Random pages

All research or scholarship questions
brettz9

Random pages

Postby brettz9 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:59 pm

Hi all,

Just letting you know I set up a basic means of getting a random page of the Baha'i Writings or a few other significant/recommended works (e.g., Bahiyyih Khanum, Baha'u'llah and the New Era, and older works like Baha'i World Faith or those with pilgrim's note status like 'Abdu'l-Baha in London).

Just visit the page at: http://bahai-library.com/random/ and refresh any time you want to have a new page. I might add a more refined interface, make it accessible from the main page, etc., but thought I'd start with this...

Have fun!

Brett

Truth

Re: Random pages

Postby Truth » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:57 pm

Sweet as! I was looking for something like this.

I actually started creating my own random quotes generator type thingy, for the purpose of reading the writings morning and night (a quick quote if I'm on the run) but never really got around to finishing it. Might get back to it soon though. It's at http://bahaiquotes.org/
No need to ask in whose presence I stood, as I bowed myself before one who is the object of a devotion and love which kings might envy and emperors sigh for in vain!

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:06 pm

Very cool, Truth! The site looks attractive--glad you shared it publicly...

I hope that someday we might be able to allow user tagging on the Writings here, so anyone could make their own collections (e.g., as RSS feeds, with a randomizer, etc.), including finding them (or showing them) in the context of the full Writings. Would also go well with a goal shared by a number of Baha'i programmers: allowing side-by-side (or otherwise contextual) display of the Writings with annotations, etc. Lots of possibilities if we could find the time or programmers for it...

best wishes,
Brett

Truth

Postby Truth » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:36 pm

Sounds like a brilliant idea! If you ever need a programmer resource, I'm up for it! I studied software engineering, but somehow ended up as a System Engineer. Been looking at getting back to my roots... 8-)
No need to ask in whose presence I stood, as I bowed myself before one who is the object of a devotion and love which kings might envy and emperors sigh for in vain!

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:17 pm

Truth, I sent you a personal email. Anyone else possibly interested in contributing to a developer's project, let me know.

Btw, speaking of daily reminders as at your site, one future project I am very interested to see--is to create an add-on for Firefox and the like to allow one to query a web service to get sunrise/sunset times, etc. for determining dawn prayers, obligatory prayer, or fasting times and providing these optionally as alert reminders. I think it is a pity that Mozilla Sunbird/Lightning (or better yet, if one of these worked inside Firefox) doesn't seem to have a public API for other extensions to use (though haven't looked into it too much yet) in order to add tasks, etc. Maybe we'll need to invent our own calendar to do this! (e.g., like the Baha'i Calendar Add-on, but with the ability to add tasks, appointments, etc.).

best wishes,
Brett

BruceDLimber

Postby BruceDLimber » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:52 am

Hi!

Another resource you should check out and/or obtain is the Ocean package, which includes concordances for Baha'i scriptures and the scriptures of many other religions as well!

It's offered by the US Baha'i Education Office, and you should be able to find links to it on their website:

www.bahai-education.org/ocean

Good hunting! :-)

Bruce

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:18 pm

Ocean is a nice software package, but I don't think that it's being served from the Baha'i Education office--just a website with the name "bahai-education.org".

best wishes,
Brett

Return to “Discussion”