1844 and the Edict of Toleration

All research or scholarship questions
J-L-Jensen@comcast.net

1844 and the Edict of Toleration

Postby J-L-Jensen@comcast.net » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:24 am

Friends,
Searching on the web for confirmation that there was an Edict of Toleration signed in Turkey in March, 1844, I found this site containing the following quotation. Thought it might be of interest.
Joan Jensen J-L-Jensen@comcast.net

http://www.webpal.org/webpal/c_renewal/ ... mcp/14.htm

So they were dispersed, and not allowed to return, but now in 1844 there was given the Edict of Toleration. Here is some information on that from another researcher.
"During the 1970's I was researching parts of the Bahá'í Faith and, out of curiosity, wrote about the Edict of Toleration to the PUBLIC RECORD OFFICE in London. The following is the reply I received.
"A translation of the edict, an acknowledgement from Stratford Canning to the Sublime Porte, and an accompanying letter from Canning, dated 23 March 1844, is in Foreign Office, Turkey, FO78/555/No.49. There are several other letters from Canning in the same volume on the question of the religious intolerance of the Turks. The draft of a letter from the Foreign Office, dated 16 January 1844, which made plain the attitude of the British Government and which provided the direct impetus for the negotiations leading eventually to the issue of the edict, is in FO78/552/No.4."
-you can obtain copies of the English language documents that refer to it from the Public Record Office in London.
------another source--------------
H.G.Guiness, who in his book, "Light for the Last Days" (probably published around the turn of the century) wrote "the decree [Edict of Toleration] was published in the 1260th year of the [Muslim] calendar. It is dated March 21st 1844. This date is the first of Nisan in the Jewish year, and is exactly 23 centuries [2300 years] from the 1st Nisan, B.C. 457, the day on which Ezra states that he left Babylon in compliance with the decree given in the seventh year of the reign of Artaxerxes."

majnun

Postby majnun » Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:18 am

Joan Jensen

Postby Joan Jensen » Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:40 pm

Important because I had been reading posts to some Christian-based web sites that claimed there was no such edict in 1844, as part of their refutation that the Babi and Baha'i Faith fulfilled prophecy. Then a much earlier post on THIS site asked for documentation, but no one had replied to that question. So for the record, in case someone is still (or in future will be) looking for such documentation, they can find it here.

Joan

Return to “Discussion”