Praise be to God, ye are the fish of one ocean, the birds of one rose-garden, the trees of one orchard and the flowers of one paradise. Then why this difference? Why this lack of harmony? Wherefore this condition?

Verily, verily, I say unto you, were it not for this difference amongst you, the inhabitants of America in all those regions would have, by now, been attracted to the Kingdom of God, and would have constituted themselves your helpers and assisters. Is it meet that you sacrifice this most glorious Bounty for worthless imaginations? No, by God! Should you reflect for one moment, you shall become enabled to destroy instantly the foundation of this difference by absolutely refraining from backbiting aad faultfinding amongst yourselves. Adorn with infinite love and concord the assemblage of beatitude, bring about the meeting of happiness, establish the banquet of the oneness of the realm of humanity, loosen your tongues in praising each other, and then anticipate the presence of Abdul-Baha in your midst.
Aside from all these considerations, some of the nakazeens have come secretly amongst you and are expressing their firmness in the Covenant and with all kinds of intrigues and strategies are creating disorder and calamities, so that ye might be deprived of the Lights of the Divine Testament and subjected to the darkness of violation.
Is it worthy of you to be engaged with differences amongst you and thereby enabling the nakazeens to spread a noose and chase such firm believers as you are?
I beg of God to confirm you in union and concord that you may become the cause of the oneness of the kingdom of humanity. Live and act in accord with the Divine Teachings, be abstracted from all the attachments of the human world, characterized with merciful characteristics, release yourselves from the nether world, become heavenly souls, spiritual beings and the angels of Paradise.

Upon ye be Baha-el-ABHA!
({{SIGNED}}) ABDUL-BAHA ABBAS.
Translated by Mirza Ahmad Sohrab, April 28th, 1911.
----
RECORD OF THIRD ANNUAL CONVENTION OF BAHAI TEMPLE UNITY.
{{Corinthian Hall, 17th Floor, Masonic Temple, Chicago, Ill.}}
MORNING SESSION, MONDAY, MAY 1, 1911.

The Convention was opened by Mr. Mountfort Mills, President of Bahai Temple Unity, who extended greetings and said:
"""As the years go by we realize more and more the greatness of this work and the greatness of the power that is behind it. Let us unite a few moments in silent prayer in gratitude to God, that we are privileged to come here to take part, each of us, in this, the greatest work of the ages. Let us unite in silent prayer in gratitude and supplication that we may be guided by the Spirit of Truth in our endeavors to further the work of God.+++
The commune of silence was followed by Mr. Mills reading the following Tablet, revealed by Abdul-Baha:

HE IS GOD!

O my God! O my God! We are servants who have sincerely turned our faces into Thy Grand Face; severed ourselves from all else save thee in this Great Day and are assembled together in this glorious meeting of one accord and desire, and unanimous in thought to promulgate Thy Word amid Thy creatures.

O my Lord! 0 my Lord! Suffer us to be signs of guidance, standards of Thy Manifest Religion throughout the world, servants of Thy Great Covenant--O our Exalted Lord appearances of Thy Oneness in Thy Kingdom, the El-ABHA, and stars which dawn forth unto all regions.
O Lord, make us as seas rolling with the waves of Thy Great Abundance, rivers flowing from the mountains of Thy Glorious Kingdom, pure fruits on the Tree of Thy illustrious Cause, plants refreshed and moved by the Breeze of Thy Gift in Thy wonderful vineyard.
O Lord, cause our souls to depend upon the signs of Thy Oneness, our hearts to be dilated with the Bounties of Thy Singleness, so that we may become united as are ripples on a waving sea; become harmonized as are the rays which shine forth from a

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 4, p. 7

STAR OF THE WEST

brilliant light; so that our thoughts, opinions and feelings become as one reality from which the spirit of accord may be diffused throughout all regions.
Verily, Thou art the Beneficent, the Bestower! Verily, Thou art the Giver, the Mighty, the Loving, the Merciful!
({{Signed}}) ABDUL-BARA ABBAS.

Mr. Mills announced the first business to come before the Convention was the election of a Chairman.

