Simulation hypothesis/quantum physics and the Faith

All research or scholarship questions
Helium

Simulation hypothesis/quantum physics and the Faith

Postby Helium » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:17 am

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has done any research on how the Baha'i teachings fit with the latest scientific advances in physics, in particular the simulation hypothesis of the universe and quantum mechanics. Things I'm thinking of are Baha'u'llah's analogy of the puppet show seen at the Shah's court in the Summons to the Lord of Hosts, "beginning that has no beginning and the end that has no end" metaphysical passage in Lawh-i-HIkmat, references to Plato as "divine" for his insight in the Tablets Revealed After Kitab-i-Aqdas, etc.
I'm preparing a fireside on this subject in 2 months, using this youtube video as the basis (link below) and the Baha'i online research tools, and would be grateful for more ideas on resources/quotes, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqULEE7eY8M

MontanaDon

Re: Simulation hypothesis/quantum physics and the Faith

Postby MontanaDon » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:18 pm

https://medium.com/@vahidhoustonranjbar/
Vahid Houston Ranjbar is a physicist currently working at the RHIC collider in Brookhaven National Labs. His field is beam dynamics and spin physics.

http://irfancolloquia.org/pdf/lights9_klebel_cosmos.pdf
Emergence, Enchantment, Entanglement and Excellence of the Cosmos - Wolfgang Klebel
Klebel has written a number of articles that touch on the subject.
----------
Understood properly, all man's problems are essentially spiritual in nature.

Helium

Postby Helium » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:15 pm

Hi MontanaDon, thanks so much - just what I was looking for ! Have a good one :-)

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:57 am

Chapter 79 of Some Answered Questions, "The Reality of the World of Being" provides a counter-point to the comparison of this world as a comparative dream.

There are a few quotes at https://bahai9.com/wiki/Age_of_universe , but from Promulgation of Universal Peace (and Chapter 41 of Some Answered Questions if not others) you can find a number of quotes referring to material reality as having no beginning (and in fact, a Creator necessitating that there always be a creation).

Helium

Postby Helium » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:17 pm

Hi Brettz9, thanks for sharing, will be using those references for sure! Thought I'd share this one back: The simulation hypothesis states there is no objective reality, and sure enough - here is also a quote in the Gleanings that absolute existence is with God alone, and another one from Lawh-i-Hikmat on the world being continuously regenerated and negating materialism as a valid view of the world. More quotes/ideas are very welcome from everyone.

"Such an existence is a contingent and not an absolute existence, inasmuch as the former is preceded by a cause, whilst the latter is independent thereof. Absolute existence is strictly confined to God, exalted be His glory" - Baha'u'llah, Gleanings.

And this one from Lawh-i-Hikmat.

"As regards thine assertions about the beginning of creation, this is a matter on which conceptions vary by reason of the divergences in men's thoughts and opinions. Wert thou to assert that it hath ever existed and shall continue to exist, it would be true; or wert thou to affirm the same concept as is mentioned in the sacred Scriptures, no doubt would there be about it, for it hath been revealed by God, the Lord of the worlds. Indeed He was a hidden treasure. This is a station that can never be described nor even alluded to. And in the station of "I did wish to make Myself known", God was, and His creation had ever existed beneath His shelter from the beginning that hath no beginning, apart from its being preceded by a Firstness which cannot be regarded as firstness and originated by a Cause inscrutable even unto all men of learning. That which hath been in existence had existed before, but not in the form thou seest today. The world of existence came into being through the heat generated from the interaction between the active force and that which is its recipient. These two are the same , yet they are different...the irresistible Word of God which is the Cause of the entire creation, while all else besides His Word are but the creatures and the effects thereof... Verily, the Word of God is the Cause which hath preceded the contingent world – a world which is adorned with the splendors of the Ancient of Days, yet is being renewed and regenerated at all times… Look at the world and ponder a while upon it. It unveileth the book of its own self before thine eyes and revealeth that which the Pen of thy Lord, the Fashioner, the All-Informed, hath inscribed therein. It will acquaint thee with that which is within it and upon it and will give thee such clear explanations as to make thee independent of every eloquent expounder… Those who have rejected God and firmly cling to Nature as it is in itself are, verily, bereft of knowledge and wisdom…”

Fadl

Postby Fadl » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:08 am

In the "valley of wonderment," of the Seven Valleys, Baha'u'llah mentions the dream where "without eye and ear and hand and tongue a man puts all of these to use...". It seems to me, that this is supportive of the simulation hypothesis, because the dream state or dream world could be likened to a simulation being run within ourselves.
"Thus doth the Nightingale utter His call unto you from this prison. He hath but to deliver this clear message. Whosoever desireth, let him turn aside from this counsel and whosoever desireth let him choose the path to his Lord." - Baha'u'llah

Return to “Discussion”