Exercise, training & sports during THE FAST

All research or scholarship questions
Baha'i Warrior

Re: Exercise, training & sports during THE FAST

Postby Baha'i Warrior » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:40 am

erposner wrote:I'm used to an active lifestyle. Does anyone have any solid advice and tips regarding how to combine fasting with exercise, training and sports? I'd like to be able to stay in shape during the fast without it being detrimental to my health. Thanks!

You can still exercise during the fast. Depending on how much you eat for breakfast, you can take a walk afterwards, or go to the gym and pump iron. Just don't work out toward sunset, when you're really hungry, because that will greatly interfere with your efficiency during the workout.

Baha'i Warrior

Postby Baha'i Warrior » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:28 pm

The fast isn't easy for any of us. I know that during the fast there is a huge lack of energy which makes it hard, for example, to lift weights that you could normally lift when you're adequately nourished. Only got enough energy for to lift light dumbells, which really aren't worth lifting unless all you're looking for is tone. The whole point of the fast is that it's a sacrifice, especially for us more active Baha'is. But it's a great opportunity to grow spiritually I think ("spiritual hypertrophy"), and that outweights (pun intended) these aforementioned physical inconveniences. Anyway, my response isn't the one you were probably looking for, so if anyone else has a similar situation and knows how to cope with it, please feel free to respond...

Return to “Discussion”