On the nomination of Miss Robarts, seconded by Mr. Hannen, Mr. Albert H. Hall, of Minneapolis, was elected Chairman of the Convention. Assuming the chair, among other things, he said:
"""By God's guidance, we have come to this Convention from many different parts. What we are to do, we do not yet know. I cannot outline to you its mission. But we all realize that the Unity has outgrown its swaddling clothes. We must henceforth devote ourselves seriously, unreservedly to the business divine entrusted to us, that we may allow nothing to divert us from the task originally undertaken by us, and that we take aright our every step. Not the guidance of our worldly wisdom do we seek; that may only be our aid. Our guidance and leadership we seek from God. Clear and unmistakable has been that guidance to us. Out of shadow and confusion we have been led into light, unity and peace. In the great account our results will be found. God knew our resources and has been putting us for a sojourn in the 'wilderness' to prepare us for His work. As regularly as of old came the providence of manna, so about $5,000.00 every six months has come into our treasury to meet our accruing needs, as if measured down to us by the decimals of the Infinite. Our obligations have been promptly met, our credit is good, our faith is assured. We must now prepare for the larger tasks before us, for the work in our hands will grow. It is not ours; it is His.+++
On nomination of Mr. Hannen, seconded by Mr. Mills and unanimously carried, Mr. Bernard M. Jacobsen was elected secretary of the Convention.
On motion of Mrs. Parmerton, seconded by Dr. Pauline Barton-Peeke, Miss Gertrude Buikema was elected assistant secretary of the Convention.
Mr. Mountfort Mills presented the greetings and regrets of Miss Annie T. Boylan, delegate from the New York Assembly, who was unable to be present. Also, those of Mrs. Charles L. Lincoln, of the Brooklyn Assembly, and the greetings aad salutations of the Unity to these delegates were ordered extended to them.
The secretary was directed to call the roll of the Assemblies, which the delegates present responded with greetings and reported for each Assembly. The following Assemblies and delegates responded upon such roll call:

New York City and Borough of Manhattan Mr. Mountfort Mills.
Mr. Percy F. Woodcock.
Montreal, Canada Mr. Walter F. Hetherington.
Boston, Mass. (Alternate) Miss Grace Robarts.
Philadelphia and Pittsburg, Penn. (Alternate) Miss Elizabeth Stewart.
Washington, D. C. Mr. Joseph H. Hannen.
Miss Mary E. Little.
(Alternate) Mrs. Claudia, Stuart Coles.
(Alternate) Mr. Charles Mason Remey.
Milwaukee, Wis. Mrs. Charlotte Morton.
Spokane, Wash. Mrs. Cora Ditmars.
Cleveland, Ohio Dr. Pauline Barton-Peeke.
Muskegon Mich. Mrs. Helen Bagg.
Fruitport, Mich. Mrs. Eva Cooper.
(Friend) Mr. John Dermo.
(Friend) Mrs. Lucy Van Dyke.
Fairhope, Ala. Mr. Arthur Dealy.
Baltimore, Md. Mr. E. H. Eardley.
New York Mills, Minn. Mr. Olaf Pary.
Chicago, Ill. Mr. Arthur S. Agnew.
Mrs. Corinne True.
Ithaca, N. Y. (Alternate) Mr. Roy C. Wilhelm.
Seattle, Wash. Mrs. Ida A. Finch.
Minneapolis, Minn. Mr. Albert H. Hall.
(Alternate) Dr. Homer S. Harper.
Genoa Junction, Wis. Mrs. Emma Hargis.
Cincinnati, Ohio Mrs. Annie L. Parmerton.
Anaconda, Mont. Mrs. L. Ellsworth Jones.
Rockford, Ill. Mr. Willard H. Ashton.
Kenosha, Wis. Mr. Bernard M. Jacobsen.

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 4, p. 8

STAR OF THE WEST

The following delegates were absent:

New York City and Borough of Manhattan, N. Y. Miss Annie T. Boylan.
(Alternate) Mrs. Charles L. Lincoln.
Boston, Mass. Mr. Alfred E. Lunt.
(Alternate) Miss Julia Culver.
Johnstown, N. Y. (Alternate) Mrs. Harriet Ruport.
Pittsburg, Penn. Mr. Hilbert E. Dahl.
Buffalo, N. Y. Mrs. Emily C. Woodworth.
(Alternate) Dr. F. S. Blood.
Racine, Wis. Mr. Christ Olson.
Jersey City and North Hudson, N. J. Mr. William H. Hoar.
Baltimore, Md. (Alternate) Mr. Howard C. Struven.
Ithaca, N. Y. Mrs. W. E. House.
Bangor and Lawrence, Mich. Mr. John F. Hay.
Portland, Ore. Miss Anna Wold.
(Alternate) Mrs. Hattie Latimer.

