Wish list for authoritative Baha'i books online?

All research or scholarship questions
brettz9

Wish list for authoritative Baha'i books online?

Postby brettz9 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:20 pm

Hi,

Was just wondering whether other people knew of any authoritative works of the Writings online (primary sources, but also potentially compilations if they contain Writings not available elsewhere) which are not yet online (for English)?

The only such major works I can think of and are aware of still not online are periodicals like Star of the West, Baha'i World, etc., and some year books like "The Baha'i Centenary" (see http://en.bahaitext.org/Year_books for others).

Best wishes,
Brett

MontanaDon

Re: Wish list for authoritative Baha'i books online?

Postby MontanaDon » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:22 pm

i doubt that you're going to find much for authoritative materials that are not already on-line.

i would like to see an effort to get 'older' scholarly materials and privately published memoirs. Neither of these categories are likely to be selling worth beans and there is some evidence that free etexts actually increase sales of such materials.

BTW, the scans of the SOTW and BN are highly variable as editable pdf docs. Some volumes are pretty good and some are really poor. it really would have helped to have had them done in 300 dpi greyscale. i've re-done a few pages and using recent inexpensive OCR software have an error rate of around 1:1000, i.e a few characters wrong (other than diacriticals) per page.

Don C
----------
Understood properly, all man's problems are essentially spiritual in nature.

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:05 am

Thanks very much, Don. I should clarify that by wanting ones that are not "online" I mean ones not in proofread text form (so the files can be quickly opened and their content can be readily copy-pasted without plugins or extra software).

Feel free to add any image or OCR improvements over at http://en.bahaitext.org/Star_of_the_West . Volumes 1-5 are now at least proofread, shouldn't need OCR for those (unless someone felt a need to improve the quality of the individual image file uploads).

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:07 am

Also, as far as OCR, for those without OCR software, Google docs can do this for you for smaller files.

Return to “Discussion”