Organ Donation

All research or scholarship questions
K1R4

Organ Donation

Postby K1R4 » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:13 am

Not much of a philosophical question, but I'm curious; can someone tell me what rules are in place with regards to organ, tissue and blood donation?
I personally don't see anything wrong with it as you would be saving someone's life. As I have a very rare blood type, I try to give blood, and I feel pretty good about it - but I know that some religions do not allow it. Why is that?

Thanks,
Kira :)

Hasan

Postby Hasan » Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:57 am

Yeah, a sect Jehovah's Witnesses, thier offical page is http://www.watchtower.org/ , they say:

"For Bible-based reasons, Jehovah's Witnesses refuse blood transfusions"

They interpret this quotes of the Bible: Leviticus 7:26, 27; 17:10-14; Deuteronomy 12:23-25; 15:23; Acts 15:20, 28, 29; 21:25.

Also, their Bible is not the same of other Bibles, let's say the King James Bible or Reina Valera's versions (Spanish)

I know a boy who died for this, his family didn't want blood transfusion for him who needed urgent, they leave his boy die.

K1R4

Postby K1R4 » Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:14 pm

So are Baha'i's 'allowed' to give blood and such?

Hasan

Postby Hasan » Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:45 pm

Yes, we CAN donate organs, blood, etc.
When I was a child, my father donated his blood to me, and some years ago, I donated my blood for him. But, please be sure is YOUR blood your patient receives, unfortunately my blood didn’t arrive to my father, rather infected blood of some insane person. But, finally thanks to God, now we joy some acceptable health.

984. Organ Donor for Parts of the Body Including the Eyes

"In reply to your letter of October 1st inquiring about organ transplants and Bahá'ís acting as donors for parts of the body we refer you first of all to our letter of March 3rd 1967 in which we quoted to you a passage from on e of the beloved Guardian's letter on this subject.
"We are also able to give you the following from a letter of the beloved Guardian by his secretary: "There is nothing in the teachings which would forbid a Bahá'í to bequeath his eyes to another person or for a hospital; on the contrary it seems a noble thing to do." This passage is from a letter dated September 6th 1946.
"The House of Justice does not wish at the present time to go beyond the elucidation contained in the above statements."
(From letter of the Universal House of Justice to the National Spiritual Assembly of the British Isles, October 16, 1969)
(Compilations, Lights of Guidance, p. 290)

K1R4

Postby K1R4 » Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:56 pm

Thanks! I too think it is the right thing to do.

-Kira

majnun

Postby majnun » Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:29 pm

Dear Kira

these are external details.
Since you came in, not so long ago,
you may have realized nice things, internally.

Did you make that link (in valley one) that you
have to deprogram family values that were inscribed
in you by ma and pa, and that you must nor please nor
displease anyone on Earth ?

Majnun

Hasan

Postby Hasan » Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:47 pm

majnun wrote:.
Did you make that link (in valley one) that you
have to deprogram family values that were inscribed
in you by ma and pa, and that you must nor please nor
displease anyone on Earth ?

Dear Majnun, Are you talking about the Four Valleys of Bahá'u'lláh?

Return to “Discussion”