Mrs. Cora Ditmars, in responding for Spokane reported the serious illness of Mrs. L. A. Lehmann.
The Chairman directed Mr. Hannen to read and the Convention followed in the prayer for healing for Mrs. Lehmann and the secretary and Mrs. Ditmars were requested to also extend to Mr. Lehmann the sympathy and greetings of the friends.
The letter of greeting from Mrs. A. P. Sanford, of Muskegon, Mich. was read.
The letter of greeting of Mr. William H. Hoar, delegate of Fanwood, N. J., Assembly, who was unable to attend on account of illness, was read.
The secretary was instructed to extend the greetings of the Unity to the Newark and Hoboken Assemblies, through Mr. Hoar.
In responding for the Washington, D. C. Assembly, Mr. Joseph H. Hannen said: """In this place, one feels like the two disciples at the time of the Transfiguration that '''It is good to be here\ One is also inclined to suggest, as did they: '''Let us build tents and stay here\ But like those disciples we must go out presently and carry with us the impetus of the spirit inbreathed here, that for our being here we may be able in all future time to do better work.+++
In responding for The Chicago Assembly, Mrs. Corinne True said: """When Abdul-Baha was asked what would best promote the Cause and bind together the friends, he replied: '''First, the character of the teachers, and, second, the work for the Mashrak-el-Azkar. The teachers must so live that their deeds will teach the people, even if they do not teach by word of mouth. The teachers are of the first importance; their lives must be examples.\+++
Oakland, Cal., Assembly sent its love and greetings to the friends, and its regret at not having a delegate present, but hoped to be represented next year.
Responding for Seattle Assembly, Mrs. Ida A. Finch read a tablet from Abdul-Baha, from which the following is a quotation:
"""Through the boundless Favor, I hope that in Seattle by the endeavor of the beloved of God, certain souls may arise who may prove a radiant lamp to the world of humanity and merciful spirit to the phenomenal body; that they may be the cause of the purification of souls and the means of sanctification of hearts; that they may know this mortal world as fleeting shadow and call the rest and repose, the pleasure and blessing, the wealth and sovereignty of the earth, the waves of the sea of imagination; that they may arise in such wise to live by the Divine Teachings and Exhortations of the Blessed Beauty as to sparkle even like the morning star from the horizon of holiness.+++
She also quoted from a letter from one of the friends in Seattle, the following:
"""I take this way of talking to you as you speed your way over the vast unbroken waste on your trip to an oasis of spiritual life. You will be nearer to us in spirit by the necessary strain of our imagination to keep in touch with you. Drink deeply of the cup of life for us and we will try to be emptied of all else ere you return, to be refilled.+++
Delegates who had recently visited the Portland Assembly made report of the good work and of the unity prevailing there.
The secretary was directed to send to that Assembly the greetings of the Unity.
Announcement was made of the serious illness of Mrs. L. W. Foster. The Convention united in the prayer for healing for her.
The Convention adjourned for noon recess.

AFTERNOON SESSION.

Mr. Bernard M. Jacobsen, secretary of Bahai Temple Unity, presented a report covering in detail the work of the Executive Board and the accomplishment of the Temple Unity during the year. A brief summary thereof only is here inserted:

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 4, p. 9

brettz9

Vol. 2, No. 4 (part 2)

