Kitáb-i-Badí' on-line

All research or scholarship questions
Hasan

Kitáb-i-Badí' on-line

Postby Hasan » Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:51 pm

Hi folks!
I am interested in the Kitáb-i-Badí', anyone knows if there is an English or Spanish version on-line? thanks.

Jonah
Site Admin

Postby Jonah » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:35 am

I googled it and found this:
http://www.h-net.org/~bahai/areprint/ba ... i/badi.htm

This is all I could find out about the Tablet in English-language sources in 1999: http://bahai-library.com/resources/tabl ... tline.html

-Jonah

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:45 am

Shoghi Effendi on God Passes By, p. 172 refers to it:
" ...the Kitáb-i-Badí', His apologia, written to refute the accusations levelled against Him by Mírzá Mihdíy-i-Rashtí, corresponding to the Kitáb-i-Iqán, revealed in defense of the Bábí Revelation;"...--these may be regarded not only as the most outstanding among the innumerable Tablets revealed in Adrianople, but as occupying a foremost position among all the writings of the Author of the Bahá'í Revelation."

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:11 am

Despite its high position in our Writings, and the likelihood that it elucidates other topics as well, the Kitáb-i-Badí' has, I would venture, most likely not been translated to date, given that its immediate audience was the Bábí community which was concerned with prophecies and perspectives from their standpoint, and since this community is now negligible if not non-existent in size, having converted to the Bahá'í Faith, it is not of as great of importance to translate at this time. Still, it is compelling to wish to see this extension of the supremely masterful Íqán.

Brett

supreme, really ?

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:24 pm

What do you mean by:

" the supremely masterful Íqán. "

Is this not how they made a god out of the Qur'an ?

The Iqan is no more important than other writings
of Baha'u'llah, except in your head. All the writings
are important, each covering specific topics usefull
to our evolution. By tagging a superlative etiquette
on the Iqan as you do , it relates the others as not so important.

We cannot say: ah the Iqan is supremely masterfull.
How about Gems ? Valleys ? Haykal ? and so many
more ? Maybe you dont remember, there is no firsts,
no lasts.

MJ.

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:02 am

Shoghi Effendi in a number of places speaks to the importance of this book (only next to the Kitáb-i-Aqdas in importance):

"of unsurpassed preeminence among the doctrinal...writings of the Author of the Bahá'í Dispensation" (Shoghi Effendi, God Passes By, 140)

“The Íqán is the most important book written on the spiritual significance of the Cause.” (Shoghi Effendi, Lights of Divine Guidance, vol. i., p. 37)

“...the most important book wherein Bahá’u’lláh explains the basic beliefs of the Faith.” (On behalf of Shoghi Effendi, 28 June 1930)

“...the most fundamental book on the Bahá’í Revelation."
(From a postscript in the hand of Shoghi Effendi on a letter written on his behalf to an individual believer, 25 August 1932)

“Foremost among the priceless treasures cast forth from the billowing ocean of Bahá’u’lláh’s Revelation ranks the Kitáb-i-Íqán (Book of Certitude)...” (Shoghi Effendi, God Passes By, 138)

He also refers in superlative degrees to the Kitáb-i-Aqdas that it "...may well be regarded as the brightest emanation of the mind of Bahá'u'lláh", the Seven Valleys as the "Greatest Mystical Composition" of Bahá'u'lláh, the Hidden Words as "of unsurpassed preeminence among the...ethical writings of the Author of the Bahá'í Dispensation" and The Súriy-i-Mulúk as "the most momentous Tablet revealed by Bahá'u'lláh".

The Báb Himself was related by Shaykh Hasan-i-Zunuzi to have said the following:

"In connection with one of these commentaries, the Bab one day asked me: `Which do you prefer, this commentary which I have revealed, or the Ahsanu'l-Qisas, My previous commentary on the Surih of Joseph? Which of the two is superior, in your estimation?' `To me,' I replied, `the Ahsanu'l-Qisas seems to be endowed with greater power and charm.' He smiled at my observation and said: `You are as yet unfamiliar with the tone and tenor of this later commentary. The truths enshrined in this will more speedily and effectively enable the seeker to attain the object of his quest.'

(Dawn-Breakers, p. 31)

Although I appreciate your concern about minimizing the importance of the other Writings, the fact that Shoghi Effendi used such terminology in his role as infallible Interpreter of Bahá'u'lláhs' Writings, should establish that it is possible to refer in superlative terms to certain books without minimizing the importance of others. Just because we value our eyes more than our fingernails (though both are part of our unified body) does not mean that our fingernails have no importance. The fact of their being part of the same body also does not mean that they are of equal importance. Bahá'u'lláh uses this example in Gleanings section 93.

As far as the subject of praise, Bahá'u'lláh says, for example, in reference to Persian, "whatever is said in praise of this language is meet and seemly" (cited in a letter of the House of Justice, 1997). To praise something highly is not to make a god out of it.

I would really suggest your studying the section on Gleanings that I mentioned for Bahá'u'lláh's description of how oneness does not mean equality of rank.

best wishes,
Brett

Return to “Discussion”