Are all past laws implicitly rejected by a new Dispensation?

All research or scholarship questions
brettz9

Are all past laws implicitly rejected by a new Dispensation?

Postby brettz9 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:58 pm

Hi all,

While the Bab made (some of?) His laws conditional on the acceptance of Baha'u'llah, what about the laws of the Qur'an which were not explicitly rejected by Baha'u'llah? Might they considered still binding?

My inclination would be that unless explicitly endorsed, the social laws would not apply. The following seems to me to lend support to this view:

"As regards your question concerning the sacrifice of 19 choice lambs which the Bab is reported to have made on the day of Nahr: This is indeed an Islamic custom. But the sacrifice in question was performed by the Bab prior to the revelation of His own laws, and at a time, therefore, when the laws and practices of Islam had not yet been entirely abrogated by Him."

(From a letter written on behalf of Shoghi Effendi to an individual believer, August 22, 1939, in Lights of Guidance, no. 1549)

However, my hunch is that certain guidance might still apply if it does not seem time-bound (e.g., the advice not to be too loud in prayer in Qur'an 17:110). And of course the spiritual themes of virtue are already considered eternal principles which do not alter between Dispensations.

Does anyone know of any further guidance on this topic which might shed light on the question? Again, I know many practices were explicitly rejected by Baha'u'llah, but I am wondering about those which were not.

Thanks and best wishes,
Brett

brettz9

Re: Are all past laws implicitly rejected by a new Dispensation?

Postby brettz9 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:41 am

This was drawn to my attention and would seem to draw further support for the idea mentioned that the laws are not still in effect by default unless rejected, but are in fact all superseded unless confirmed--but it would still be nice to see something to this effect, if there were, regarding whether this is a general principle from Dispensation to Dispensation or just with the Bayán to the Aqdas:

'Abdu'l-Bahá has written: "The Bayán hath been superseded by the Kitáb-i-Aqdas, except in respect of such laws as have been confirmed and mentioned in the Kitáb-i-Aqdas."

(Note 108 to the Kitáb-i-Aqdas)

Return to “Discussion”