Postby brettz9 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:24 am

STAR OF THE WEST

"""During the year all conveyances and legal steps have been consummated by which the streets ard alleys embraced in the Temple site have been vacated and title vested in the Temple Unity. The direction line of Sheridan Road has been changed, the boundary lines of the site enlarged and made more symmetrical, and the pending negotiations between the Unity and the Village Board of Wilmette and the Drainage Board of the Sanitary District of Cook County have been carried forward to favorable conclusions. The order of the Village Board for a sidewalk about the site, which would have required a thousand dollars to construct, has been considerably postponed after a conference with the Village Board. This will save the waste and inconvenience of constructing permanent sidewalk before grading and other work upon the site is further advanced. We acknowledge most considerate and fair treatment from the officers of the Village Board.
"""The appeal to the friends for funds has brought generous response, so that all of our obligations have been met and our immediate needs supplied. In anticipation that we might not have sufficient money to meet the maturing payment upon the site, Mrs. Goodall generously advanced $2,000.00, but when the payment fell due our treasury was prepared to meet the payment and it was not necessary to use the generous loan from Mrs. Goodall.
"""She has generously replaced that money in the treasury to be used in acquiring additional land as soon as we may do so upon fair terms.
"""A fisherman who moved a hut upon our site, and whose presence occasioned some solicitude, lest his purpose was to acquire squatter's rights, has disavowed such purpose and has been allowed to remain as our tenant by agreement of lease.
"""It is desirable that we obtain ownership or control of the lots lying to the east of Sheridan Road and between the site and the lake shore. We are not yet in sufficient funds to warrant undertaking the purchase of these lots and the price has thus far been excessive. We hope to be able to acquire these lots, simply to control the outlook, at reasonable terms, during the coming year. If this cannot be done we hope to interest the officers of the Village of Wilmette in the project of acquiring these lots for public use and for park purposes. Our only purpose in acquiring them would be to devote them wholly to public use without restriction, and if the price set upon them by the owners prohibits us from doing this work we shall gladly unite with public officers seeking to serve the public welfare by acquiring the lands for the same public use.
"""Our attorney Mr. I. T. Greenacre, has rendered much painstaking work for the Unity during the past year. The title to our site and all legal matters in connection with it have had his constant care. The year has been one of preparation; harmony and the fullest co-operation have existed in all the work. With new zeal we must now complete the purchase by the prompt payment of all the remaining debt on the site, protect our present site against obstruction at the East and begin the gathering of funds for the early commencement of work upon the Temple Building.+++
Mrs. True, financial secretary, presented the following report:
"""Total amount received from beginning of the fiscal year to April 29, 1911, $10,401.59. This amount was received from ninety-nine different cities.* Last year contributions were received from sixty different cities.
"""When Mr. Remey and Mr. Struven reached Acca in their trip around the world, Abdul-Baha gave Mr. Remey a sum of money in gold pieces to spend for his comfort in traveling from Acca to America. Upon his arrival in this country Mr. Remey, who had carefully guarded Abdul Baha's gift, sent the gold pieces to Chicago for the Mashrak-el-Azkar. The friends throughout the country, desiring to possess the coins, purchased them at five dollars apiece, thus retaining them as souvenirs and netting the fund $100.00.+++
---
* {{Alabama}}: Fairhope. {{California}}: Bakersfield, Glendale, Los Angeles, Oakland, Pasadena, San Francisco, Tropico. {{Colorado}}: Denver. {{Connecticut}}: Mansfield Center, New Haven. {{District ot Columbia}}: Washington. {{Florida}}: Fernandina, Quay. {{Idaho}}: Lewiston, Tahoe. {{Illinois}}: Chicago, Clyde, Dixon, Hartland, Harvard, Moline, Rockford, Western Springs. {{Kansas}}: Enterprise. {{Maine}}: Kittery. {{Maryland}}: Baltimore, Silver Springs. {{Massachusetts}: Boston, Malden, North Adams, Westfield. {{Michigan}}: Bangor, Fruitport, Goblesviile, Grand Rapids, Muskegon, Provemont. {{Minnesota}}: Minneapolis, New York Mills, St. Paul. {{Mississippi}}: Waveland. {{Missouri}}: St. Louis. {{Montana}}: Anaconda. {{New Jersey}}: Atlantic City, Bayonne, Dumont, East Orange, Englewood, Fanwood, Jersey City, Montclair, Newark. {{New York}}: Brooklyn, Buffalo, Clinton, Cortland, Hudson, Ithaca, Johnstown, New York City, North Hudson, Oswego, Pavilion, Utica. {{Ohio}}: Akron, Cincinnati, Cleveland. {{Oregon}}: Portland. {{Pennsylvania}}: Philadelphia, Pittsburg. {{Utah}}: Salt Lake City. {{Vermont}}: Newport. {{Virginia}}: Hanover, Sumerduck. {{Washington}}: Clarkston, Omak, Seattle, Spokane, Tacoma, Turk, Walla Walla. {{Wisconsin}}: Geneva Lake, Genoa Junction, Kenosha Milwaukee, Racine, Thorpe. {{Hawaiian Islands}}: Honolulu. {{Canada}}: Montreal, Winnipeg. {{England}}: Brighton (Sussex), Cornwall. {{France}}: Dinan (Brittany) Paris. {{Germany}}: Berlin, Stuttgart. {{Persia}}: Teheran. {{Syria}}: Haifa.

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 4, p. 10

STAR OF THE WEST

Mr. Arthur S. Agnew, treasurer, made his annual report as follows:

{{Receipts}}.
Balance on hand, convention 1910 $5,709.46
Received since convention--contributions 10,401.59
Received in interest $57.00
Less exchange 5.00
$16,163.05

{{Disbursements}}.
Paid on land $10,000.00
Interest 1,200.00
Assessments--paving Linden Ave 256.20
Printing reports, etc. 63.17
Rent for convention 1910 70.00
Plowing ground 50.00
Map of new street location 10.00
Fencing alley 5.00
Secretary's incidental expenses 35.00
Guaranty policy, escrow contract and filng account charging position Sheridan Drive and vacating alley 329.40
Balance on hand $3,704.68

{{Comparative Statement}}.

Received at time of convention 1909 from Bahai Temple Fund--land $2,000.00
Cash 3,666.44
$5,666.44

Received 1909-1910 from East $7,092.85
Received 1909-1910 from America 7,638.66
$14.731.51
Received 1910-1911 from East $1,190.83
Received 1910-1911 from America 9,262.76
$30,851.54
Disbursements 1909-1910 $14,688.49
Disbursements 1910-1911 12,458.37
$3,704.68
Special Fund $2,000.00
Building Fund 113.50
General Fund 1,591.18
$3,704.68

On motion of Mr. Hannen, and unanimously carried, these reports were accepted and the treasurer's and financial secretary's reports were passed to an auditing committee. The Chairman appointed the following Auditing Committee: Mr. Ashton, Mr. Hetherington and Miss Robarts.
Mr. Percy F. Woodcock addressed the Convention and said that during his recent visit at Ramleh, Egypt, Abdul-Baha told him when they were speaking of the Mashrak-el-Azkar, that there was a thousand dollars in Port Said for the Building Fund. That the friends in the Orient, having contributed toward the purchase of the land, were holding this money for the building. He read the following from Mirza Mulk:
"""The organization of worshipping places is not simply for drawing near to God, but it is to concentrate the Word or Spirit of God and cause the power of unity and oneness among the people. The Mashrak-el-Azkar is the symbol of the real church, which church is the Reality of the Christ. It is for this purpose that we should consider that

