Segregation of the sexes

All research or scholarship questions
brettz9

Segregation of the sexes

Postby brettz9 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:30 pm

Does anyone know any quotations speaking to the topic of the segregation of the sexes (or pilgrims' notes shedding light on it)?

Islamic hadith apparently prescribed this, as do a number of cultures and religions. Clearly, practice would suggest that this is not at all to be maintained in the Baha'i Faith (even if it had been practiced earlier in the Holy Land to a degree given the expectations of the Eastern pilgrims), but I'd be interested to know whether any authoritative sources have spoken to the topic (or if there are relevant anecdotes of the Baha'i Central Figures), whether in terms of speaking to public segregation practices (like women and men sitting separately in a place of worship or women expected to be accompanied) or private segregation (e.g., directives for men and women not to be alone with a member of the opposite sex).

Boys and girls needing to share the same curriculum, the practice of the veil being abandoned, etc., are separate from this issue. The early Baha'is in Iran conducted boys and girls schools (presumably according to the customs of the time), and there is this one letter from the ITC which speaks to the permissibility of meetings for women or men only (while also indicating the goal should be toward unity), but that is about all I can think of or am aware of: http://bahai-library.com/uhj_women_only_meetings

brettz9

Re: Segregation of the sexes

Postby brettz9 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:42 pm

"Question: Do the Bahá'í women go without veils in the East?

"Answer: It is not possible for them to do so universally yet, but the conditions are not nearly so restrictive as they were. The Bahá'í men and women meet together. This is the beginning of woman's emancipation from the thralldom of centuries. Qurratu'l-`Ayn was really the liberator of all Persian women."

(Promulgation of Universal Peace, p. 251)

I came across the above which explicitly refers to the positive nature of men and women meeting together...

Return to “Discussion”