Reason for not teaching in Israel

All research or scholarship questions
Hasan

Reason for not teaching in Israel

Postby Hasan » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:26 am

The Universal House says: "However, in keeping with a policy that has been strictly followed since the days of Bahá'u'lláh, Bahá'ís do not teach the Faith in Israel".
http://bahai-library.com/?file=uhj_teac ... srael.html

Does anyone know the reason of this policy?

Thanks,

Hasan

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:17 pm

Probably to avoid Baha'is getting entangled in the politics and charged emotions of the area...

Keyvan

Postby Keyvan » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:17 am

well we can say that things are better for us because of that law

were not a threat to anyone and can do as we please

by this were not trying to start a colony or create some brand of Haifan nationalism

im sure Baha'u'llah was looking out for the future

but thats just speculation

Baha'i Warrior

Postby Baha'i Warrior » Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:56 pm

All we can really do is speculate. But it has been made very clear in the Writings, in many places, that we are not to teach in Israel, so that should be good enough for us. In fact, as you know, if an Israeli wants to become a Baha'i, he has to go to another country to do so. And Baha'is don't even hold nineteen day feasts and they are not to have a spiritual assemblies either. They have other Baha'i activities, though. It's probably political, but that's speculation. The Writings also comment on how Palestinians have a lot of hate in their hearts and they are in darkness, so maybe that also has something to do with it. But those are just guesses of course.

[Note: that last sentence on the Palestinians is not based on any official Baha'i text, at least not any official Baha'i text I have read. It's from pilgrim's notes.

Return to “Discussion”