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 4, p. 11

STAR OP THE WEST

as the outward edifice can gather men of different nations in one place, likewise, the Reality of Christ has united the great races of the world together.+++
The Chairman called the attention of the Convention to the necessity of some action with respect to Bahai publication work.
On motion of Mr. Jacobsen, seconded by Mr. Mills, and unanimously carried, the Chairman was authorized to appoint a committee to ascertain and report the condition and needs of the Bahai Publishing Society, and to report its recommendation for Bahai publication work to the Convention at its session on Tuesday.
The Chairman appointed the following Committee: Mr. Mountfort Mills, Mr. Roy C. Wilhelm, Mr. Charles Mason Remey, Mrs. Ida A. Finch and Mr. Edwin Woodcock.
Mr. Hall addressed the Convention on the propriety and importance of giving an impetus to the publication work and as an aid and agency in promoting the Cause and in carrying forward the work of this Unity.

--PHOTO--
TAG-END OF THE OLD CONDITIONS
Shacks and bungalows occupying the narrow strip of land lying between Sheridan Drive and Lake Michigan, and obstructing the view toward the lake--the eastward view--from the site of the Mashrak-el-Azkar. These unsightly structures are the natural outcome of the conditions from which the land will be delivered as a sequel to the Bahai occupancy. A strong incentive for redoubled effort toward that happy result.

On motion, adjournment was taken until 10 a. m. Tuesday, May 2nd.
The Convention adjourned by following in prayer Mr. Greenleaf, who read the following:
O Compassionate God! Thanks be unto Thee, for Thou hast awakened me and made me conscious. Thou hast given me seeing eye, and favored me with a hearing ear; hast led me to Thy Kingdom and guided me to Thy path.
Thou hast showed me the right way and caused me to enter the Ark of Deliverance.
O God, keep me steadfast and make me firm and staunch.
Protect me from violent tests and preserve and shelter me in the strongly fortified Fortress of Thy Covenant and Testament.
Thou art the Seeing! Thou art the Hearing!
O Thou Compassionate God, bestow upon me a heart, which, like a glass, may be illumined with the Light of Thy Love; and confer upon me a thought which may change the world into a rose-garden, through the Spiritual Bounty.
Thou art the Compassionate, the Merciful. Thou art God of Great Beneficence!

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 4, p. 12

STAR OF THE WEST

MORNING SESSION--MAY 2, 1911.

The Unity sang the hymn by Mrs. Waite, """His Glorious Sun has Risen.+++
The Chairman led the Convention in the following prayer:
"""O my God! O my God! Unite the hearts of Thy servants and reveal to them Thy Great Purpose. May they follow Thy Commandments and abide in Thy law. Help them, O God, in their endeavor, and grant them strength to serve Thee. O God, leave them not to themselves, but guide their steps by the light of Knowledge and cheer their hearts by Thy Love. Verily Thou art their Helper and their Lord!
Report from. Committee on Publications:
"""The Committee advises that this Convention recommend to the incoming Executive Board, if ways and means become available, that they establish an office or distributing place in Chicago in charge of an efficient assistant, or assistants, to both recording and

--PHOTO--
ADVANCE GUARD OF THE NEW CONDITIONS
Nearly completed concrete bridge which, at the northwestern front of the Mashrrak-el-Azkar site, carries the beautiful Sheridan Drive across the canal intake. This bridge has elicited warm commendation from art critics as a pioneer example of the new architecture rendered possible by that quality of plasticity which is among the leading merits of the world's latest and best building material--reinforced concrete.

financial secretaries of the unity, who, in connection with assisting such secretaries, shall, at the same time conduct a sales and distributing agency for Bahai literature.
"""That the Executive Board in such work incur no other obligation or liability but that of gathering, distributing, se11ing and aecounting for such literature; that, after defraying the necessary expenses of such agency, the profits, if any, shall go to the Temple treasury.+++
On motion duly seconded, the report and recommendation was unanimously adopted.
Mr. Hall offered the following resolution:
{{Resolved}}, That the Bahai friends in this Convention recognize the immediate necessity of laying a foundation for the due and fitting publication of Bahai Teachings in America under the fostering aid of a General Bahai Publishing Board. We hereby address to the Bahai Friends assembled, and those throughout America, the appeal that they proceed forthwith to form a Publication Unity to affiliate and co-operate in this work with this Temple Unity. That such Publication Unity make its especial work the accumulation of a sufficient fund and the assembling and direction of agencies for translating, revising,

