Does the Faith teach the equality of the races...

All research or scholarship questions
hugobjzq

Does the Faith teach the equality of the races...

Postby hugobjzq » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:11 pm

in intelligence?

Where does it say that?

British_Bahai

Postby British_Bahai » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:52 pm

Here is one example

In the human kingdom itself there are points of contact, properties 68 common to all mankind; likewise, there are points of distinction which separate race from race, individual from individual. If the points of contact, which are the common properties of humanity, overcome the peculiar points of distinction, unity is assured. On the other hand, if the points of differentiation overcome the points of agreement, disunion and weakness result. One of the important questions which affect the unity and the solidarity of mankind is the fellowship and equality of the white and colored races. Between these two races certain points of agreement and points of distinction exist which warrant just and mutual consideration. The points of contact are many; for in the material or physical plane of being, both are constituted alike and exist under the same law of growth and bodily development. Furthermore, both live and move in the plane of the senses and are endowed with human intelligence. There are many other mutual qualifications. In this country, the United States of America, patriotism is common to both races; all have equal rights to citizenship, speak one language, receive the blessings of the same civilization, and follow the precepts of the same religion. In fact numerous points of partnership and agreement exist between the two races; whereas the one point of distinction is that of color. Shall this, the least of all distinctions, be allowed to separate you as races and individuals? In physical bodies, in the law of growth, in sense endowment, intelligence, patriotism, language, citizenship, civilization and religion you are one and the same. A single point of distinction exists -- that of racial color. God is not pleased with -- neither should any reasonable or intelligent man be willing to recognize -- inequality in the races because of this distinction.

(Abdu'l-Baha, The Promulgation of Universal Peace, p. 67-68 )
http://reference.bahai.org/en/t/ab/PUP/pup-28.html#pg68

iqtTcgUSh

Does the Faith teach equality of races in intelligence?

Postby iqtTcgUSh » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:52 am

As already demonstrated in another posting, the Baha'i Revelation certainly does teach equality of races in intelligence and other human qualities. Intelligence also includes emotional and social intelligence, which require cultivation, experience, and sensitivity. Sometimes they are even difficult to find in online discussions.

Jonah
Site Admin

Locking this thread.

Postby Jonah » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:02 pm

I'm locking this thread. Here's why.

Mr. Evenson, you asked last week why we "keep" deleting your posts. I replied that we only delete spam, posts that clearly attack the Faith, or -- and this is the relevant point -- posts that have been posted before by the same person.

You have posted your questions / thoughts about equality of the races a number of times over the years. Ditto your posts about abortion. As discussed briefly in our private correspondence a few years ago, I'll allow you to make these posts once, or at most once every few years, but not regularly.

I left one of your posts about racism and equality of the races here, from July 2001: http://bahai-library.com/wwwboard/messages01/372.html . I believe that in that thread you were able to express yourself fully. It also came up again just last month: http://bahai-library.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1451

I thus do not believe it needs to be discussed again. Especially since some people might feel that your intent in posting them repeatedly is to incite strife, more than inspire discussion.

Thanks, -Jonah

Return to “Discussion”