Shia Muslim attacking the faith at bahaiforums.com

All research or scholarship questions
lightuponlight

Shia Muslim attacking the faith at bahaiforums.com

Postby lightuponlight » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:32 am

There is a Shia Muslim from Iran attacking the faith over at bahaiforums.com . He's been there about a month now.

He is claiming that the official Baha'i translations are distorted, picking apart one of Ahang Rabbani's translations, and generally throwing mud on the Faith.

He is polite but very determined to make the Faith look bad, and is well educated about the Faith.

If there are any Baha'is who can read Farsi and Arabic fluently and who wish to counter these attacks on the Faith at one of the highest traffic Baha'i Forum sites, that would be appreciated.

iranpour

Re: Shia Muslim attacking the faith at bahaiforums.com

Postby iranpour » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:50 pm

Hello lightuponlight

I have read the threads you have mentioned in that Forum one of them was, “Baha'u'llah's orders and sayings about non-Baha'is” and was sorry that I was no more the member of that forum because once I quoted one of my writings which I had posted to a Non-Baha’i forum and the manager without inquiring, brought a charge against and condemned me for quoting from other one’s post and I left the Forum.

There was another thread by the title, “Is God's "inmost Essence" manifest?” that I loved to answer and I didn’t. This thread and the other threads posted by him were removed from the Forum and I couldn’t find the wisdom of removing the old posts from the Forum.

However I have the answers to the questions set forth on those threads. If you are a member of that Forum, would you please write to our Muslim friend on those threads to repeat His questions in our Forum to have his answers.

By the way I want to ask you whether you know that your fictitious name is one of the titles of Baha’u’llah in the Qur’an. (Qur’an, 24:35) “Baha” means “Glory” or “Light” and He was from the district of Nur (Light), the Province of Mazandaran North of Iran, and as His Own words testify, the LIGHT rose from the LIGHT: “My name is Baha'u'llah (Light of God), and My country is Nur (Light).(God Passes By, Pages 183-196).

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:57 pm

Just a small note on "light upon light"...

Maybe your purpose was just to inform the original poster, but I just wanted to point out the Baha'i Writings use this phrase in contexts which do not necessarily refer to Baha'u'llah:

"If, however, the child be trained to be both learned and good, the result is light upon light."

(Selections from the Writings of 'Abdu'l-Baha, p. 136)

iranpour

Postby iranpour » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:21 am

As you know, the phrase, “light upon light” which has taken from the Qur’an is used and prevalent in the Persian literature as, “Wonderful!”, “Grate!” “Splendid!”. So it is in the Baha’i writings as your quote which means, it would be WONDERFUL if the child be trained to be learned and good.

As you clarified, it is not in the Baha’i texts, but in the Baha’i books of proofs as the following one, I have seen that they bring as a prophecy referring to the coming of Baha’u’llah:
In the Baha’i Centre of the United Kingdom, there is “Proofs for Baha’u'llah from the Qur’an” as follows:
“The word Baha’ means splendour, glory and brightness. These are the qualities of light. Therefore, the word Baha’u’llah means the Glory and Light of God. The Qur’an prophesies of Baha’u’llah as the ‘Light of the Lord’ in many verses. Abdullah Yusuf Ali translates this as ‘the Glory of the Lord’ in the following verse:
“The earth shone with the Glory of its Lord and the Book was placed…”
‘The Glory of the Lord’ is an exact translation of the word Baha’u’llah. The verse then says that ‘the Book was placed’. This is a prophecy for the Book of the everlasting covenant of God given to Baha’u’llah, known as the Kitab-i-Ahd.
In another verse, the Qur’an describes the Light of God as a lamp contained in a glass. Following this, the verse says “LIGHT UPON LIGHT”. This contains a prophecy for the name of the ancestral homeland of Baha’u’llah which is known as Nur. The word ‘Nur’ in Arabic means Light. Baha’u’llah was in fact the [Nur Ala Nur] ‘Light upon Light’ foretold in this verse”.
And the verse that I quoted from “God Passes By” in my post, is Baha’u’llah’s words Who considering the verse of the Qur’an, addressing a Muslim authority, says: “My name is Baha'u'llah (Light of God), and My country is Nur (Light).

lightuponlight

Postby lightuponlight » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:37 pm

Well I took the name from Abdu'l-Baha's reference because I liked the phrase, and because I am a nature photographer.

I did not know it was also a title of the Blessed Beauty!

Return to “Discussion”