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 4, p. 13

STAR OF THE WEST

editing, printing and publishing Bahai Teachings in the English language. That it include in the scope of its work, the organization and maintenance of a Board, or Boards of Translation, Revision and Edition. While we recognize such work as essentially a part of the work of this Unity, nevertheless, the prosecution of such an enterprise involves incurring liabilities from which we should safeguard the funds contributed to the treasury of this Unity.
{{Therefore}}, we make the appeal for the formation of an affiliated Publication Unity, with which and in which, we will freely co-operate.
On motion duly seconded, the resolution was unanimously adopted.
On motion duly adopted, the Chairman was authorized to, and thereupon appointed the following Committee on Publications: Mr. Edwin Woodcock, Mr. Chares Mason Remey, Mr. Mountfort Mills, Mr. Albert R. Windust, Mr. Arthur S. Agnew.
The committee appointed to investigate the purchase of additional grounds, made the following report:
"""The question before us for recommendation is, as we understand it, shall a special effort be made to curtail, on the date of the next interest payment June 24, 1911, by as large an amount as possible, the balance due on the Mashrrak-el-Azkar site, for the purpose of saving interest; or, shall a portion of the funds now on hand be utilized for the purpose of acquiring additional land on the east water-front?
"""We are confronted by these facts: Ground bordering on the water-front, on the east side, is necessary in order to give us the desired outlook; there are about six lots which can now be-secured at, approximately, $2,000 each; the price of land is advancing, so that a year hence the purchase price of that desired will, in all probability, be several hundred dollars more; of the cash now on hand, $2,000 represents the special donation of Mrs. Goodall, who specified it as her wish that this amount be used for the purchase of additional ground; the mortgage is not due until June 24, 1912; by paying this $2,000 now on the mortgage, about $120 in interest would be saved, and finally, there is a question of policy involved; due to the instructions of Abdul-Baha that the erection of even temporary buildings shall not be undertaken until the debt on the land is paid.
"""This added ground is a part of the Temple site, but is an accessory holding. This view of the matter might justify your body in taking on the additional indebtedness of about $10,000 which would be entailed upon the present purchase, with the use of the $2,000 as a cash payment on a part at least of the needed land.
"""A method which would obviate any technicalities, so far as the present object is concerned, is recommended for your consideration. It is this: As Mrs. Goodall has so kindly given the $2,000 to enable us to perfect our plans by the acquirement of this needed ground, she, or some other Bahai would undoubtedly be willing to lend her name and co-operation further. In that event, the purchase of, say, six lots might be made by the Trustees, with a payment of $500 cash on each, and the lands thus acquired be transferred in escrow, or in trust, to Mrs. Goodall, or whoever would avail themselves of this blessed privilege, to hold them for the Bahai Temple Unity. In this way, the Temple Unity would have taken on no additional indebtedness, and when we were ready to take over the land, the balance could be paid. This would involve the necessity of the holder's taking care of assessments, etc., as they become due, but this could quite properly be a charge upon Temple funds in hand, if you so direct.
"""It is further suggested that the financial situation involved by this arrangement be outlined to the Bahais of America immediately and their co-operation asked in lifting this additional burden. Enough additional funds should now be diverted toward this land to secure all the necessary lots on a cash payment of say, $500 each.
"""With the proposed arrangements, the Treasurer would know what to depend on as a payment on the mortgage and could give proper notice, or take such other action as he and the others constituting the Board of Trustees, might deem best toward the application of other funds on hand or expected June 24, 1911.
Faithfully yours, ({{Signed}}) JOSEPH H. HANNEN,
CLAUDIA STUART COLES,
HOMER S. HARPER, {{Committee}}.

On motion of Mrs. Parmerton, duly seconded, this report was unanimously adopted.
On motion of Mrs. Coles, duly seconded and unanimously adopted, the Executive Board was authorized to proceed in accordance with the recommendations in the report.
Miss Robarts read letters of greeting from the London, England, Assembly and the Boston Assembly, in which they suggest that a Book of Common Praise be compiled, combining the best in the old with the best in the new, voicing the message of Unity, Brotherhood and Love. This matter was referred to be Publication Commission for their guidance and action, and they were directed to send greetings to the London Assembly.
On motion, the Convention adjourned until 2 p. m.

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 4, p. 14

STAR OF THE WEST

AFTERNOON SESSION

Hymns: """Tell The Wondrous Story,+++ also, """This is The Day of Certainty.+++
Mr. Hall presented the report of the Committee on Publication:
"""The Committee reports and recommends the appointment of the following Publication Commission, to whom shall be referred the entire publication subject embraced in the resolution adopted by this Convention, and it is recommended that this Publication Commission shall meet before this Convention adjourns and at once proceed to effect an organization to take up such publication work and to affiliate and co-operate with this Temple Unity Publication Commission:
Mr. Edwin Woodcock, Chairman, Mrs. Claudia Stuart Coles, Mrs. Ida Finch, Mr. Albert H. Hall, Mr. Mountfort Mills, Mr. Charles Mason Remey, Mr. Roy C. Wilhelm, Mr. Albert R. Windust and Miss Gertrude Buikema.
On motion of Mr. Hannen, duly seconded and unanimously adopted, the report of the Committee was accepted and adopted and the names recommended were elected as the Publication Commission.
Mr. Remey and Mr. Hannen addressed the Convention and presented an outline of the work of the Orient-Occident Unity.
The Auditing Committee reported as follows:
"""The Auditing Committee having examined the books of the Financial Secretary, Mrs. Corinne True, find the sum total of receipts of Bahai Temple Unity from April 25, 1910, to April 29, 1911, to be $10,401.59
Interest 52.00
$10,453.59

