non-Bahai parents are not consenting to marriage

All research or scholarship questions
British_Bahai

non-Bahai parents are not consenting to marriage

Postby British_Bahai » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:44 pm

My friend has asked me to post this online.
I have posted the question here because im not familiar with the procedures…

My Bahai friend wants to know the consequences of these actions:

1 - if a Bahai marries a non-Bahai without consent (non-Bahai parents are not consenting)
2 – Will the voting rights of the Bahai be removed if the Bahai insists on not having a bahai marriage ceremony.

Also, what are some possible solutions to this difficult situation? (non-Bahai parents not consenting).

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:06 am

You really should bookmark http://bahai-library.com/file.php5?file ... ommunities and http://bahai-library.com/file.php5?file ... s_guidance .

See if you can find the relevant guidance and post it for us. :) If you still have trouble finding some, let us know.

all the best,
Brett

British_Bahai

Postby British_Bahai » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:41 am

Hi Brett, Thanks for the reply
This comment is from me (and not from my friend) :

I know the answer is in Lights of Guidance somewhere, but the thing is that I didnt have my copy at hand (& she doesnt have a copy either).
I did bookmark that site ages ago but when I visited it yesterday the link didnt work. It works today though -- strange...

Anyway Ive emailed her to let her know that someones replied...
The arrangement is that she is to email me if she wants me to post anything up on her behalf.
thanks again for your help :smile:

BruceDLimber

Re: non-Bahai parents are not consenting to marriage

Postby BruceDLimber » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:22 am

Greetings.

The short answer is, most definitely!

Indeed, administrative rights may be removed FIRST with the promise of reinstatement IF AND WHEN the individuals in question have a proper Baha'i marriage that meets all the usual requirements.

IOW, unless this happened inadvertantly out of ignorance (as may be the case with a new Baha'i, for example), this is NOT considered a trivial offense.

Willful violation of this law is NEVER acceptable and is treated accordingly.

I don't mean to portray the Faith as insensitive or fanatical, but Baha'i marriage laws are (and always have been) expected to be taken very seriously, both for the well-being of the couple and for the protection of the Faith.

(And I say this having just finished editing the entire Lights of Guidance book as part of the Baha'i Publications project.)

And the only solution is to delay the marriage until the parents either die or give consent. Please note that recalcitrant parents very often do indeed "come around" and agree when they eventually realize how sincere the couple really is!

Peace,

Bruce

British_Bahai

Postby British_Bahai » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:09 am

Thanks everyone for your responses.
She just emailed me right now:

Thanks for your help everyone, I appreciate it.

how does the consent thing work...
This is my main question. Ive skim read L.O.G. but havent come across anything.
is it a verbal agreement or are there administrative formalities where the parents have to sign a piece of paper stating they agree, (and if so, how does that happen?)

e.g. Do the parents have to sign a consent form infront of witnesses, and then later on at the marriage ceremony sign the papers?

Fadl

Postby Fadl » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:33 am

british_bahai wrote:Thanks everyone for your responses.
She just emailed me right now:

Thanks for your help everyone, I appreciate it.

how does the consent thing work...
This is my main question. Ive skim read L.O.G. but havent come across anything.
is it a verbal agreement or are there administrative formalities where the parents have to sign a piece of paper stating they agree, (and if so, how does that happen?)

e.g. Do the parents have to sign a consent form infront of witnesses, and then later on at the marriage ceremony sign the papers?

Hi BB,

The form of the consent required is determined by the LSA that is verifying the consent.

Loren

British_Bahai

Postby British_Bahai » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:34 pm

Many thanks to everyone who's replied.

When I last spoke to her, she told me that she's contacted someone about this.

Thanks again :2thumbs:

Return to “Discussion”