How should I act as a Baha'i to find inner peace?

All research or scholarship questions
ACT

Postby ACT » Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:36 am

HI,

I HAVE DECLARED TO BE A BAHAI OVER 6 YEARS AGO AND TILL NOW I AM STILL NOT FINDING ANY INNER PEACE REGARDING WHAT I SHOULD DO AND NOT DO AND WHAT I SHOULD SAY AND NOT SAY AND HOW I SHOULD ACT AND NOT ACT ECT ECT!

ALL THE QUESTIONS I MAKE CAN BE EASILY ANSWERED BUT THE PROBLEM IS TO UNDERSTAND AND OBEY THE ANSWER ..

I AM WRITING HERE, BUT STILL SO SCARED THAT YOU ( WHO EVER) MIGHT JUGDE ME FOR WHAT I AM - NON A GOOD BAHAI !

ON THE OTHER HAND I FEEL THAT ONLY GOD KNOWS WHAT I HAVE IN MY HEART...

I AGREE WITH MOST OF THE THINGS THAT I HAVE READ DURING THESE YEARS, STILL THERE ARE SOME OF THE LAWS AND PROCEGURES WHICH AREN'T CLEAR FOR ME.

IS IT NORMAL TO FEEL SO STRANGE? TO FEEL SO DIFFERENT FROM THE OTHER BAHAI'S ? TO FEEL SCARED TO SPEAK YOUR MIND BECAUSE YOU MIGHT SAY SAMETHING WRONG? OR TO FEEL SUCH AN IMPOCRITE BECAUSE YOU FAIL IN WHAT YOU SHOULD BE DOING - OBEYING THE RULES?

THANKS FOR ANYTHING...

ACT

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:08 pm

Dear Act,

I think anyone who is open to admit it would say that they have felt like an outsider at times or to struggle with the laws, even while accepting the authority of Baha'u'llah. None of us has the right to judge each other. So while we cannot guarantee someone might post something insensitively, hopefully you may feel comfortable expressing your concerns. Through consultation, you may find others have some insights, common experience, or encouragement to offer. As the Qur'an states, all have been created from a sorry germ, so, if you are sincere in raising questions (and are not simply trying to provoke people), you should have no concern about others. The only suggestion I would make is that, unless you are in a private audience among people you can trust, you may not wish to divulge so many details about your perceived failures (so you won't feel humiliated later), but rather perhaps just ask things in a fairly general way. But it's up to you.

take care,
Brett

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:59 am

Dear ACT,

I think I know how you feel. Baha'u'llah gives us guidence with regard to every aspect of our lives but the difficult thing is to follow His guidance with sincerity and devotion. I too feel a lot of frustration and despair at times when I've done things that are contrary to what a true lover of Baha'u'llah should do.

At the end of the day God would not ask us to do anything that we're not capable of. So I guess what we have to do is put in effort knowing that we can certainly beat the tests that come our way.

What helps me is to literally formulate a plan of action that I aim to follow in order to increasingly live the kind of life that is expected. Something that can't fail to inspire us in our spiritual journey is the example of the truly faithful in not only the Baha'i Dispensation, but all the Dispensations of the past.

Please don't feel like you are the only one that feels this way because I can tell you that there is at least one other person in this world that feels the same :)

It's not easy. I guess nothing worthwhile should be.

Jim Desson

Postby Jim Desson » Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:15 pm

Aside from obedience to the laws and participation in the community in some form or other, I have for many years felt strongly that the road to happiness is by reading the Bahá’í Writings, saying Bahá’í prayers and meditating every morning and evening. It is this daily engagement with the Word of God that nourishes the heart, mind and soul. In several Writings, for example the Kitab-i-Iqan, it is love for Bahá’u’lláh, as the perfect reflection of God’s Names and Attributes, that brings us true happiness; this twice daily communion with God is an excellent means to growing closer to God. The other component is of-course action.

Faith in God necessitates both knowledge and action. For as we daily struggle to more and more reflect that divine reality within us, the more we reflect God and the more we desire to love him. A good strategy in life is to choose small incremental goals; so, if you don’t already reading the Writings, pray and mediate every morning and evening, start with one short prayer, one sentence and reflect on the prayer and sentence for at least a few minutes.
The other type of action is to take individual initiative and follow the guidance of the Universal House of Justice and the International Teaching Centre. Fortunately at this time, there are three clear areas to participate in service to God and the community: Ruhi study circles, Children’s classes and regular devotional meeting. This combination of daily private spiritually intimate communion with God, along with the development of skills by with one can serve God and the growth of the Bahá’í community, can be a great source of happiness and personal fulfillment.
If you have not already done so, take a Ruhi book one which includes two types of initiative (action): (1) reading and praying every morning and evening and (2) visiting at least two Bahá’ís and study a prayer with them.
:)

Return to “Discussion”