"No clergy in BahaiFaith" prophecised by previous religions?

All research or scholarship questions
BritishBahai

"No clergy in BahaiFaith" prophecised by previous religions?

Postby BritishBahai » Tue May 20, 2008 7:39 am

Hi everyone

I want to know if it has been prophecised in any previous scriptures (e.g. the Bible, Quran, Torah, etc) that in the next world religion (The Bahai Faith) there will specifically be no clergy.

Has anybody come across anything which says this?
Even if you cant remember the exact quote, if you can remember key words then that will also be helpful to me O:)

Thanks
"I have desired only what Thou didst desire, and love only what Thou dost love"

Fadl

Re: "No clergy in BahaiFaith" prophecised by previous religions?

Postby Fadl » Tue May 20, 2008 9:47 pm

Hi, BB!

How about things like the sun and moon being darkened, and the stars falling from the heavens? (see Bible, Qur'an, and cf the Iqan) 8-)

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Wed May 21, 2008 1:46 am

Maybe the quotes about not being able to intercede for another on that Day?

BritishBahai

Postby BritishBahai » Mon May 26, 2008 1:40 pm

Hi brett & loren, thanks for replying :)

Loren wrote:Hi, BB!

How about things like the sun and moon being darkened, and the stars falling from the heavens? (see Bible, Qur'an, and cf the Iqan) 8-)
Loren: :question: whats those quotes got to do with anything though? They are from the Bible and just give an indication to the time of when the next manifestation of God is going to come
( i.e. "when the moons darken and bla bla , then the son of man will appear.....)
^obviously im paraphrasing!

im a bit confused... please can you explain in more depth how these specific quotes say that in the next religion, there will be no clergy... :-k (thanks)

______

brettz9 wrote:Maybe the quotes about not being able to intercede for another on that Day?

Sorry 8-[ Im not quite sure what you mean...
Please can you go into a bit more detail... (sorry for my ignorance)
"I have desired only what Thou didst desire, and love only what Thou dost love"

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Tue May 27, 2008 1:37 am

The Qur'an has prophecies on none being able to intercede for another on that Day (of Judgment). I think it may be more of an emphasis of the accountability of individuals in making their own decision about the Manifestation of God.

As far as Loren's comment, in the Kitab-i-Iqan, Baha'u'llah interprets these verses on the darkening of the moon, falling of the stars, etc. as having as one meaning that the clergy may be in decay:

In another sense, by these terms [the terms "sun," "moon," and "stars"] is intended the divines of the former Dispensation, who live in the days of the subsequent Revelations, and who hold the reins of religion in their grasp. If these divines be illumined by the light of the latter Revelation they will be acceptable unto God, and will shine with a light everlasting. Otherwise, they will be declared as darkened, even though to outward seeming they be leaders of men, inasmuch as belief and unbelief, guidance and error, felicity and misery, light and darkness, are all dependent upon the sanction of Him Who is the Day-star of Truth. Whosoever among the divines of every age receiveth, in the Day of Reckoning, the testimony of faith from the Source of true knowledge, he verily becometh the recipient of learning, of divine favour, and of the light of true understanding. Otherwise, he is branded as guilty of folly, denial, blasphemy, and oppression.

(par. 34)

So, I don't know that there are exact quotes about clergy disappearing, but rather that those who reject (especially those who oppose) the Manifestation will be forced into decline. Shoghi Effendi elaborates on the process in Promised Day Is Come.

best wishes,
Brett

Return to “Discussion”