({{Signed}}) GRACE ROBARTS,
WALTER F. HETHERINGTON,
WILLARD H. ASHTON.+++

This report was duly accepted and placed on file.
The Chairman announced and ruled that the Convention now proceed to the election of an Executive Board for the ensuing year by an informal ballot, each delegate voting for nine members of the Executive Board.
The Chairman appointed as tellers Mr. Wilhelm and Mr. Eardley. The ballot was thus taken and duly counted and canvassed.
On motion by Miss Little, duly seconded and unanimously adopted, the informal ballot taken was made the formal ballot of the Convention and the nine friends receiving the highest number and plurality of votes by the ballot were declared the nine members of the Executive Board of Temple Unity, duly elected for the ensuing year.
The Executive Board thus elected was as follows:
Mrs. Corinne True, Mr. Arthur S. Agnew,
Mr. Albert H. Hall, Mr. Charles Mason Remey,
Mr. Bernard M. Jacobsen, Mr. Percy Woodcock,
Mr. Roy C. Wilhelm, Mrs. Annie L. Parmerton.
Mr. Mountfort Mills,

On motion by Mr. Mills, duly seconded by Mrs. Parmerton, and unanimously adopted, the Chairman was requested to appoint a committee of three, of which the Chairman would be one, to formulate greetings from the United Bahai Assemblies of America to the first Universal Races Congress, to be held at London, England, July 26-29, 1911. That the result of the committee's action be entrusted to Mr. Hall to be by him carried or sent to the Congress at his discretion.
The Chairman appointed as such committee Mr. Mills, Mr. Edwin Woodcock and Mrs. Coles.
On motion, the Chairman appointed the following committee, Mr. Remey, Mr. Hannen and Mrs. Coles, to draft and present greetings from this Convention to the Peace Congress to he held in Baltimore, Maryland, and to be addressed by Mr. Remey on Saturday afternoon, May 6, 1911.
On motion of Mr. Percy F. Woodcock, and unanimously adopted, a cablegram of greetings and love from this Unity and the Bahais in the west was directed to be sent to Abdul-Baha.
The Chairman appointed Mr. Percy F. Woodcock to send such greetings.
After the singing of the Temple Song, the Convention closed by all the delegates and friends joining hands in a great circle, while Mr. Rail read the following prayer:

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 4, p. 15

STAR OF THE WEST

HE IS GOD!

O God! O God! Thou dost look upon us from Thine unseen Kingdom of Oneness (beholding) that we have assembled in this Spiritual meeting, believing in Thee, confident in Thy signs, firm in Thy Covenant and Testament, attracted unto Thee, set aglow with the fire of Thy love, sincere in Thy Cause, servants in Thy vineyard, spreaders of Thy religion, worshippers of Thy Countenance, humble to Thy beloved, submissive at Thy door and imploring Thee to confirm us in the service of Thy chosen ones. Support us with Thine unseen hosts, strengthen our loins in Thy servitude and make us submissive and worshipping servants, communing with Thee.
O our Lord! We are weak, and Thou art the Mighty, the Powerful! We are mortals and Thou art the Great Life-giving Spirit! We are needy and Thou art the Powerful and Sustainer!
O our Lord! Turn our faces unto Thy Divine Face; feed us from Thy heavenly table by Thy Godly grace; help us through the hosts of Thy supreme angels and confirm us by the holy ones of the Kingdom of ABHA.
Verily, Thou art the Generous, the Merciful! Thou art the Possessor of great bounty and verily Thou art the Clement and Gracious!

----
IMPRESSIONS OF THE CONVENTION.
BY A DELEGATE.

The Convention of 1911 will always be remembered. There the realization was attained of the promise that """where two or three are gathered together in My Name, there am I in the midst of them.+++
Joy in service left no room for """votes of thanks.+++ For in every heart was stirred a new consciousness that """thanks+++ belong alone to God.
The universality of the Mashrak-el-Azkar (the dawning point of prayer) is making its deep impress upon the world. From Orient and Occident those who do not call themselves """Bahais,+++ as well as those who do, are contributing in tangible form to this universal idea; thus we find an English Interpreter of Classical Drama devoting some of the proceeds of her art to this object.
It is impossible now to estimate the results of the Temple Unity Convention, for they are woven into the very fibre of life.
When the Assemblies grasp the tremendousness of that which is coming into being through these annual meetings, even the smallest of them will be represented. For here is building into the great heart of humanity the """Temple of the living God;+++ the outer expression of which will be the Mashrak-el-Azkar in Chicago which includes every form of human service.
The phrase """Sea of Oneness+++ is tiled with new meaning to those who have been privileged to attend the recent Convention. May that """Oneness+++ reach out in loving service to the uttermost parts of the earth, thus fulfilling the prophetic words, """There shall be one fold and one Shepherd, one God and His Name one.+++

Chicago, May 4, 1911. GRACE ROBARTS.

