Keeping your breath fresh during the fast

All research or scholarship questions
Truth

Keeping your breath fresh during the fast

Postby Truth » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:49 am

Hey Guys,

How do you keep your breath fresh during the fast? Is there any guidance in regards to using breath fresheners or gum?

I'm fairly certain God would want us to uphold the virtue of cleanliness. Especially considering the fast is the optimal time for teaching.

I personally use these small strips that you place on your tongue that dissolve instantly and freshen your mouth. I'm not consuming anything, and I'm definitely not satisfying any form of hunger or thirst, so i figure it's permissible.

It'd still be nice to have some sort of confirmation though.
No need to ask in whose presence I stood, as I bowed myself before one who is the object of a devotion and love which kings might envy and emperors sigh for in vain!

BritishBahai

Re: Keeping your breath fresh during the fast

Postby BritishBahai » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:12 am

Poppa-Stylez wrote:I personally use these small strips that you place on your tongue that dissolve instantly and freshen your mouth. I'm not consuming anything, and I'm definitely not satisfying any form of hunger or thirst, so i figure it's permissible.

I know what youre referring to. I dont think they sell them in the UK anymore... :x
But anyway, I personally would consider that eating.
Theyve marketed it in such a way for it to be a "breath freshener", but the fact that it dissolves on your tongue and it contains sweetners etc, just makes it come across as being a sweet. Its got exactly the same ingredients as a polo or whatever, but theyve just changed the shape of it so that its a small strip. The concept is the same.

I know this sounds crazy, but this is what ive done in the past and it works for me: to carry a small bottle of mouthwash around with you. And remember to gargle, lol. Quite an important step! I remember when I was at uni, one of the cleaners walked in on me gargling. Such an embarassing moment, lol.. she gave me the weirdest look since it was mid-afternoon.
Washing your teeth can only do so much.

Thats all I can suggest...
"I have desired only what Thou didst desire, and love only what Thou dost love"

Truth

Postby Truth » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:27 am

The strips don't have any calories though. No sugar.

http://www.amazon.com/Listerine-Pocket- ... B0012E3N02

In our supermarket, it's in the dental section next to the mouthwash. It's marketed as oral care. If there's no calories, the body can't use it for much, therefore you're not really satisfying hunger or thirst. You're still running on empty.

Either way, the first week is horrible for my breath. I eat so much during the rest of the year because of training, i think there's a lot at the bottom of my stomach that gets burnt up. Thank God for the fast or that stuff would just keep building up!
No need to ask in whose presence I stood, as I bowed myself before one who is the object of a devotion and love which kings might envy and emperors sigh for in vain!

coatofmanycolours

Postby coatofmanycolours » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:30 am

My favorite is the Listerine Christmas dinner variety pak. It comes with turkey drumstick, potatoes w gravy, turnip flavour,
dressing w more gravy and, of course, cranberry. You can get them cheaper by the case and just keep dissolving
them on your tongue from dawn 'til dusk. It doesn't count as eating if you are detached from all things save God
while freshening your breath.

...but seriously, freshen your breath, pleassssseeeee!

-Peter

AdibM

Postby AdibM » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:21 am

I personally gargle mouthwash and spit it out, trying not to swallow any. If I happened to swallow any on accident then I'm sure God would forgive me. :lol: God knows our intentions and whether or not we're trying to cheat Him and the Fast, so I personally feel that if we make a conscious effort to freshen our breath while abstaining from nourishment, we'll be on good terms with Him and the fast is not yet broken!
"To be a Bahá'í simply means to love all the world; to love humanity and try to serve it; to work for universal peace and universal brotherhood." -- `Abdu'l-Bahá

BritishBahai

Postby BritishBahai » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:16 pm

Poppa-Stylez wrote:The strips don't have any calories though. No sugar.

http://www.amazon.com/Listerine-Pocket- ... B0012E3N02

In our supermarket, it's in the dental section next to the mouthwash. It's marketed as oral care. If there's no calories, the body can't use it for much, therefore you're not really satisfying hunger or thirst. You're still running on empty.

Either way, the first week is horrible for my breath. I eat so much during the rest of the year because of training, i think there's a lot at the bottom of my stomach that gets burnt up. Thank God for the fast or that stuff would just keep building up!
...No wonder! You and I are talking about two different things.

The one I was referring to is made by another company (just cant remember its name)
"I have desired only what Thou didst desire, and love only what Thou dost love"

MichaelTChase

Postby MichaelTChase » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:59 am

alKafi Volume 3 (the Bab stated all Hadiths are true from all sects) states one should wash out the mouth before every prayer - it would be best.

Return to “Discussion”