Discuss bahai books you have read.

All research or scholarship questions
Ali

Discuss bahai books you have read.

Postby Ali » Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:35 am

I would like to start this discussion " Discuss bahai books '' because it will realy help those that havent got the enthusiasme to read, and others that have not got the time.
:lol:

Baha'i Warrior

Postby Baha'i Warrior » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:30 pm

For a while, when I had signed my Baha'i card at 16, I wasn't really that into reading the Writings, I was more into computer games, things that wasted my time, etc. But I will tell you what had a very big impact on me—Shoghi Effendi's Writings. His Writings actually inspired me to read more, on my free time that is. The Advent of Divine Justice and The World Order of Baha'u'llah are really a great read, because it speaks right to you, and even though it was written a while ago, it is still very relevant today. Like, for instance, in The Advent of Divine Justice, the Guardian warns us of the "prostitution" of the arts and all the corruption that is happening in our society today:

"Such a chaste and holy life, with its implications of modesty, purity, temperance, decency, and clean-mindedness, involves no less than the exercise of moderation in all that pertains to dress, language, amusements, and all artistic and literary avocations. It demands daily vigilance in the control of one's carnal desires and corrupt inclinations. It calls for the abandonment of a frivolous conduct, with its excessive attachment to trivial and often misdirected pleasures. It requires total abstinence from all alcoholic drinks, from opium, and from similar habit-forming drugs. It condemns the prostitution of art and of literature, the practices of nudism and of companionate marriage, infidelity in marital relationships, and all manner of promiscuity, of easy familiarity, and of sexual vices. It can tolerate no compromise with the theories, the standards, the habits, and the excesses of a decadent age. Nay rather it seeks to demonstrate, through the dynamic force of its example, the pernicious character of such theories, the falsity of such standards, the hollowness of such claims, the perversity of such habits, and the sacrilegious character of such excesses.."

http://bahai-library.com/writings/shogh ... dj.html#30

Is that quote great or what?? That’s right in your face!! You want to know how you should dress, what movies, music, other media you should avoid, and what instead you should do, just read that quote. It’s amazing that the Guardian foresaw all of this back then.

I love the way He insults the corrupt aspects of Western culture: "prostitution of art and of literature," "easy familiarity" (i.e. hugging, kissing the opposite sex, even though a lot of Baha’is do this), "misdirected pleasures," etc.

Anyway, I guess there's a different Baha'i book that "does it" for each individual Baha'i, but that did it for me and got me into the Writings of Baha'u'llah, the Bab, and 'Abdu'l-Baha (the Guardian provides many relevant quotes from Baha'u'llah and His Son).

—Warrior

majnun

reading along

Postby majnun » Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:45 am

Dear Ali:

Do you mean people who work so much they
dont have the time to read much ?
The expression "no enthousiasm to read" is kind of strange,
but i guess this maybe the result of too much nintendo.
Unfortunately, the writings are not to be transfered into
a video game or a movie soon, unless the UHJ puts movie
producers to fill a sort of special work. I cannot imagine
a movie playing a chapter of the Qur'an nor the Bahai writings,
because scriptures are "ingested" slowly, then some reflexions (inner toughts) will occurs inside the mind of a person. The rest is yours to
discover.

Besides that, discussions over what we read is somewhat
seeing things with the eyes of another person, witch is contrary to
the basic bahai philosophy. And if some comparisons on how other people
perceive the whole thing maybe interesting, i think your own inner eye will not lie to you. The danger that i see is that emails and forums and articles on Scriptures may sometimes becomes personal "tafsirs" of verses, like it became a custom in Islam and Christianity. The risk of distorting what the Messenger wrote, is always present.

So reading (reciting) by yourself maybe the finest way to start a beautiful voyage. However, if something is not clear to your own eyes, we have highly experienced local supervisors who can help us clarify what may sometimes seems not clear enough to us beginners.

Majnun.

Return to “Discussion”