Another film of 'Abdu'l-Baha?

All research or scholarship questions
brettz9

Another film of 'Abdu'l-Baha?

Postby brettz9 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:35 pm

Hi,

In Mahmud's Diary, I came across this line (for April 15, 1912 (mistakenly labeled as April 13)):

"The Persian servants and American believers were with `Abdu'l-Bahá when He was at His hotel. A photographer with a movie camera received permission to photograph Him, together with His companions."

I don't think this was the film with which people are familiar, as it is sounds like it had been made at His hotel.

While I presume no one has found this (assuming it would have been preserved), but since it would be so valuable, I wondered if any thought had been given to somehow trying to find it?

Best wishes,
Brett

pilgrimbrent

Re: Another film of 'Abdu'l-Baha?

Postby pilgrimbrent » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:11 pm

the Archives does not have a copy in Wilmette. Unless we are exceptionally lucky and this film was somehow preserved by a film library, at this point, a full century later, it is most likely lost to history. At one point copies were for sale through Star of the West. Brent

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:31 pm

Thanks a lot, Brent. Would be something else... :)

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:02 pm

Found the following at http://bahai-library.com/hopson_abdulbaha_new_york . As this following excerpt mentions 'Abdu'l-Baha's stay at the time being to the Hotel Ansonia, and since p. 38 of Mahmud's Diary refers to the Hotel Ansonia in an entry apparently corresponding to April 11th while Promulgation of Universal Peace, p. 18, refers to the Ansonia Hotel for a talk on April 16, 1912, it appears that the "photographer with a movie camera" who "received permission to photograph Him, together with His companions" mentioned, as indicated earlier in the thread, in Mahmud's Diary (from p. 42) on April 15th, might perhaps be the same as the individual in the following reference who belonged to a "commercial movie company" (and apparently for whom 'Abdu'l-Baha "appeared at the entrance of the Ansonia for the making of a short film"). I wonder if any of the existing film studios might have such a record (even if it is, per the following, shorter than the film in the Baha'i community's possession). Its mention of it being for "newsreels" and being "used in movie houses" that were "scattered around the country" might help further narrow down the search.

THE FILMING OF 'ABDU'L-BAHÁ

During His stay at the Ansonia, a commercial movie company had requested to make a short film of 'Abdu'l-Bahá for its newsreels. The Master replied at once, "Khaili Khub" (Very good). Some of the friends were upset and explained to Him that this film would be scattered around the country and used in movie houses. He replied: "Besyar Khub" (Most good!)

Consequently, one day, He appeared at the entrance of the Ansonia for the making of a short film. "It was a wonderfully impressive sight, for as He approached the camera, he was exhorting Bahá'u'lláh to bless this means for the spreading of the Heavenly Cause throughout the world."

The friends arranged for a longer film to be made at the home of Mr. and Mrs. MacNutt on June 18, and they also made a recording of 'Abdu'l-Bahá's voice chanting "Glad tidings! Glad Tidings!"
"Rejoice! Rejoice! The Sun of reality has dawned!
Rejoice! Rejoice! The New Jerusalem has descended from Heaven!
Rejoice! Rejoice! The Glory of Carmel has shone on the worlds!"
Although unskilled handling of the camera had 'Abdu'l-Bahá going out of frame and back again, this is a precious legacy, the record of the Beloved Master in action. The film and recording have been duplicated and sent out to all countries where Bahá'ís resided at the time.

Seventy years later, the film has been incorporated into "The Quiet Revolution," a 58 minutes major film on the Bahá'í Faith, a 1985 BBC production released on English national television and in New York City in January 1986.

At the end of this memorable day, 'Abdu'l-Bahá traveled 40 miles to visit a Jewish friend who was sick, returning home at night utterly exhausted.

Edited to add link to BBC film; note that the film excerpts begin at 8:40

Return to “Discussion”