----
Our Persian section this issue contains: (1) Tablet revealed by Abdul-Baha for the Persian friends about three years ago, immediately after the declaration of the Constitution in Turkey and Persia; (2) progress of the Cause in California, written by Dr. Fareed; (3) photograph of Dr. Fareed, Mirza Faragullah Khan and Mrs. Getsinger; (4) article pertaining to Public Education, as the foundation of the progress of every nation; (5) suggestion that the Persian Government appoint a commission to go to Europe, America and Japan to study their systems of public education and establish a system in Persia; (6) announcement of the marriage of Miss Laura C. Barney and Mons Hippolyte Dreyfus; (7) photograph of Miss Barney; (8) report of the Third National Convention of Bahais at Chicago; (9) photograph of Mr. Joseph H. Hannen, one of the Washingtqn, D. C., delegates to the above Convention; (10) Third National Peace Conference in Baltimore and Arbitration Treaty between America and England, and Mr. Chas. Mason Remey's address on the Bahai Movement before the said Congress; (11) Tablet from Abdul-Baha regarding his coming to America; (12) news from Alexandria, Egypt.

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 4, p. 16

STAR OF THE WEST

By the BAHAI NEWS SERVICE, 515 South Dearborn Street, Chicago, Ill., U.S.A.
Entered as second-class matter April 9, 1911, at the post office at Chicago, Illinois, under the Act of March 3, 1879.
----
ALBERT R. WINDUST--{{EDITORS}}--GERTRUDE BUIKEMA
{{Persian Editor}}.--MIRZA AHMAD SOHRAB, 1800 Belmont Road, Washington, D.C., U.S.A.
----
TERMS: $1.00 per year; 10 cents per copy.
{{Note}} -- Until further notice, distribution in the Orient is through Agents.
Make Money Orders payable to BAHAI NEWS SERVICE, P. O. Box 283, Chicago, Ill., U. S. A.
----
TABLET FROM ABDUL-BAHA.

HE IS GOD!

BAHAI CALENDAR.
MONTH NAME FIRST DAYS
<tablebreak>
Four Intercalary days.
({{Month of fasting.})}
----
Vol. II Chicago, (May 17, 1911) Azamat No. 4

We are pleased to present the following extract from a recent letter by Mr. Louis G. Gregory, of Washington, D. C. who is visiting Abdul-Baha in Egypt, not only because it contains news from that center, but for the timely suggestion it contains:
RAMLEH, EGYPT, April 15, 1911.

Have been here nearly a week and seen much of Abdul-Baha. The friends here show great devotion to the Cause, and many, not believers, show great reverence aad love for Abdul-Baha, some coming long distances to see him. He exercises the utmost kindness toward all.
Yesterday he called my attention to a Tablet revealed to friends in Persia, saying it was being sent to thirty believers. Sometimes, he said, one Tablet was sent to a hundred Persians, while many individual Tablets were sent to Americans. I answered that we were indeed highly favored. Later in the day he said be wanted me to go to Persia after a time, and see how beautiful were the lives of the friends, as they have been refined and purified by much suffering and they show forth great love and spirituality. I have observed that the secretaries of Abdul-Baha have no little difficulty deciphering proper names in letters sent here from America and suggest that these be written plainly; also, in view of the great amount of work, that supplication be made as brief as possible. In fact, I think it would be well if many Americans, as do the Persians, unite in one supplication. Thus, Abdul-Baha would have more time to give to others in need of Light, for in his presence is Light, Joy and Peace.
Tomorrow a party of pilgrims leave for the Holy City.

LOUIS G. GREGORY.

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 4, p. 17

--PERSIAN TEXT--

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 4, p. 18

--PERSIAN TEXT--

--PHOTO--

--PERSIAN TEXT--

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 4, p. 19

--PHOTO--

--PERSIAN TEXT--

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 4, p. 20

--PERSIAN TEXT--

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 4, p. 21

--PHOTO--

--PERSIAN TEXT--

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 4, p. 22

--PERSIAN TEXT--

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 4, p. 23

--PERSIAN TEXT--

1800 Belmont Road, Washington, D. C., U.S.A.

- SW, Vol. 2, No. 4, p. 24

brettz9

Re: Star of the West

Postby brettz9 » Tue May 06, 2014 11:31 pm

For anyone watching this thread, there is an announcement at viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5355 about volumes 1-12 now being proofed.

Return to “Discussion”