Question on the Station of Baha'u'llah

All research or scholarship questions

Do you believe Baha'u'llah is God and that we should worship him?

Yes, he is and prayers are to be directed to him
No votes
Yes he is, but prayers are not to be directed to him
No votes
No he isnt, he is only a Manifestation
100%
None of the above
No votes

Total votes: 5

hihellowhatsup

Question on the Station of Baha'u'llah

Postby hihellowhatsup » Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:13 pm

I think I'm a bit confused :?: :?: :?: ....I've seen in several Baha'i texts where Baha'u'llah has said things such as "Verily, I am God" and "There is no God but Me"...but Baha'is insist that God cannot incarnate Himself into the physical world. I have also seen where Baha'u'llah says "Am I not a man?" and "I am but a sevant of God". Which is true? If Baha'u'llah is God, does this imply that we should worship him? Any opinions, thanx

Ciao

Amalcas

Postby Amalcas » Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:17 pm

No, He is not God, as He has clearly said, but He does speak as God. That is, God speaks through Him. I can't find the quote, but He says something like "This is not of Me" when asked a similar question.
One may pray to Him, but worship would be too strong a relation, I think.

Tony

Postby Tony » Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:04 pm

IMHO your "poll" is based upon a false premise, since it attempts to introduce mutually-exclusive alternatives where none exist, as you may realise if you come to a fuller understanding of the meaning of words such as "prayer", "worship", "God" and "Manifestation".

Moreover, the apparent distinction between "God" and "Manifestation of God" is a difficult and challenging concept which has been given an elaborate explanation in the Baha'i Writings, perhaps because - being difficult and challenging - it has been such a source of conflict in the past. In any case the subject has now been thoroughly elucidated, so it is surely better to turn to this comprehensive and unifying explanation than to rely on potentially-divisive man-made abbreviations, if one is to gain a proper understanding of what the Baha'i Writings actually say.

The relevant passages are easy to find from any index of the Baha'i Writings - p. 53 of "Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah" might be a place to start.

urthshine

Postby urthshine » Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:50 am

Know verily that whenever this Youth turneth His eyes towards His own self, he findeth it the most insignificant of all creation. When He contemplates, however, the bright effulgences He hath been empowered to manifest, lo, that self is transfigured before Him into a sovereign Potency permeating the essence of all things visible and invisible. Glory be to Him Who, through the power of truth, hath sent down the Manifestation of His own Self and entrusted Him with His message unto all mankind. (Gleanings XLIX)

There are two other quotes that I think would shed some light on this matter, but I can't search for them in their full context now, however, I'll inadequately try to paraphrase.

One is "He doeth whatsoever He willeth" referring to the Most Great Infalibility of Baha'u'llah, which is the station God has reserved for His own Self.

The other, I recall, has to do with the fact that the highest station a believer can attain to is to make no distinction between the Will of God and the Will of Baha'u'llah, but as I cannot search for it now I hope others will elaborate on these themes.
"As ye have faith so shall your powers and blessings be." - 'Abdu'l-Baha

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:06 pm

You can not make a poll about "station of Bahá'u'llah" like that :!: :?:

Bahá'u'llah explained his own station in Kitab Iqan.

Shoghi Effendi also gives the best answer about the station of Bahá'u'llah in one his books: The Dispensation of Bahá'u'llah

I hope by reading these books, you get your answer. :D

Best regards
Hossein

Return to “Discussion”