1844 Edict of toleration

All research or scholarship questions
Seeker

1844 Edict of toleration

Postby Seeker » Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:48 pm

The 1844 edict of toleration is supposed to mark the end of "the time of the gentiles". Apparently, Jews would be able to return to their homeland as a sovereign nation. This edict is important to the Bahai faith because it marks the time when the Second coming of Christ is expected. That is, at the end of "the time of the gentiles, Christ would come". It is said that the edict of toleration was made in 1844 and this is the date that the Bahai Faith was born.

Unfortunately, I've tried to find out about this momentous occassion for Jews in Judaic and many other encyclopaedia but with no success.

1.Basically, where is this edict documented outside the Bahai scriptures?

2. And what does it mean if there's no documentation of this momentous edict independent of Bahai records? Did it actually occur and what are the implications?

Input would appreciated.
Thank you.
-Tsiri

majnun

Postby majnun » Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:42 pm

Dear Tsiri:

I think i saw something about this in the book by
mister William Sears (a theif in the night, is the title).
You know, there is so many things to read from the begining
(the Bab) that we sometimes forget where is located argument x or z.

This is connected to the 1260 prophecy wich is mentioned in the
Gospels and in the Quran.

For a person who integrates the ways of thinking prescribed
in the newer (written) revelation, these details may seems less
important than the appliction of their new "philosophy". I mean that
after a while, we dont need so much prophecies and proofs to be convinced, and to appreciate the nice advantages offered by Baha'u'llah.

I you ever immerse your mind into the Valleys, and begin to climb on that special (inner) road, no external arguments or intellectual rethoric or prophecies should be needed to increase your level of happyness.

This is why i said that those things, i saw them as "folklore", and it shock
Keyvan a bit, but that is how i see i after 2 years of "immersion". After you accept something, proofs and prophecies made for us to accept it, are not necessary anymore, although it may be still be an argument to invite another person to try the "way" you live by.

I remember that my curiosity was utterly spiked by all these prophetic arguments (1260ah, 1844, etc) , before I decided to enter into a baha'i center to know more. Let me stop here, and hope for a greater peace for your person.

Majnun.

Seeker

Postby Seeker » Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:21 am

Dear Majnun:

Thank you for your response. I do understand that to an avid believer, who has been in the faith and totally trusts the supported writings, details such as 1844 edict of toleration are not that important.

In fact, I can make an analogy. That avid believer can be likened to lets say a person who has been drinking water from a certain pond all his life. To that person, the water in the pond quenches his thirst and thats all he cares about. He does not care too much about the safety of the water because he is still alive and he always quenches his thirst using water from that pond.

This may not be the case for another picky person who has never drank from that pond. Maybe this picky person wants to make sure that the water is safe: is there lead in the water? Is the water contaminated with some mercury?. Because to him although the water, in the short term, seems to help the first guy, nobody know about the long-term safety of the water. So in order to convince this guy that there's no mercury or lead in the water, you need to test the water.

I know this is an extended analogy but my point is that, seekers need to understand some of these prophecies upon which the Bahai faith was founded. The edict of toleration marks the end of the time of the gentiles. Apart from books by Bahai authors such as Sears, as you mention, I have not come across any independent source for such a historic event.

I also think that Bahais are enjoined to teach the faith and so I was just hoping that someone would be able to point me to alternate sources.
Thanks a lot
Tsiri

majnun

Let's all go swimming !

Postby majnun » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:42 pm

Oh yes, it was a definitive element that triggered my
interest (curiosity) and to seek further. The elucidations
of Abdul Baha in chap 9, 10, 11 of the Mufadivat (Answers to Questions)
may also be a sort of catalist to open many eyes. After I did read that,
numbers 1260, 1844, 1267 and even 1309 mentionned in the Qur'an (chap 18)
were no more so mysterious. The Rev. of John has many interesting
numbers like : the entry measures 12 x 12 (= 144).
The Bab (the door, the entry) declared on the 144 th day of 1844.
Also the mention of a cube, that mesures 12 x 12 x 12 (= 1728)
I think verse 23 (of may ?) of chapter 13 is the second of the verses of the Qur'an that mentions the word bab alone (singular, no suffix or prefix) and it is verse no 1728. All those things i use to have fun to collect while leaving the shore of the Qur'an and approaching the sea of the persian bayan. I dont feel the need of this to impress me or anyone, but it might be interesting to put all this data in order, well veryfied, maybe to match the book called "proof of the Quran concerning the coming of Baha'u'llah" (we find this book easy with the "Ocean" program on the internet)

