Israel must become more inclusive (?) cooperative (?) or

All research or scholarship questions
jenniferatemple

Israel must become more inclusive (?) cooperative (?) or

Postby jenniferatemple » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:42 pm

I very recently read a quote by Abdu'l-Baha to the effect that Israel must become more inclusive or "fail". I can not, for the life of me, remember where I read this or the context and did not know how I might bring it up in Ocean. Now I am starting to think I might just be crazy. Has any one seen such a quote and if you have, can you cite the work?

brettz9

Re: Israel must become more inclusive (?) cooperative (?) o

Postby brettz9 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:33 am

There is a similar, but perhaps more positively worded statement within an article on pp. 195-196 of Star of the West, volume 10, issue 10, p. 195:

...I went to him curious as to his views of the future of Palestine, but he seemed more eager to talk of a matter of world importance—the league of nations...

Has Hope for Palestine.

For Palestine Abdul-Baha has the brightest hopes. "It will develop day by day now," he declared, "in industry, in commerce, in agriculture, under an enlightened government. Up to the present the people of this country were like lost sheep. Now they have found their shepherd.

"If the Zionists will mingle with the other races and live in unity with them, they will succeed. If not, they will meet certain resistance. For the present I think a neutral government like the British administration would be best. A Jewish government might come later.

"There is too much talk today of what the Zionists are going to do here. There is no need of it. Let them come and do more and say less.

"The Zionists should make it clear that their principle is to elevate all the people here and to develop the country for all its inhabitants. This land must be developed, according to the promises of the prophets Isaiah, Jeremiah and Zachariah. If they come in such a spirit they will not fail.

Must Be Open to All.

"They must not work to separate the Jews from the other Palestinians. Schools should be open to all nationalities here, business companies, etc. The Turks went down because they attempted to rule over foreign races. The British are always in power because they keep fair and promote harmony.

"This is the path to universal peace here as elsewhere—unity. We must prevent strife by all means. For 6,000 years man has been at war. It is time to try peace a little while. If it fails, we can always go back to war."

(Interview of 'Abdu'l-Baha by Marion Weinstein, Globe and Commercial Advertiser, New York, July 17, 1919, published in Star of the West, vol. 10, issue 10, p. 196, at http://en.bahaitext.org/Star_of_the_Wes ... e_10#pg196 )

Of some additional relevance on this topic is the following statement of Shoghi Effendi:

The Baha’i Faith is entirely non-political and we neither take sides in the present tragic dispute going on over the future of the Holy Land and its peoples nor have we any statement to make or advice to give as to what the nature of the political future of this country should be. Our aim is the establishment of universal peace in this world and our desire to see justice prevail in every domain of human society, including the domain of politics. As many of the adherents of our Faith are of Jewish and Moslem extraction we have no prejudice towards either of these groups and are most anxious to reconcile them for their mutual benefit and for the good of the country.

("Letter to the United Nations Special Committee on Palestine", July 14, 1947, at http://bahai-library.com/shoghieffendi_ ... _palestine )

jenniferatemple

Postby jenniferatemple » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:13 am

Thank you. I suspect this is what I was looking for. No doubt what I had read previously was a bad paraphrasing.

jenniferatemple

Reading the Bible RE: Zechariah, Isaiah & Jeremiah

Postby jenniferatemple » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:57 pm

Zechariah: 8:20-22 Isaiah 2: 2-4 Jeremiah 3: 15-18
Question: Are these the verses Abdu'l-Baha is referring to in Star of the West Vol. 10 pg. 196 Or are there more appropriate verses. I've been searching the Bible text but in that interview he did not give chapters & verses nor did he indicate what part of the text he was referring to.

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:16 am

Cross-referencing with our multilinear Baha'i Bible, I see:

* Zechariah 8:22: a sole pilgrim's note attributed to Shoghi Effendi at http://bahai-library.com/moffett_pilgrims_notes .
* Isaiah 2:2-4: a number of references, including God Passes By (apparently), a letter from the Universal House of Justice, and Century of Light.
* Jeremiah 3:15-18: no specific references exist here to these 4 verses.

Best wishes,
Brett

Return to “Discussion”