Fasting: what food keeps you going throughout the day?

All research or scholarship questions
British_Bahai

Fasting: what food keeps you going throughout the day?

Postby British_Bahai » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:55 am

What food do you eat in the morning which stops you getting hungry the rest of the day?

This is what i used to have some mornings last year:
    Big cup of milk
    Main plate of food: Scrambed eggs(X2), potato waffles(X2) , baked beans
    2 slices of toast with butter
    Cup of tea or coffee and dunk some (maybe 5-6?) choclate biscuits in
:fressen:

If you have any good meal ideas which will stop me from getting hungry, please share!

Irish

Postby Irish » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:25 am

I think it is best to eat food which are high is carbohydrates, but not sugars. Brown things are best. For breakfast I usually just have a big glass of water, followed a few minutes later by a big bowl of porridge and a slice of brown bread with jam. These food release energy slowly and keep you going longer

British_Bahai

Postby British_Bahai » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:20 pm

i came across this:
http://www.bcca.org/bahaivision/docs/fa ... tml#Eating
it gives some useful tips

Baha'i Warrior

Postby Baha'i Warrior » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:42 pm

Just eat a lot of fats and proteins. Those will keep you full for the longest because they pass through the GI tract a lot more slowly than carbs. In fact, if you are concerned that you'll feel hungry for a large part of the day, after your meal in the morning take two or three tablespoon of cod liver oil. This will no doubt keep you full as one mere teaspoon of cod liver oil contains 40 calories. It's a liquid so it will take time for the body's satiety signals to kick in. (Don't eat too much though, excess Vitamin D can be toxic.) And also make sure to include a variety of foods, and include fruits and vegetables -- there is a controversy over multivitamins (they may not work, and even cause cancer!) and the best way to be healthy is just to have a balanced diet, and eat in moderation.

Coffee is not a bad idea either because the caffeine has the effect of making you feel less hungry. In most diet pills (which don't work), you'll find caffeine and green tea.

That said, I don't think it's bad to feel a bit hungry during the fast, but this is only my personal opinion. I think some of the hunger is good, because when you're hungry then you remember why you're hungry, and hopefully in that one will more closely associate with God (call to remembrance Him more often during the day). But again that's just one opinion...

British_Bahai

Postby British_Bahai » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:54 pm

Fasting starts tomorrow!
If Jonah doesnt mind, im going to turn this topic into a sticky for the duration of the fast...

British_Bahai

Postby British_Bahai » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:57 pm

Brussel sprouts are actually quite good. I used to have them last year and kept me going

Return to “Discussion”