It mignt be good, as a marketing strategy, to link arguments concerning prophecies announcing the Bab and Baha'u'llah, with precise numbers and dates, so that interested people may verify by themselves in the Qur'an, or in the Gospels, even in the Torah.
The Submitters group offers an interesting point on number 19, but beware my friend, two much calculations may give us a headache.

What i mean is that when you seek for the sea, it is usefull
that a road panel indicates: 2 kilometers to go, then turn right,
and you will be facing the sea.

But when we are 20 meters in it, and learning how to swim,
we don't need that indication to tell us where the sea is:
because we are already in it, swiming !

Majnun.

seeker

Postby seeker » Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:07 am

Again, I'd appreciate it if someone could help out with this topic.

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:43 am

edict of toleration
http://64.233.187.104/search?q=cache:oC ... tion&hl=en

Enjoy your studies while you can
does thou not feel the storms a brewing?
Be carefull a lot will be washed out to sea
leaving only what is His

oneness
dh

1844 !!!

And what happened in 1844? Two things of significance!

1. There was the Edict of Toleration. The above Scripture (Rev. 11:1-2) pointed out -

the holy city shall they tread under foot
forty and two months.
After Jesus came as the Messiah of the Jews, the Jews were scattered and not permitted to enter the Holy Land. This bothered the Jews greatly because their were many verses in Isaiah, and the other prophets, that had said that He (the Messiah) would gather them together, but the opposite occurred with Jesus. However, Jesus said,
Matthew
23:37O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!
23:38 Behold, your house is left unto you desolate.
So they were dispersed, and not allowed to return, but now in 1844 there was given the Edict of Toleration. Here is some information on that from another researcher.
"During the 1970's I was researching parts of the Bahá'í Faith and, out of curiosity, wrote about the Edict of Toleration to the PUBLIC RECORD OFFICE in London. The following is the reply I received.
"A translation of the edict, an acknowledgement from Stratford Canning to the Sublime Porte, and an accompanying letter from Canning, dated 23 March 1844, is in Foreign Office, Turkey, FO78/555/No.49. There are several other letters from Canning in the same volume on the question of the religious intolerance of the Turks. The draft of a letter from the Foreign Office, dated 16 January 1844, which made plain the attitude of the British Government and which provided the direct impetus for the negotiations leading eventually to the issue of the edict, is in FO78/552/No.4."

-you can obtain copies of the English language documents that refer to it from the Public Record Office in London.
------another source--------------
H.G.Guiness, who in his book, "Light for the Last Days" (probably published around the turn of the century) wrote "the decree [Edict of Toleration] was published in the 1260th year of the [Muslim] calendar. It is dated March 21st 1844. This date is the first of Nisan in the Jewish year, and is exactly 23 centuries [2300 years] from the 1st Nisan, B.C. 457, the day on which Ezra states that he left Babylon in compliance with the decree given in the seventh year of the reign of Artaxerxes."

So there we have it -------->

"Scriptures"
DAN 8:14 1844 C.E. from our previous proof regarding Christ
7:25 1844 C.E.
9:27 1844 C.E.
12:7 1844 C.E.
Luke 4:25 1844 C.E.
REV 11:2 1844 C.E.
:3 1844 C.E.
:9 1844 C.E.
:11 1844 C.E.
12:6 1844 C.E.
:14 1844 C.E.
13:5 1844 C.E.

The next and final essay, in this series of 15 essays on the Most Conclusive Proof, discusses the significance of these numbers.

Return to “Discussion”