Does fasting end on the equinox, regardless?

All research or scholarship questions
Zephyr

Does fasting end on the equinox, regardless?

Postby Zephyr » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:15 pm

In the 29 December 1999 letter from the Universal House of Justice, it states "Thus all elements of the laws dealing with obligatory prayer and fasting are, without any exception, now applicable."

In the Aqdas, paragraph 16, states "We have enjoined upon you fasting during a brief period, and at its close have designated for you Naw-Ruz as a feast."

In the Aqdas, pg. 148 "The period of fasting commences with the termination of the Intercalary Days, and ends with the Naw-Ruz Festival.

Also, pg 177, Note 26: "Naw-Ruz is the first day of the new year. It coincides with the spring equinox in the northern hemisphere, which usually occurs on 21 March. Baha'u'llah explains that this feast day is to be celebrated on whatever day the sun passes into the constellation of Aries (i.e. the vernal equinox), even should this occur one minute before sunset (Q & A 35) Hence Naw-Ruz could fall on 20, 21, or 22 March, depending on the time of the equinox.

In light of the above quotes, considering that the equinox in my time zone will occur sometime before 6 AM tomorrow, so is there any guidance about not having to fast tomorrow? I can't seem to find anything about the equinox and the fast ending that has been published since the guidance about "all elements...without exception ....now applicable."

I know this is somewhat esoteric, but we have been having this discussion in our household. Wondering if there is any guidance.

Thanks

brettz9

Re: Does fasting end on the equinox, regardless?

Postby brettz9 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:50 am

See this thread. As far as all aspects of the laws being applicable, I think they more mean things like we should perform the substitution prayer in the case of missing prayer during "insecure circumstances", etc., but there are various details of probably all of the laws that still have not been determined (e.g., what constitutes an insecure circumstance, at what time of day the 24 hour period begins and ends for recital of 95 Allah'u'Abhas, etc.).

Brett

coatofmanycolours

Postby coatofmanycolours » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:50 am

"...at what time of day the 24 hour period begins and ends..."

Brett; Each day ends at dusk, at which point a new day begins.
Sorry for lack of a reference. Time to make oatmeal.

-Peter

coatofmanycolours

Postby coatofmanycolours » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:13 am

Brett; I read recently that Nawruz has been set, for now, as March 21, regardless
of the exact time of the spring equinox. This applies only to the Western world.
In the Middle East, as I seem to remember, the exact time of the equinox is used.

Sorry for the lack of a reference. I am eating oatmeal and staring at the clock.

-Peter

coatofmanycolours

Postby coatofmanycolours » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:17 am

Also, I think Baha'u'llah fixed the calendar on March 21 by fixing the intercalary days
and completing the work of the Bab.

Maybe only the celebration of Nawruz will change according to the exact equinox.

-Peter

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:15 am

Hello Peter and all,

As far as it being set for now on March 21, I cited a quote to that effect in this thread.

You may be thinking of how Baha'is in some Eastern countries celebrate the Birth of Baha'u'llah and the Bab according to the lunar calendar, but I know of nothing indicating they should celebrate Naw Ruz differently, and since no spot has been chosen, it would be hard for them to do.

However, in that same thread, I cite quotations which seem to strongly support the idea that the month of 'Ala will continue until Naw-Ruz (not its celebration, but the day). If the new year starts on March 22 one year (as again seems to be implied in the quotations in the other thread), then

"...Naw-Rúz could fall on 20, 21, or 22 March, depending on the time of the equinox.
Bahá'u'lláh has left the details of many laws to be filled in by the Universal House of Justice. Among these are a number of matters affecting the Bahá'í calendar."

(Notes to the Kitab-i-Aqdas, 26)

If Naw-Ruz changes, there will be such questions as these to answer, I think: Is Aries' appearance predictable enough beforehand to change the length of Ayyam-i-Ha before the fact? Will Ala' indeed be extended, as seems to be the case (see the other thread)? Anyways, my head is spinning on this one. I was at one point trying to develop a program to express how a Baha'i date would map to a Gregorian one reliably, and although leap year is easy enough (just add one day to Ayyam-i-Ha), if Naw-Ruz will also vary, this wouldn't be as easy, if possible at all, without astronomical information to predict.

Yes, the Baha'i Day begins at sunset (one quotation also in that thread as well as this one):

"You have no doubt noted that since the Bahá'í day begins at sunset and ends at the following sunset, no Gregorian day would be fully taken up by the observance of any one of the nine Bahá'í Holy Days;...

(From a letter written on behalf of the Universal House of Justice to the National Spiritual Assembly of Chile, July 6, 1986)

However....

The beginning of the 24-hour period for the recitation of the Long Obligatory Prayer has not been specifically stated in the Sacred Texts, and the Universal House of Justice has not made any ruling on this point.

(at http://bahai-library.com/file.php?file= ... exemptions )

Also, for those interested, there is this:

First, with regard to your questions concerning the obligatory prayers, the "Aqdas" does not give detailed instructions about them. The Universal House of Justice, however, will have to define the exact time for their recital, and lay down, if required, other detailed instructions concerning their use.

(at http://bahai-library.com/file.php?file= ... ng_prayers )

Return to “Discussion”