Any recommendations or thoughts about birthdays?

All research or scholarship questions
Prometheus

Any recommendations or thoughts about birthdays?

Postby Prometheus » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:53 am

Thinking about celebrating personal birthdays... is there any recommendations from the Writings?

brettz9

Re: Any recommenadtions or thoughts about birthdays?

Postby brettz9 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:42 am

I have not seen any.

'Abdu'l-Baha did not wish His birthday remembered as it was on the Declaration of the Bab, and Shoghi Effendi did not wish his birthday remembered (WOB, p. 151), though both of these cases could be interpreted (as per context as well) as being due to their wish for their respective positions not to be overemphasized.

I have seen (sorry, but I cannot find it now to confirm, but I remember noting it at the time for interest in this topic) that a message had been sent by the House of Justice wishing a happy birthday to Dizzy Gillespie (I think it was his 75th birthday--a birthday on which he held a concert which Wikipedia notes he was to have dedicated to the centenary of Baha'u'llah's passing). This might not be an encouragement to commemorate them, but it would seem, at the least, to suggest there nothing being against people holding them.

BritishBahai

Re: Any recommenadtions or thoughts about birthdays?

Postby BritishBahai » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:24 pm

I havent seen any, either, but it does bring to mind this quote from Abdulbaha:

"If we are not happy and joyous in this season, for what other season shall we wait and what other time shall we look?"
( Im quoting from memory, so it might not be exact / word-for-word)

There's a sentence in the Kitab Aqdas which says that when listening to music, it shouldnt cause us to do (undignified) things.
( Im paraphrasing quite badly here!)
I will edit my post later on to insert the quote. I cant do it right now because Im using the internet on my mobile.
"I have desired only what Thou didst desire, and love only what Thou dost love"

Return to “Discussion”